Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Tracing EDA activity (I want to see the Focus Guts of EDA)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Tracing EDA activity (I want to see the Focus Guts of EDA)
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Bonjour, (This message was previously in I-Way)
I'm a Focus Guy since long and know plenty of things about Focus through the ages
But I'm new around Developper Studio (Which I call Focus Six for Windows ...) and EDA EDA V716(Turning on IBM, MVS : my world - and I call EDA : MSO )

My point is to find an equivalent to ECHO = ON, or ECHO =ALL to trace the activity of the EDA Started task on MVS
(I have the status of Normal Informatician, thus, no Access to IBI Console)

I can Trace Things with SET TRACEON , OFF, USER but I get an enormous amount of Information that overwhelms me
I got the result of SET TRACEON=? and was taken aback by the number of possibilities ...
Could someone understand my need for help Building on my intimate knowledge of this Good Old Focus to Reach the new possibilities of the 3-legged animal...
Cordialement
PS : I Fall in Time Out so not much get back from EDA, and I hate to use a tool that I cannot oblige to put his cards on the Table
(On the other hand : 98 887 cards are a bit too many)

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11
Dev Studio 7.6.11 and !!!
PC Focus, Focus for OS/2, FFW Six, MSO

Posts: 134 | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
On I-Way Forum Leah answered :
The good old days of MSO. If you want to trace the code execution.

-SET &ECHO = ON;

You don't see it though if you have a report that 'pops up'. Will do so in report caster if you ask for the on error to be always (don't have it open so it may not be the word always, and have a full notice sent.

You might have wanted this to be posted to the focus formum, much more activity there.

My Reaction
Thanks for answering
Where does EDA write what would be in SYSPRINT in a fossilized world ?
(Especially when a Time Out Occurs)
And TRACEON seem also full of potentiality, but I lack Tips to use it efficiently

I Change to Forum Focus, as you think it's a better place

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
PS : I Fall in Time Out so not much get back from EDA, and I hate to use a tool that I cannot oblige to put his cards on the Table

Often the time out issue is related to web interface more than WebFOCUS. Also, I"ve found that if I do something really stupid in a select against DB2, it just goes out to lunch so to speak and never see anything back. Our set up to DB2 is our own gateway though, not the I-way. Often though if the processing has been passed off to the data base, you don't see anything in the trace. I had a situation recently where a job kept 'crashing'. The trace told me nothing. Turned out the 7.6.x version of WebFOCUS didn't like the WHERE clause that worked just fine in 5.3.6. Talk about pulling hair. I thank a support person at IB for giving me a tip to find the issue.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The description you find when you do a SET TRACEON=? is quite clear, I think.
So if you want to see all traces that deal with generating a sql statement you specify
SET TRACEON=STMTRACE//CLIENT
This sends the tracng back to the client, which usually is a web-page. The trace info is written to the htm page as comment, so you will usually only see it when you do a 'view source'. Or, when you do not generate any html output, you'll see it directly in the browser.
Alternatively, you can have the trace info written to a file, by specifying
SET TRACON=STMTRACE//USER and
SET TRACEUSER=fully qualified filename, extension trc.
At least, this is the way it works on pc and unix.

There is no equivalent to SYSPRINT, which you could filedef to go to a file in FOCUS. Every output of EDA will go to the standard out, accept for traces which you can redirect to the filesystem.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Real Thanks for your answers.
My Point was that UTCODRET a little tool of mine that -QUIT FOCUS (Not IF &FOCMODE EQ 'TSO') ignored that EDA was running with &FOCMODE = 'MSO' (this good old MSO ...)
The Trace did not show me that obviously, and the ECHO shouted an enormius Silence. Now &ECHO works again.
So, If i'm very happy that EDA is now talking to me. It will keep mute if things turn really wrong, and this I really don't like.
"I would like an equivalent to SYSPRINT that you can filedef ..." This TraceOn, User, etc ... Facility is probably great to many people, but to me, it's far away from my roots, from my old and silly love affair : Focus.
Cordialement and Focusly

Focus Mainframe 7.6.11