Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] Pass windows login id to oracle through webfocus data adapter

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] Pass windows login id to oracle through webfocus data adapter
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Hi,

I want to pass my active directory windows login id to oracle database through data adapter.

1) Created data adapter called testCon as a trusted connection.
2) code in fex says
ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES testCon/,
SQL SQLORA

select user from dual;

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
END
-EXIT

When I ran my report I am not getting my network id instead it's giving me some default userid used to connect to oracle from webfocus.

Please let me know the steps to achieve this.

Note: I am doing login authentication through .NET and once it authenticated then it will call the webfocus report.

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Posts: 780 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 09, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What is the authentication of the WFRS?

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Security : OPSYS
Authentication : IWA

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
If Oracle is your only data source that you need to do that with, you can set your server up with DBMS security.

We do that here with Teradata. It works very well.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions.

There are several application running, so I dont want to change the security of webfocus server.

Is there any other way to do this?

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
What do you get if you run a simple focexec with a GETUSER function? I.e. What is the value of &IBIC_user? Is it your network id?

You aren't going to be able to pass credentials with a trusted connection. You are going to have to use explicit.

We have a similar requirement here for other data bases. We have a special node that runs an exit (we aren't on Windows) to verify the logon against the AD then pass those values in session variables. The programs that use them -INCLUDE a fex with a connect string that uses the passed variables to connect to the data source. You probably won't have to do anything that dramatic but your default Oracle connect string will have to have variables for the user and password.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
If I try the GetUser function, it returns the webfocus server userid.

This is my code,

-SET &IBIC_user='&USERID';

ENGINE SQLORA SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION PortalTest
SQL SQLORA

SELECT USER FROM DUAL;

TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
END
-RUN
-EXIT

Error I am getting,

(FOC1400) SQLCODE IS 1017 (HEX: 000003F9)
(FOC1394) CONNECT FAILURE
: ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied
L (FOC1405) SQL PREPARE ERROR.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
If you have a default id stored for the reporting server in the client AND you don't make your users logon, you are never going to have anything but the default id in IBIC_user.

I also don't see a connect string for Oracle. It should look something like this:
ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES ora_conn_name ora_server/userid,password

If this string is in your edasprof.prf, then the pw will be encrypted. If the connect string is not in your edasprof.prf, it needs to be somewhere. If it is in edasprof.prf and you have amper variables for the userid and password, then you need to make the users of the application logon in order to populate the variables. Or do some fancy Windows stuff to pass the Windows authentication to the reporting server. You might check the security manual on this topic.

Ginny

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:

ENGINE SQLORA SET CONNECTION_ATTRIBUTES testCon/,

Remove the comma from the above connection string. The comma signifies a trusted connection. The lack of comma signifies password passthrough. That should send the valid userid and password to Oracle.

"There is no limit to what you can achieve ... if you don’t care who gets the credit." Roger Abbott

Posts: 1102 | Location: Toronto, Ontario | Registered: May 26, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
I have tried that but didn't work. When I check the log it shows the webfocus serverid only not the active directory userid.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
Kamesh,

Let's go over this again. First you have to have an EXPLICIT connection set up for Oracle. Then you have to replace the userid and password in the connect string with amper variables. Then the user has to logon with his or her credentials or you have to figure out a way to pass them to the reporting server as variables that you can substitute in a connect string.

A trusted connection is never going to work.

If you don't want to do the stuff in my first paragraph, then I suggest that you look into setting up your reporting server with DBMS security.

Ginny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi, have you tried setting the connection up as password passthru ? We use this with some of our Oracle connections.

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
The trusted connection works if I run my report directly from reporting server. But when I try it from webfocus client, it didn't work. Is there a way that I can just pass the userid and able to connect to reporting server on fly?

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat

Expert
posted Hide Post
I have told you how to do that in previous posts. You are not going to be able to use a trusted connection to do this.

Maybe you should open a case with IBI.

Ginny

Master
posted Hide Post
Already I have opened a case with IBI. Still waiting for them to revert me back with some suggestions.

WFConsultant

WF 8105M on Win7/Tomcat