Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Version 8 InfoAssist won't honor the Join

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Version 8 InfoAssist won't honor the Join
 Login/Join

Virtuoso
posted
I'm upgrading from version 7 to version 8 and can't get basic Reporting Object user content to function properly. Here's what I've done --

1. I've replicated one of our simple Reporting Objects from version 7 in 8, using version 8 to recreate it. It's a simple Join, then a simple Report with four fields.

2. I've gone into the web interface to the portal where the Reporting Object resides and created a customized Report from it. I can do this successfully, it runs, it saves, it does what it's supposed to. I close it.

3. I right-click on the newly created Report from step two and select Edit With InfoAssist. There's a pause and then this appears --

Any suggestions? It appears it's just ignoring the join, or erroring on it but not giving me an error. Both files in the join are right next to each other. This is pretty basic stuff (in fact this was just a sanity check to help me understand a real problem I'm having) and I've used the toolset for the entire trip, so I don't know why I'm getting an error on such a simple concept.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Posts: 1012 | Location: At the Mast | Registered: May 17, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Have you tried to do it in a different way such as:
1- Open InfoAssist
2- Select your new Reporting Object to create a new report

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's not the problem. I can create the first Report directly from the Reporting Object and save it. It runs correctly. If I reopen that existing Report I get the error.

I can't get this thing to open in any of the tools, so I can't get any clues.

It needs to run via Internet Explorer, via the Portal interface. So I need Edit With --> InfoAssist to function properly.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I thought that you may have created your report in step 2 with a different portal tools than IA reason I've suggested to try creating with portal IA.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It appears to be related to printing a field from the joined table in the report, not the link to table. If I create a report that prints a field from the first file in the join I can save it and reopen it.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Is not there any "rule" somewhere telling that you must include at least one field from the parent to be able to include child's field ?

Just a thought...

In Focus since 2007

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I have one of those.

As best I can tell, it's not bringing the join forward. When I save a version that doesn't use fields in the joined table everything goes well. And here's the clue -- when I reopen that report I don't see the fields from the join target. The join is not reestablished.

When I look at these files via text editor I see that there is no call to the Join section of the Reporting Object. The join appears to be being dropped, or not being included in the first place.

Maybe something's wrong with my join? It doesn't give an error and it works when I'm running from the Reporting Object.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: John_Edwards,

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is turning into a very interesting journey. So I figured out how to read focexecs in the repository, which is not pretty. But I have now and I was able to find the one for the original Reporting Object. It has the join in it, looks like this:

-DEFAULT &SECTION=WHERE 
-IF &SECTION EQ 'WHERE' GOTO WHERE;
-IF &SECTION EQ 'SUFFIX' GOTO SUFFIX;
-PREFIX 
-*COMPONENT=Join_J001 JOIN LEFT_OUTER TARIS.TARIS.DEALER_CODE IN AUDITING/TARIS TO UNIQUE DEALERS.DEALERS.DEALER_CODE IN WFDATAMART_METADATA/DEALERS TAG J001 AS J001 
END 
-GOTO SKIP0 

(Don't know if the line feeds are in the right place as it's a stream of text in the repository table.)

There's no "join" section, but there is a "prefix" section which gets called in my descendant focexecs:

-SET &SECTION='PREFIX'; 
-INCLUDE IBFS:/WFC/Repository/AuditingPortal/Taris_Reporting_729a1d36_4e91_4846_a42f_3601fafe3ccf.fex
-* End MR Prefix *- 

So that should execute the Join. It appears it's not. The Join works fine for the Reporting Object itself and in its first descendant so it's valid, but it doesn't function correctly in second descendants, so something isn't right.

I simply cannot believe this got through alpha testing, so there must be something about my setup that is throwing this thing for a loop.

Time to open a case.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Response from the ticket --

quote:

Hi John,

We can make a minor configuration change to resolve this error. Please do the following:

1. Open the Administration Console
2. Navigate to Utilities > InfoAssist Properties
3. In the Miscellaneous Group uncheck 'Use two-part file name'
4. Save changes and clear the cache for the Administration Console
(this command is found in the upper right hand corner of the Administration Console page)

Please retest the reporting object and let me know if this has resolved the error for you.

Kind Regards,

Michelle Moody

This is case 160722057. The solution provided solved the problem.