Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] Dynamically Creating Master File from Inputted Excel Filename

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] Dynamically Creating Master File from Inputted Excel Filename
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
We are trying to report off of Excel/CSV files that users have on their shared network drives. Currently, the html page has a browse file feature that the user can use to navigate to the appropriate Excel/CSV file. The reporting server has access to all of these shared drives. How can we go about creating a master file based on the inputted file name without having to go through the upload file utility in the webconsole? The files will not have a consistent format.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mlhapner,

WebFOCUS 8.201m
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 28 | Location: Indiana | Registered: June 08, 2016Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can use CREATE SYNONYM in a Fex. The syntax can be parameterized. Take a look at this post to see how it's done. http://forums.informationbuild...1057331/m/6537019096

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
I get a syntax error when I try to use "CREATE SYNONYM"??

CREATE SYNONYM TEST_SYNONYM
FOR &INPUTTED_FILENAME
DBMS DIREXCEL 

(FOC1544) Syntax error: SYNONYM TEST_SYNONYM

WebFOCUS 8.201m
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You have to give it more details such as what app directory do you want the synonym to be created in. So fully qualify your TEST_SYNONYM with something like ibisamp/TEST_SYNONYM.

Also, you have to tell it where to look for HEADERS and how many rows to sample.

Finally, you have to add an END to finish the syntax. I have an Excel file called sql_emp.xlsx in my downloads directory and wanted to create synonym for it in ibi\apps\techniques. The first row is the column headers. The sheet that contains the data I'm using is called Report1 in the Excel file. Here's what I did to create the synonym. You'll have to parameterize the values you want to substitute in your case.

CREATE SYNONYM techniques/test_xl
   FOR 'C:\Downloads\sql_emp.xlsx'
   DBMS DIREXCEL 
  DROP
   PARMS 'WORKSHEET Report1 HROWS 1 RECORDS 10 DBMS DIREXCEL CHECKNAMES UNIQUENAMES'
END 

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
BabakNYC,

Amazing! I was able to get it to work. I didn't know this capability even existed.

Thanks so much!

WebFOCUS 8.201m
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The CREATE SYNONYM syntax is what's generated when you use the GUI for any DBMS/Data.