Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Security ON in Web Focus

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Security ON in Web Focus
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have security ON in web focus and i have set some user ids into the various groups that are allowed. I need to restrict the usage in my Web Focus server to some specified NT logins. Now users which i have not added in the list of users also get access to PRocedures/Version in the WF console. How do i totally restrict this? There is no MRE here by the way. Just access to my reporting server.

Master
posted Hide Post
Rethink your security. What are you trying to do. Why are users using the Console. Normally the console is for Admin's and Some Developers. If you want help give a detail description and to what you are trying to accomplish as far as security. Don't worry about the console at this point.

Scott

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
basically i turned security = PTH and gave user ids and passwords for ADMIN level but the password check simply doesnt happen. I am still able to login with any password. Also any user not configured also can access the admin console.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Karanth,

That is how the PTH mode which was WCPROTECT in the earlier releases is supposed to work. Even though every one can logon, they will not be able to do any thing except viewing the agents to see what is running under theire id.

How did you set the password for the user ids?.
You need to do it from the command level using edastart -change server_admin_id from the EDACONF/bin directory. At least this is how did it at the 5.2.5 level

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM

Posts: 176 | Location: Desplaines | Registered: August 05, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
thanks but how do i do it from the command level??? can u give me the full command?
See basically i want to restrict anyone from logging into my console. I also want to enable security in which i have a reporting application which can be used only by specified NT logins. For this i have security ON and have a list of IDs in a database and my FEX checks that. But if i have it as PTH the application security will not be there right? I do not have MRE installed, so how do i do all of this? Do i need a separate security level and not do it at a WF level?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Karanth,

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
how do i do it from the command level??
can u give me the full command?
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/groupee_common/platform_images/blank.gif
Go to your bin directory and type in
edastart -change server_admin_id.

It will prompt you for the user id and password to change.

See basically i want to restrict anyone from logging into my console. I also want to enable security in which i have a reporting application which can be used only by specified NT logins. For this i have security ON and have a list of IDs in a database and my FEX checks that.

But if i have it as PTH the application security will not be there right?
Yes, you are right you cannot prevent people from logging on to your web console if you have it as PTH, but remember if they are not defined as server admins or application admins, they can view their agents.

I do not have MRE installed, so how do i do all of this? Do i need a separate security level and not do it at a WF level?
Regard less of wether the server is ON or PTH, the NT logins on the box will be able to logon to the reporting server. Given this scenario I think PTH is the way to go that way you can atlest prevent them from killing their own agents.

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM

Posts: 176 | Location: Desplaines | Registered: August 05, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I put security as PTH and did wat u said - from the command line changed the password but it did not work.
This worked when Security = ON but for PTH i can login with thid id without any password.