Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [RESOLVED] AHTML works...APDF does not...???

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[RESOLVED] AHTML works...APDF does not...???
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
So, we bought into the Active Technologies add-on a while back utilizing AHTML output without much issue. When we go to output to APDF we get a 1 page pdf document that's blank.

Has anyone else on here ever experienced similar with trying to output to APDF?? Is APDF strictly for graphs? Or is it something that can be used with reports as well? The documentation really doesn't give me enough to go off of.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is this specific to a particular fex or any fex with APDF?

I just tried this with no problem.
ENGINE INT CACHE SET ON

-DEFAULTH &WF_SUMMARY='Summary';
-DEFAULTH &WF_TITLE='WebFOCUS Report';
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST
CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST
BY CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
BY CAR.COMP.CAR
BY CAR.CARREC.MODEL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT APDF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD
ON TABLE SET SQUEEZE ON
ON TABLE SET EMPTYREPORT ON
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET HTMLENCODE ON
ON TABLE SET CACHELINES 100
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
INCLUDE=ENDeflt.sty,$
TYPE=REPORT, TITLETEXT=&WF_TITLE.QUOTEDSTRING, SUMMARY=&WF_SUMMARY.QUOTEDSTRING, ARGRAPHENGINE=JSCHART, $
ENDSTYLE
END

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC,

Any fex with APDF as the output.

I just ran your code and get a 1 page blank PDF again...

Any ideas of why this happens at all?

Thanks for your post and help!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are you using Chrome? If so, it has its own PDF viewer and that might be the problem. Try running WF from another browser to see if you get a different result. If you're running Chrome go to the plugins and see if you can Disable Chrome PDF Viewer and try APDF report again. That might be the problem.

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC,

Tried disabling the Chrome plugin PDF viewer and running, and that didn't work. Then I tried running from IE and it came up with a pop=up saying I needed to install Flash and an active X plugin?? Did you have to have those to run your APDF??

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It's been a while I can't remember. HOLD the output to disk and see if you can open it with Acrobat reader. If that works, then the problem is the browser settings.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC,

Thanks for the suggestion. Oh no worries. I appreciate your help.

Can you give me an example of holding the output to disk in code? Not sure if I've done that before.

Again, I appreciate your time and help with this issue.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Before your TABLE request issue a FILEDEF

FILEDEF TST DISK c:\tst\tst.pdf

Then inside the TABLE request change the line where you have PCHOLD to this:
ON TABLE HOLD AS TST FORMAT APDF

Also I found the following in tech support site:
In Chrome, put in the following into the url:
chrome://plugins/
Disable chrome pdf viewer and enable adobe reader. When you run the report for
the first time, you will get a red X saying the plugin was blocked. Click on
the X and say always run this plugin frmo this server. The report should then
render.

IE still utilizes adobe for pdf viewing and no changes are required to render an
APDF report. Adobe (and adobe flash) are needed on the end-user's machine to
view APDF output.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BabakNYC,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC,

Thanks for the help with the FILEDEF. I tried that and I still get prompted for Adobe Flash. So, I guess that's that.

I did try to disable the Chrome PDF Viewer plugin, and that didn't work. Also, it states that Adobe Flash Player has been enabled as a plugin already; and, there is no Adobe Reader option to enable. So, that's a bust.

I appreciate your time and help BabakNYC. I will discuss this further with my project lead in regards to whether we want to deal with Flash.

Thanks again!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sure thing. IBI Tech support should be able to help you get it to work. However I think AHTML is the way to go.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree. AHTML seems to do the job just fine. I believe we are deciding to just take out the export to APDF altogether for now. We have our reports in AHTML and they all have the (working) option to export to Excel (.xlsx), and that's enough for our end users at first I think.

Thanks again!