Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] issue w/ DYNAMIC WHERE statement

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] issue w/ DYNAMIC WHERE statement
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I am trying to create a DYNAMIC WHERE statement but having a little difficulty with the syntax.
Confused
Can anyone help me?

-SET &QT = '''';
 -SET &FSALES = 'ENGLAND';
 -*SET &COUNTRY = 'FRANCE';
 -SET &FCNTRY = IF ENGLAND EQ 'ENGLAND'
 -  THEN
 - ('WHERE COUNTRY EQ '| ' || 'ENGLAND'   || ' | ' OR ' | ' || 'FRANCE' || ' | ' OR ' | ' || 'ITALY' || ' ||';')
 -ELSE IF ENGLAND EQ 'JAPAN'
 -  THEN
 - ('WHERE COUNTRY EQ '| ' || 'W GERMANY' || ' | ' OR ' | ' || 'JAPAN'  || ' ||';')
 -ELSE ' ';
 0 ERROR AT OR NEAR LINE     11  IN PROCEDURE dynam_where.fex
 (FOC305) SPECIFIED LABEL NOT FOUND:

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
First off, I would not include WHERE inside of the variable so that the code is GUI compatible. i.e.:

TABLE FILE CAR
WHERE &FCNTRY

Second off, the error has to do with spacing or something similar with your extended dialogue manager command.

Try putting the set command on one line and get it working. Then you can extend it to multiple lines for better reading and you can see exactly what is causing the error.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Posts: 402 | Location: Upland, IN | Registered: June 08, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try this Tom:
SET PAGE = NOLEAD
-SET &ECHO = ALL ;
-SET &QT = '''';
-SET &FSALES = 'ENGLAND';
-*-SET &FSALES = 'JAPAN';
-SET &COUNTRY = 'FRANCE';
-SET &FCNTRY = IF &FSALES EQ 'ENGLAND'
-  THEN
- 'WHERE COUNTRY EQ '| '''' || 'ENGLAND'   || '''' | ' OR ' | '''' || 'FRANCE' || '''' | ' OR ' | '''' || 'ITALY' || '''' ||';'
- ELSE IF &FSALES EQ 'JAPAN'
-  THEN
- 'WHERE COUNTRY EQ '| '''' || 'W GERMANY' || '''' | ' OR ' | '''' || 'ENGLAND'  || '''' ||';'
- ELSE ' ';
TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"&FCNTRY.EVAL"
SUM DCOST BY COUNTRY
&FCNTRY.EVAL
END

To get this:

Those Pesky Single-Quotes get in the way so many times... Smiler

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Oh how nice it would be to live inside the GUI and not outgrow it...
quote:
First off, I would not include WHERE inside of the variable so that the code is GUI compatible.

Smart / Dynamic Code is So Good To Use. Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Doug,

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Smart / Dynamic Code is So Good Use Smiler

Indeed!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, and smart dynamic code that is mostly GUI compatible is even better. So many new features to discover and so many smoother upgrades.

Little tricks like

WHERE &WHERE;
INSTEAD of just
&WHERE;

make all the difference.

While we're at it:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
-IF &USE_CAR EQ 'NO' THEN GOTO SKIP_CAR;
     CAR
-SKIP_CAR

Why not use:

-SET &CAR_TITLE = IF &PRINT_CAR EQ 'NO' THEN 'FOC_NONE' ELSE 'Car';
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
     CAR AS '&CAR_TITLE'

This message has been edited. Last edited by: J,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Hey Doug, Long time no see....

Thank you for the improvement! The single QUOTES are like gnats in your eye.

After reading the posts I want to thank everyone for their input. I did some research
and I could not find any documentation on WHERE &WHERE.

Tomsweb
WebFOCUS 8.1.05M, 8.2.x
APP Studio, Developer Studio, InfoAssist, Dashboards, charts & reports
Apache Tomcat/8.0.36

Posts: 573 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: July 06, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
LOL : "like gnats in your eye"

Master
posted Hide Post
You can use
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &DYNAMIC_WHERE

just don't leave the parameter empty. E.g. use '_FOC_NULL'.

______
And for the best of both worlds... ( coding & gui ).

We have a ground rule:
Seperate all query-logic from display-logic.

Use (handcoded ) code to retrieve the data, add filters, make computes, everything... ...everything!
Put it in a HOLD file.

Use the GUI to make 'dumb' report using that HOLD file, but try to add as little logic as possible.

G'luck,
Dave

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I would like to add 2 things:
1. When continuing a DM phrase on a following line, leave at least 1 space between the hyphen and the continuation.
2. The .EVAL suffix is only necessary in DM phrase when you want WF to "evaluate" the &variable before executing the phrase. For example:
-SET &LEN=&VAR.LENGTH;
-SET &NVAR=RJUST(&LEN, &VAR, 'A&LEN.EVAL');  

When the &variable just has to be substituted, like in Doug's
TABLE FILE CAR
HEADING
"&FCNTRY.EVAL"
SUM DCOST BY COUNTRY
&FCNTRY.EVAL
END

it is not necessary.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Yea... But if you hand code until the final report you are missing out on things like this:

-*TBL_MORE_DEFINES_START
-* The code in this section bracketed by -*TBL_MORE_DEFINES_START and -*TBL_MORE_DEFINES_END is auto generated and
-* managed by the Universal Concatenation tool in DevStudio's Report Painter. The code is generated from the comment
-* in the report starting with -*FFW.MORE and is required for the MORE statements in the report.
DEFINE FILE CAR ADD
CAR_DEFINE/A16=CAR.COMP.CAR;
END
-*TBL_MORE_DEFINES_END
TABLE FILE CAR
-*FFW.MORE - Managed by DevStudio's Report Painter for MORE statements.  Do not edit!
-*FFW.MORE <CAR=DEFINE FILE CAR ADDCAR_DEFINE/A16=CAR.COMP.CAR;END>
PRINT 
     CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY
     CAR_DEFINE
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM NOLEAD 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE HOLD
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
MORE
FILE CAR
END

TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT 
     HOLD.HOLD.COUNTRY
     HOLD.HOLD.CAR_DEFINE
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

I don't know if I would want to memorize generated comments like that.

BTW there are benefits to editing in both. The text editor can be much faster when you know the syntax and for things like copying or commenting. It just depends. But don't block out the GUI or you will be missing on a lot of cool things you can do

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail4.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL05P02_Detail5.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL06P03_Detail6.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL07P04_Detail7.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL08P05_Detail8.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
BY  &RP_FN01B_Sort1.(BY(<COUNTRY,CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY>,<CAR,CAR.COMP.CAR>,<MODEL,CAR.CARREC.MODEL>)).Please select sort field(s).
ON TABLE SET ONFIELD IGNORE
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
TOM, the where &where isn't documented as far as I can tell, but I do know that doing it that way allows me to edit via the GUI. I don't have to worry about the next guy or my coworkers as much this way.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
J, how do you use the same reports in reportcaster when you want to omit the filter condition? I thought _FOC_NONE and caster were incompatible.

That's why we use a parameter to either write the entire where condition OR to just toss in an empty string.

WF: WebFocus 7.7.03
Data: Oracle, MSSQL, DB2
Output: HTML/AHTML,PDF,EXL2K FORMULA, COMT

Guru
posted Hide Post
Report Caster just wipes out the FOC_NONE statement if I am remembering correctly. Then you can use a -DEFAULT statement at the beginning.

-DEFAULT &CAR_TITLE = 'Car';
-SET &CAR_TITLE = IF &PRINT_CAR EQ 'NO' THEN 'FOC_NONE' ELSE &CAR_TITLE;
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
     CAR AS '&CAR_TITLE'

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
Doug I am surprised you didn't know about the send display value

this old post

I guess we are rediscovering one of the hidden WebFOCUS gems.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
So far, I haven't found anything the GUI can do that I can't.

Perhaps the code generated by the Compound Document tool is one where I would use the GUI to generate, then I would hand code to my heart's content.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
We have some pretty nasty elaborate reports that require A LOT of coding. ( in DM )

But come to think of it... ...that probably could all be done in the GUI. We just don't do that since we feel it's faster to just type it ( and copy / paste ).
100+ lines of 'processing' DM stuff happens...

What I'm trying to say / preach Wink is:
Seperate the logic from the display/output part.

( Thus retracting my statement that the logic part should be hand coded, it can be done in the GUI also )

and J,

I don't get your 'missing out' part?

TABLE FILE CAR
	BY	COUNTRY
	BY	CAR
ON TABLE HOLD AS X
END

TABLE FILE X
	PRINT	COUNTRY CAR
MORE
FILE X
END

Hand coded, works fine ?

Posts: 668 | Location: Veghel, The Netherlands | Registered: February 16, 2010Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Oh,

and on the subject of _FOC_NONE

You might want to use _FOC_NULL instead.

Guru
posted Hide Post
What is wrong with FOC_NONE?

When dealing with ignores, I use _FOC_NULL, but for this other stuff, FOC_NONE seems to work pretty well. I am curious what some of the FOC_NONE issues you guys have had. According to what I have seen, you just have to be careful how you handle FOC_NONE (as in the link).

Tom, I am sorry to divert from your topic.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
J, Huh? Not sure what you mean by your June 24, 2013 09:33 AM post. Or, was that just pointing back to my olod post from Mon Feb 07 2011 15:53?

Master
posted Hide Post
J,

The trick is that FOC_NONE has the effect of ignore the complete line of code. And you have to keep that in mind.

See sample 1:
-SET &IGNORE = 'FOC_NONE';

TABLE FILE CAR
	SUM SALES
	BY	COUNTRY
	BY	CAR
WHERE ( COUNTRY EQ '&IGNORE' ) AND ( CAR EQ 'TOYOTA' OR 'BMW' )
END

Because the parameter IGNORE is 'FOC_NONE' the entire line of code is ignored, including : ( CAR EQ 'TOYOTA' OR 'BMW' )
Output just shows the entire contents of the CAR database.

Now change FOC_NONE to _FOC_NULL. This will only effect the COUNTRY-where not the CAR-where.
Output will should only TOYOTA and BMW.

And this even works if you change the code to
WHERE ( COUNTRY EQ '&IGNORE' ); WHERE ( CAR EQ 'TOYOTA' OR 'BMW' )

I find this very tricky... ...better to avoid it.

Greets,
Dave

Guru
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I want in some cases, to wipe the entire line. However, in when doing an ignore like that, I would use _FOC_NULL.

If I wanted to get rid of a dynamic where statement, I would want to wipe out that line with FOC_NONE (WHERE &where). Caution is needed here, not fear. But each to his own...

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I just tried J's code
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail4.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL05P02_Detail5.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL06P03_Detail6.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL07P04_Detail7.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL08P05_Detail8.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,_FOC_NULL>).Please select detail field(s).
BY  &RP_FN01B_Sort1.(BY(<COUNTRY,CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY>,<CAR,CAR.COMP.CAR>,<MODEL,CAR.CARREC.MODEL>)).Please select sort field(s).
ON TABLE SET ONFIELD IGNORE
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

Then I realized it was for a v7.+ version. We are on 7.6.11.
However, now that I had come that far, I persisted and came up with code that will work in 7.6.11
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT 
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail4.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST NOPRINT>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail5.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST NOPRINT>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail6.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST NOPRINT>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail7.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST NOPRINT>).Please select detail field(s).
     &RP_FL04P01_Detail8.(<BODYTYPE,CAR.BODY.BODYTYPE>,<SEATS,CAR.BODY.SEATS>,<DEALER_COST,CAR.BODY.DEALER_COST>,<RETAIL_COST,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST>,<SALES,CAR.BODY.SALES>,<None,CAR.BODY.RETAIL_COST NOPRINT>).Please select detail field(s).
BY   &RP_FN01B_Sort1.(<COUNTRY,CAR.ORIGIN.COUNTRY>,<CAR,CAR.COMP.CAR>,<MODEL,CAR.CARREC.MODEL>).Please select sort field(s).
-*AFTER 7.0   ON TABLE SET ONFIELD IGNORE
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     INCLUDE = endeflt,
$
ENDSTYLE
END

All it does is print CAR NOPRINT. Same as 'None'! If you are creating a hold file just be sure to use the ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY

WebFOCUS 8.1.05 Windows 7, all output

Posts: 107 | Registered: February 18, 2011Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Lol... I didn't post that code so you could copy and paste, but rather you could see how it is generated and what it does.

That code allows you to let the user select which columns they want from an html page and the order they want (if you choose the multiple columns per variable option). This is much faster via the GUI even if you were copying and pasting. I understand that the GUI isn't the "ultimate solution". It is not even a good practice to code only via the GUI... but it isn't a good practice to hand code exclusively either. I spend more time hand-coding than naught but that is probably because I do what I can via the GUI quickly and hand code other things that the GUI doesn't handle as well (copying and pasting, dialogue manager, etc.). If code isn't GUI compatible (or at least close) then I eliminate that possible all together and I have to hand code. I don't have a choice.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03/8.0.08
Dev Studio 7.7.03/8.0.08
App Studio 8.0.08
Windows 7
ALL Outputs