Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED] RC Bursting to Dynamic Distribution List

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED] RC Bursting to Dynamic Distribution List
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
We are currently upgrading from WF 7.7.03 to WF 8.1.05 and are having difficulty with a ReportCaster schedule that bursts email via a dynamic distribution list.

Obviously, everything works perfectly in 7.7.03. In 8.1.05, the RC log shows that the schedule runs, but it doesn't actually send out the emails.

Here is the .fex code in both WF 7.7.03 and 8.1.05 for the dynamic distribution .fex file:
SET ASNAMES = ON
TABLE FILE DISTRIBUTION_TBL
PRINT BURSTVAL AS 'VALUE'
WHERETO AS 'DEST'
WHERE ID EQ 'Flooring Open Orders';
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END  

If I run the .fex file in 7.7.03, I get this XML:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> 
- <fxf version="1.0" data="hold">
- <report records="159" lines="159" columns="2" rows="159">
  <target format="" version="" type="" destination="HOLD" /> 
- <column_desc>
  <col colnum="c0" fieldname="VALUE" alias="BURSTVAL" datatype="char" width="20" focus_format="A20" description="" accept="" help_message="" title="" property="" reference="" valign="left" /> 
  <col colnum="c1" fieldname="DEST" alias="WHERETO" datatype="char" width="80" focus_format="A80V" description="" accept="" help_message="" title="" property="" reference="" valign="left" /> 
  </column_desc>
- <table>
- <tr linetype="data" linenum="1">
  <td colnum="c0">02908</td> 
  <td colnum="c1">jdoe@email.com</td> 
  </tr>  

When the RC schedule runs in 7.7.03, I get this in the log file:
Starting task: Task 1 
   Task type: MR Standard Report 
   Task domain: ssa11lc4/ssa11lc4.htm 
   Retrieving MR report: app/flooring_open_orders_by_ticket_burst 
   Connecting to server EDASERVE with execution id jdoe 
   Executing focexec. 
   Task finished. 
   Dynamically creating distribution information 
   02908 distributed to jdoe@email.com  

If I run the .fex file in 8.1.05, this is the XML. Notice the different encoding and the addition of the "rawvalue":
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> 
- <fxf version="1.0" data="hold">
- <report records="159" lines="159" columns="2" rows="159">
  <target format="" version="" type="" destination="HOLD" /> 
- <column_desc>
  <col colnum="c0" fieldname="VALUE" alias="BURSTVAL" datatype="char" width="20" focus_format="A20" description="" accept="" help_message="" title="" property="" reference="" valign="left" /> 
  <col colnum="c1" fieldname="DEST" alias="WHERETO" datatype="char" width="80" focus_format="A80V" description="" accept="" help_message="" title="" property="" reference="" valign="left" /> 
  </column_desc>
- <table>
- <tr linetype="data" linenum="1">
  <td colnum="c0">02908</td> 
  <td colnum="c1" rawvalue="jdoe@email.com">jdoe@email.com</td> 
  </tr>  

When the RC schedule runs in 8.1.05, I get this in the log file. Notice the distribution finishes without showing it was actually sent to an email:
Starting task: Task 1
   Task type: WebFOCUS Report
   WebFOCUS Report: IBFS:/WFC/Repository/Flooring/Corporate/flooring_open_orders_by_ticket_burst.fex
   Task domain:
   Connecting to server EDASERVE with execution id jdoe at 2015-09-29 15:20:43.682-0500 (1,443,558,043,682)
   Executing focexec.
   Connection to the Reporting Server EDASERVE closed at 2015-09-29 15:21:08.285-0500 (1,443,558,068,285) 
   Job ran on the Reporting Server EDASERVE for 24.598 seconds 
   Task finished. 
   Starting distribution: Email 
   Distribution method: Email 
   Dynamically creating distribution information 
   Distribution finished. 
   Job finished at 2015-09-29 15:21:08.789-0500 (1,443,558,068,789) 
   Job time on distribution server after the report completed was 0.492 seconds 
   Total running time was 25.307 seconds 
   Total elapsed time (including the queue time) was 25.308 seconds  

I've checked the NLS encoding and it's set to 437 on both 7.7.03 and 8.1.05 in both the Admin Console and the Reporting Server.

I'm thinking it has something to do with the XML formatting in 8.1.05 which adds the rawvalue in the C1 line:

WF 7.7.03
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" ?> 
<td colnum="c1">jdoe@email.com</td>  

WF 8.1.05
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<td colnum="c1" rawvalue="jdoe@email.com">jdoe@email.com</td>

Everything else seems to be exactly the same between the old server and the new server so I can't understand what else might not be set correctly.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Kathryn Henning>,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's the HOLDLIST? The following works just fine for me.
SET PAGE = NOLEAD
TABLE FILE SAS30DDL
SUM DEST VALUE
BY STORE_NUMBER NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug:
Maybe it's the HOLDLIST? The following works just fine for me.
SET PAGE = NOLEAD
TABLE FILE SAS30DDL
SUM DEST VALUE
BY STORE_NUMBER NOPRINT
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

Nope, same result. Schedule executes just fine but doesn't send the email.

Thanks for the suggestion Dave.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Master
posted Hide Post
Glad to know this. We are just starting an update from 8.0.08 to 8.1.05 and we use dynamic distribution a lot. This would be a show stopper for us. Have you opened a problem report with IBI?

Doug, when you say that it works fine for you, are you saying that it works on 8.1.05?

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jgelona:
Glad to know this. We are just starting an update from 8.0.08 to 8.1.05 and we use dynamic distribution a lot. This would be a show stopper for us. Have you opened a problem report with IBI?

Doug, when you say that it works fine for you, are you saying that it works on 8.1.05?

I'm working on opening a ticket right now... Will update if we can figure out the fix.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
I am having issues sending a report our via Report Caster in 8.1.05. It does not send out the report.

It doesn't appear to write any logs for the job either. It will send out a failure email and this is what I get.

BTP1010         Schedule Executed On Demand at WDWBFV11:8200 (WTWBFV11/10.255.208.236)
    BTP1010         Job placed in the waiting queue at 2015-09-30 09:29:18.998-0400 (1,443,619,758,998)
    BTP1010         Job started running at 2015-09-30 09:29:19.000-0400 (1,443,619,759,000)
    BTP1010         Job remained in waiting queue for 0.0020 seconds
    BTP1010         The Schedule does not exist: Item does not exist IBFS:/WFC/5816adf8Ie0f8I4fefI8c1eI5f144460eb91 .
    BTP1010         Total running time was 0.472 seconds
    BTP1010         Total elapsed time (including the queue time) was 0.474 seconds

I also see this in the event log

:GetWFServerRPCAmperParametersProducer] - Failed to get the execid data for the server EDASERVE  

I have a case open.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Gold member
posted Hide Post
UPDATE: I spent a few hours on the phone with IBI yesterday looking into this issue and what we found was that Report Caster will not BURST an .xlsx formatted attachment to either a "normal" distribution list OR a dynamic distribution list.

We were able to work around the problem by overriding the format of the attachment to EXL2K in the schedule itself. It's not the ideal solution but at least it lets our RC schedules go out like they're supposed to.

IBI is supposed to be researching the problem further.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
You do have this in your fex right?

SET EXCELSERVURL = ''

WebFOCUS 8.1.05

Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattC:
You do have this in your fex right?

SET EXCELSERVURL = ''

Matt,

SET EXCELSERVURL = '' was NOT in our fex so I added it and tried again without success.

I tried both
SET EXCELSERVURL = ''
and
SET EXCELSERVURL=http://ourserver:8080/ibi_apps/
and neither one worked.

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
It seems you must use the override format option in the schedule for certain types of Excel reports, even if the fex creates an Excel report. I found this out when attempting to distribute a non-burst Excel Compound report.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post