Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Devstudio Problem egshell.dll [sic] not found

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Devstudio Problem egshell.dll [sic] not found
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Adding master file via synonym editor

right click in pane - New synonym via synonym editor

Failed to load egshell.dll

Has anyone solved this problem. Tried via advanced search and got nowhere!

Its like I'm treading on eggshells Smiler

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Tried putting

c:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\home\bin

c:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\home\bin\unicode

which is where egshell.dll resides into path variable on local machine, but no effect.

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2

Posts: 888 | Location: Airstrip One | Registered: October 06, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Close Dev Studio, run the import_reg.bat, and then try it again..... That MAY help

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks RichH but tried that and didn't work. Nice to know about import_reg.bat tho. Smiler

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
If that didn't help, you can try getting a communication layer trace, and see if that helps track down the problem. It may be a security issue under the covers...

WebFOCUS 8202 Win 2012
Test - WebFOCUS 8203 on Win 2012

Posts: 173 | Registered: November 16, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
ok will try that

Here is something that I thought might work...

C:\WINNT\system32>cd c:\ibi\devstudio76\srv76

C:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76>cd home

C:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\home>cd bin

C:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\home\bin>regsvr32.exe /s egshell.dll

C:\ibi\DevStudio76\srv76\home\bin>

...but didn't

posted Hide Post
Ran into same problem, opened case, told to run import_reg.bat.. That not only did not solve problem but made it much worse.. now 'explorer' side of DevStudio fails to connect.. WebConsole side works fine though..

Master
posted Hide Post
I did get this to work by totally uninstalling 7.1.1 before installing 7.6.2, but it was on an XP machine and I am on W2k.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
if it worked after you uninstalled a previous version. I wonder if it would've worked i you you may try to invoked thisfoci.bat before invoking import_reg.bat

Master
posted Hide Post
Just tried thisfoci.bat - same problem (also on Master file tool which always takes ages to save).

Is there anyone who develops ds who can tell us what's going on?

I going to reinstall this lunchtime.

Master
posted Hide Post
Completely uninstalled 7.1.1 on Windows 2000 machine and reinstalled 7.6.2 and the egshell problem disappears.

However the Webfocus master file tool is missing altogether from the 7.6.2 version.

Master
posted Hide Post
Tried this on my machine but I still get this problem.

Its a possibility that my machine is missing some C++ supporting .dlls in the installation.

Trouble is I don't know what version C++ IBI are using and therefore reinstalling these libraries via vcredist_x86 is extremely risky.

Honestly

3 (4th one anyone) Horsemen of the Data Apocalypse

1. C++
2. rdbms
3. Microsoft

Can anyone with enough C-- (joke) experience tell me if I on right lines.

Master
posted Hide Post
This has stuff about how to check for missing dlls

However it prompts for a install disk to compare the config you have.

Just too frightened to try running vcredist without any advice. I think this is the problem tho missing .dlls in windows.

posted Hide Post
Hi,

I had exactly the same error message (egshell.dll not found) in Developer workbench. I work with v763.

I logged in with an administrator user on my pc (Win xp) and with that user I didn't have the error anymore.

Hope this helps you!

kind regards,

Mathy

Version 763
Gen: 07282007

Posts: 1 | Location: Belgium | Registered: February 20, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I have opened a case on this. Starting somewhere in 7.x (didn't check it with 7.1.x which we never went prod with). A 'basic' user cannot use the synonym editor. An 'application administrator' can. These settings are done in the web console for the reporting server.

I have requested an NFR to put this ability back for basic user for at least non-relational masters. Our developers used to be able to do this and now they can't so an ability has been removed. We don't want to make them app admins because that would give some of them too much power.

But, John, maybe you can do that in your shop. Smiler

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is standard functionality for the console of WF servers.
I would think that by definition, a 'basic' user should not have access to be editing synonyms (unless you are talking about local synonyms - as in a single dev studio environment.) You're asking for a heap o' trouble if you start allowing just anyone access to modify your Master Files. Application administrator has limited functionality, one of which is to manage synonyms. If the user needs that capability, make them an application administrator.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We don't want basic user altering enterprise relational masters and that is why they are not made application users. However, they used to be able to create masters for FOCUS files that many of them create for data marts and they cannot do that anymore. That is the ability I want returned.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Hi folks

Thanks as always for waking this one up from a long way back with your suggestions.

Marthy
quote:
I logged in with an administrator user on my pc (Win xp) and with that user I didn't have the error anymore

When you say you used an account with admin rights was that an account with

(a) WINDOWS admin rights

or

(b) WebFOCUS admin rights

I upgraded and completely rebuild my pc from 2k to XP, reinstalled ds 764, and this problem went away. I am wf admin but not a WINDOWS admin.

Expert
posted Hide Post
WebFOCUS admin.

Ginny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I think I ran into that when we first started testing 7.6.2 - it got fixed in 7.6.4.

WebFOCUS 7.6.6/TomCat/Win2003,SQL Server 2005,Oracle

Posts: 125 | Location: New England | Registered: February 20, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
That is good news, Rick. Now as soon as they fix my Advanced Graph Assistant problem, I can upgrade.

Ginny