Focal Point
“on demand paging” checked. But still takes the same time to get the result. Why?

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8771070802

January 18, 2007, 03:17 PM
Lisaqq
“on demand paging” checked. But still takes the same time to get the result. Why?

I checked “on demand paging” check-box. (just as SET WEBVIEWER = ON in version 5.2.8).

But WebFocus still takes the same time to get the data.
Is there any way that we can solve this problem – just search/ read in part of the data in tables. So WebFocus will not take long time for the long report.

Thanks a lot!
January 18, 2007, 03:58 PM
Prarie
If you really want to just see the first 100 records...for testing purposes...add the line
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 100

I've never used on demand paging...So can't answer that one.

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
Hi Lisa
How quickly the first page can be shown depends totally on the complexity of the report processing as well as the size of the answer set.
The limitation is that the full report needs to be already available on the Reporting Server before the first page can be sent to the WebFOCUS client (and from there, to the browser).
This is why you may not be seeing better performance.
Regards,
Rich

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012
The full report is still materialized by the reporting server, then delivered page at a time from the Web tier to the Browser. ODP saves rendering time on the browser (imagine a 100 page HTML), not server access time.

Record limit works well... So does deesigning your reports with "major BY" at a time in mind. I've done reports that have a next/previous hyperlink in the summary/heading to get the next/previous major BY field. Each NEXT runs the report again with a different selection criteria. One catch, a PREVious also runs the report again too...

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development