Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Passing Numeric Drill Drown parameters

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Passing Numeric Drill Drown parameters
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have an 11 parameter drill down. The Alphanumeric parameters pass through fine with .QUOTEDSTRING. Yet, when I try code a Numeric WF forces the .QUOTEDSTRING after the &var. The summary fex works as expected, but when I call the detail fex I receive the following error:
  (FOC281) ALPHA ARGUMENTS IN PLACE WHERE NUMERIC ARE CALLED FOR 

What is the best approach? Is there a way to suppress WF from authoring .QUOTEDSTRING?

Related summary fex code below. &CURYM and &NMONTHS are the only numeric parameters:

-DEFAULT &NMONTHS = 3
-DEFAULT &CURYM = 201508 
TYPE=DATA,
     ACROSSCOLUMN=N1,
     DRILLMENUITEM='RentTrends',
          FOCEXEC=IBFS:/WFC/Repository/BI_Development/~nspyrison/Rent_Trends/MAIN_4_detail.fex( \
     Property_Property_Status=&Property_Property_Status.QUOTEDSTRING \
     Property_Market=&Property_Market.QUOTEDSTRING \
     Property_Property=&Property_Property.QUOTEDSTRING \
     Lease_Rent_Trend_Ready_Flag=&Lease_Rent_Trend_Ready_Flag.QUOTEDSTRING \
     Property_AD_DM_Prop_BU_Unit_Area_Director=&Property_AD_DM_Prop_BU_Unit_Area_Director.QUOTEDSTRING \
     Property_AD_DM_Prop_BU_Unit_District_Manager=&Property_AD_DM_Prop_BU_Unit_District_Manager.QUOTEDSTRING \
     FIELDTYPE=&FIELDTYPE.QUOTEDSTRING \
     DISPBY=&DISPBY.QUOTEDSTRING \
     CURYM=&CURYM.QUOTEDSTRING \
     NMONTHS=&NMONTHS.QUOTEDSTRING \
     ),
          TARGET='_blank',

Thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicholas Spyrison,

_____
WF 8.1.04
Win 7// Windows Server 2012 R2
SASS OLAP Cube

posted Hide Post
WF automatically inserts the .QUOTEDSTRING since it does not know the value of your parameter which is OK.
You just need to make sure the numeric variables in your detail report at the WHERE section are not in quotes.

Also one good technique is to turn on the echo on your detail report in order to see what is being passed by summary report.
Add the following line on top of your detail report

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

Have a great weekend.

All Releases
All OS, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
The GUI won't accept the &Var without quotes. I also tried breaking it out LT/GT to no avail.

WHERE RENT_TRENDS.RENT_TRENDS.Date_YYYYMM FROM '&CURYM' TO '&CURYM3'; 

does it matter that I am passing &CURYM and using SET on &CURYM3?

Thanks, you too!

_____
WF 8.1.04
SASS OLAP Cube

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Nicholas,
What is the format of your Date_YYYYMM field?
If it is numeric then you should not have quotes around your &variables.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Nicholas,
you are getting error 281 on your drill report. It does not matter how you pass or set the variable. It is all about the WHERE statement.
If the field Date_YYYYMM is an alpha the you require to have single quotes around your variables and if it is numeric, you cannot have the quotes. but id the field is a date format, the QUI will insert quotes but also will work without the quotes.

To make the story short we need to find out the format of Date_YYYYMM.
If you do not have access to metadata, you can create a new program that contains this line to get a list of all the fields and their formats:

?FF RENT_TRENDS

All Releases
All OS, All Outputs

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Date_YYYYMM came through the adapter as A6. The data also has Date_Calendar_Month_YYYYMM as I6.

I switched over to Date_Calendar_Month_YYYYMM (I6) without the single quotes and am still receiving the (FOC281), but the error is occurring in my Dialogue Manager or Optional Parameters and not the WHERE statement. Is WF being picky about the pre-report order or is it related to the format in the WHERE statement?

Thanks again!

_____
WF 8.1.04
SASS OLAP Cube

Expert
posted Hide Post
use an IF statement when comparing a field to a constant. so much less overhead, and no agita.
you can leave the quotes off the numeric value.

you can also do some investigating on the passed paramters...at the top of your fex, do some research, examine the .TYPE and .LENGTH of your incoming parms.
.TYPE will give you A or N
-TYPE &|Date_YYYYMM: &Date_YYYYMM &Date_YYYYMM.TYPE
-EXIT

sometimes you'll have a parm such as 00043
you can clean it up by
-SET &myparm = &myparm * 1 ;
and then when you re-examine your parm, you'll get 43 and the .TYPE will be N.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
-SET &DATE_YYYYMM_FIXED = &DATE_YYYYMM ;

Use &DATE_YYYYMM_FIXED in the Where clause.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
susannah-

a WHERE IF? I am under the impression that I am not working with constants.

Thanks, I have already been doing similar investigation.

John-

Date_YYYYMM is a field. I have tried the Define version of DATE_YYYYMM_FIXED I am running into other issues.

_____
WF 8.1.04
SASS OLAP Cube

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nicholas Spyrison:
susannah-

a WHERE IF? I am under the impression that I am not working with constants.

Susannah meant IF instead of WHERE. As long as you're comparing simple expressions, you can use IF.

That said, we never use IF because we don't find the performance gain significant enough to bother with the distinction. We don't use TABLEF either.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Alright,

-SET &CURYM_FIXED = &CURYM ;

Use &CURYM_FIXED in your Where clause.

The SET command will assign the quoted string to a new variable, using the new variable without quotes around it effectively removes them.

I don't run into this problem because I create my own html pages for input, but this would appear to be a simple solution to remove the quotation marks.

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Finally got to a working version! There was an issues with the \'s for the Drill Down. Instead of passing just the value, WF was passing value&\R= . Not sure if this was related to passing more parameters than the GUI supports(9).

After changing the drill down to 1 long line, it was just a few changes in the Detail WHERE statements before the report was working.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions everyone!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Nicholas Spyrison,

_____
WF 8.1.04
SASS OLAP Cube