Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Searching for code in fex.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Searching for code in fex.
 Login/Join

<Amy Goll>
posted
In our open VMS environment we could use the command:
search *.fex decode and it would find all focexecs with the word decode in it. Is it possible to also do this in the MRE environment? We are using 5.2.3

Thanks.

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
You may be able to do this with an OS command (this would depend on the OS) but it is not built into WebFOCUS on the version you are running. However, in version 7.1 there is an impact analysis tool that may do some of what you are looking to do. From what I understand though it will only find procedures that access particular MFDs or fields within MFDs. This would not help you to find the DECODE verb or any other string in a request. This is an option I would like to see in the future though. Impact analysis does not only apply to changes to MFDs but also other code changes as well.

Posts: 90 | Location: Tinker AFB | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Assuming your system is still running on open VMS
In MRE create a simple fex that says
!search x\x\*.fex decode
That will run the operating system search for you and return the results to the browser.
If you've changed operating systems then the same thing will work with the equivalent version of the command.
You will have to supply path information (x\x\) because you job will run in the edatemp sub-directories.

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
amy, the piece of info we're missing is the location of your mre...is your mre off the mainframe and on a server somewhere?
in my windows environment, i use TEXTPAD as an editor and the FIND IN FILES feature of TEXTPAD is way cool. you can find a character string in allthe files in whatever directory you point to.
TEXTPAD, like ULTRAEDIT, is one of the most popular fex editors among developers, and is avail at www.textpad.com.
now...having said that,...i'm going to try the technique JG suggests to see if that works in windows...

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<JG>
posted
Susan.

For windows try the following or the equivalent directory structure for your system

!find /I /N "table" c:\ibi\apps\baseapp\*.fex

Report This Post
<Amy Goll>
posted
Thanks for all the information. We have moved from the open VMS platform to a server based system. If anyone is familiar with Higher Ed, we have converted to the SCT Banner system

Report This Post
<JG>
posted
The Base application is not important. For what you want to do, the platform for your WebFocus system is all that matters.

Is it UNIX, Windows, OPEN VMS, MVS or another odd platform. The way you say server implies Windows, so my last post will work, all you need to know is the actual WebFocus installation structure from a disk drive and directory point of view.

Report This Post
<JG>
posted
little update

More powerful on Windows is findstr as opposed to plain old find, the reason is that it also searches subdirectories

Type help findstr at a cmd prompt for the syntax

Report This Post