Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Equivalent of Extended Lookup in Table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Equivalent of Extended Lookup in Table
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to find a technique that would give the equivalent of doing a LOOKUP(field GE)in a table request:

Here is the basic scenario, why I need this

I have a table with the 50 States, for each state
we want to "lookup" mortgage rates and points and maybe other fields based on the State and the lending price desired.

Here is the typical scenario, (I could not display the table here because I can't paste it in here and have it look decent, so I am describing it in words instead)-
If the state is Arizoa and the selling price is from .01 to 10,000 then the Mortgage rate is .1 and the points are 1.

If the state is Arizona and the selling prices from 10,000.01 to 20,000 then Mortgage rate is .15
and the points are 2.
etc. for Arizona

If the state is Colorado and the Lending Amount is from 8,000 to 26,000 then the mortgage rate is .2 and the points are 2.5
If the state is Colorado and the Lending Amount is from 26,000.01 to 40,000 then the mortgage rate is .3 and the points are 1.9.
and so on for Colorado and other states.

The lending amount ranges are haphazard and follow no particular pattern, nor do the rates or points.
If I were using Modify I could create a table and do a LOOKUP(field GE) and get the desired Rate and points, where the field would be the concatenation of the State and the particular lending amount.

But I am not using Modify, I have to use Table.

I could use a bunch of If then Else statements but the number would so large it would be prohibitive. I also have to do this "Lookup" in a bunch of lines of code and don't want to repeat the exhaustive if then else logic over and over again.

Does anyone have any technique that would help to alleviate this problem? I thought of decode from a file, but I believe that only works if you are looking for an exact match.

Thank You.

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: January 26, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Use a one-to-many join on State, with a WHERE clause in the TABLE request to yield a unique match.

JOIN state in file1 to ALL state in file2
where file1.amount ge file2.lower_bound
and file1.amount le file2.upper_bound;

(Note that, although you know that the condition ensures a unique match, Focus regards this as a nonunique join. That can result in "multiple path" messages.)

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jack, worked like a charm.

Posts: 3 | Location: New York | Registered: January 26, 2005Report This Post