Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Loading dropdown from FEX

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Loading dropdown from FEX
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I have run into a situation where I'm getting a very general error. I've gone down to create it in the most basic way for demonstration purposes.

It happens when I try to load a dropdown from an FEX file in the HTML canvas editor. The FEX in question returns a list of term codes and descriptions.

Below are screenshots of how I have things set-up and the error message. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

Below is the code for the FEX file

TABLE FILE NW_S_TERM_ACAD_PROG
BY  HIGHEST NW_S_TERM_ACAD_PROG.NW_S_TERM_ACAD_PROG.TERM
BY  NW_S_TERM_ACAD_PROG.NW_S_TERM_ACAD_PROG.TERM_DESC
WHERE TERM LIKE '____10';
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
END 

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFocus App Studio 8.1.0.5, Windows 7 64bit.

Posts: 65 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: March 06, 2014Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

Try to add to the fex
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
Yours
Eran

Yours,
Eran
SRL Products

http://www.srl.co.il

Posts: 97 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: November 20, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Eran,

Unfortunately, that resulted in the same error.

Egon

Posts: 65 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: March 06, 2014Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Egon,

Firstly, your name reminds me of the movie Ghostbusters.

Back on topic:

Try starting over with a new/fresh file. Before creating the dropdown, create a form for it to be housed in. Then add the dropdown.

Then, your code does need the ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML line at the bottom of your request no matter if the error your getting appears or not. I'm thinking your WHERE clause may be the issue, but don't quote me on that. Try taking that out and see if it runs without error. Also, Try adding -SET &ECHO=ALL; to the top of your code and running it. Then you can see what happens when your code runs in addition to the error to better troubleshoot the issue. Also, you have yet to bind a parameter to your dropdown control. Maybe that would help also.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
CoolGuy,

Lots of people say that about my name haha.

I went ahead and tried all of your suggestions, still to no avail.

Here's the source code of the HTML page generated.

<HTML>
            <HEAD><Title>WebFOCUS Message: no valid cgi request to process
            </Title></Head>
            <Body>
            <H2>
            WebFOCUS was called with an invalid request.
            </H2>
            </Body>
            </HTML>                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....

Try altering your code to replicate the below code from a control population request that I know works to see if that works against your data:

-SET &ECHO=ALL;

TABLE FILE [your file]
SUM
[your display value field]
BY HIGHEST [your return value field]
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END
-RUN

Note: Do not worry about qualifying your fields unless they belong to a file joined to your parent segment within your data description.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I altered your code to use my table and fields and it still returned the exact same error.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
okay, I just may have found something. If I place both files in my approot folder it works... is there a max length for the path?

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you getting sample data back from querying the .mas fields used in your request? If so, then I would open a case with tech support. Not sure why the requests aren't valid for you, or what it means by "cgi request". Sorry man.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ah! So your request isn't able to find your data description I'm guessing. Go to your application's properties and under Application Paths make sure that app can see the directory your .mas is in. I don't believe there are restrictions on how long your app path can be. If your app path is set correctly and you still can't get it to work inside your app directory, then it may be that your app directory is corrupt and/or configured incorrectly. My suggestion would be to open a case if so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Expert
posted Hide Post
or just put the app name in the table file request, eg.
TABLE FILE ibisamp/CAR
easy and doesn't leave behind any pathing issues.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Okay, I have another update. After playing around with it all afternoon I was able to find the following cause to this issue.

The error occurs if the HTML page is in a path that is beyond a certain length. The length of the file name didn't affect the error.

Max lenght:
IBFS:/WFC/Repository/IR/DataCenter/Student_Affars/Dashbaord/Reports/DetailPages/GreekLi

One to long:
IBFS:/WFC/Repository/IR/DataCenter/Student_Affars/Dashbaord/Reports/DetailPages/GreekLif

My original folder:
IBFS:/WFC/Repository/IR/DataCenter/Student_Affars/Dashbaord/Reports/DetailPages/GreekLife

It seems the max path length for the explicit to work is 87 characters. I'm on version 8.0.0.8 and I was wondering if anyone could reproduce this so I can open a case.

Thanks, Egon

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Egon,

I just made a really long absolute file path that met or exceeded 100 characters in length and ran a test report without any issue. I'm using AppStudio 8.1.04. You might need to upgrade.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thank you CoolGuy, hopefully someone with 8.0.0.8 can test it as well.

I'm hoping to upgrade soon.