Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     ReportCaster print multiple copies

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
ReportCaster print multiple copies
 Login/Join

posted
Looking for a way in ReportCaster to print multiple copies of the same document.
I'm setting up a job that prints a schedule to a printer, but I need to print for 40 people.
I don't really want it to run the job 40 times, just once then print 40 times.
Also, is there a way to control or pass other printer parameters such as double-sided, staple, etc.?

Robert B. Clark -- Business Systems Analyst
Daimler Trucks North America
Phone: 503.745.7057
"There's always a better way."
IBM Mainframe zOS 8.1.05, DB2 adapter
WF 8.1.05 Hub to Sub, Self-Service, SQL Server adapter

Posts: 25 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You really have to send it to a printer, e-mail won't do?

Anyway you can set up a printer distribution list.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good suggestion Prarie. Thank you.
But email won't work completely. People can't carry around an email and the supervisors need to hand out many copies for their personnel. The Distribution List solves the Quantity issue (albeit not to elegant) but it does not solve the printer options issue for a 20 page schedule that I want to print double-sided and stapled.

Posts: 25 | Location: Portland, OR | Registered: October 13, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Where I was able to control or have influence on this sort of thing, we sent and emailed report to the individuals concerned then if they needed to print it they did it themselves. This way they the printing is diverted to the appropriate departments budget for the paper, ink and equipment costs associated.

WF 7.7.04, WF 8.0.7, Win7, Win8, Linux, UNIX, Excel, PDF

Posts: 175 | Location: Pomona, NY | Registered: August 06, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
We save trees by creating Shared Drives on the network for each department and FTPing 1 copy to a folder on that departments shared drive.
Then, each person within the department that has access to the folder now has access to the report.

They then can do with it what they wish....

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately Tom, they wish it to be printed... for them... lots and lots of copies.
Confused

Guru
posted Hide Post
Here is an idea, loop on your last HOLD file creating many sets of the same data. Index with a seq field, output to PDF for print page breaking on the seq field.

I hope this doesn't make me the bad guy.

SET BYDISPLAY = ON

DEFINE FILE CAR
SEQ/I4 = 1;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY MODEL CAR
BY SEQ
ON TABLE HOLD AS CARTEST1
END
-RUN

-REPEAT :LOOPING FOR &N FROM 2 TO 5;
-SET &FSEQ = &N - 1;

DEFINE FILE CAR
SEQ/I4 = &N;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY MODEL CAR
BY SEQ
ON TABLE HOLD AS CARTEST&N
MORE
FILE CARTEST&FSEQ
END
-RUN
-:XXXIT
-:LOOPING

TABLE FILE CARTEST5
PRINT 
     'CARTEST5.CARTEST5.COUNTRY'
     'CARTEST5.CARTEST5.MODEL'
     'CARTEST5.CARTEST5.CAR'
BY 'CARTEST5.CARTEST5.SEQ' NOPRINT

ON CARTEST5.CARTEST5.SEQ PAGE-BREAK
HEADING
"Multiple Page Report "
" "
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF 
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT PDF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N1,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N2,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N4,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=DATA,
     COLUMN=N3,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     COLUMN=N1,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     COLUMN=N2,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     COLUMN=N4,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=TITLE,
     COLUMN=N3,
     FONT='ARIAL',
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=1,
     OBJECT=TEXT,
     ITEM=1,
     SIZE=14,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
TYPE=HEADING,
     LINE=2,
     OBJECT=TEXT,
     ITEM=1,
     SIZE=14,
     STYLE=BOLD,
$
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Don Garland,

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Don, thanks for the suggestions and sample code. That looks very plausible. Can ReportCaster handle that?
I guess I'll test and find out. Smiler

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Another way that we resolved a similar issue was to set up a specific print queue on the printer where the defaults woudl be the special instructions needed. Most high-capacity printers now have the ability to handle multiple queues. So if you set up a new queue where all documents would be printed double-side with staples, you could just specify the print queue along with the printer address in ReportCaster and the printer would just take care of everything. In fact you could probably also specify for the queue that you always wanted 40 copies and then you wouldn't even need the distribution list.

Just a thought-

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Great info Darin. In talking with our Printer Queue guy, that is exactly what I'm working on right now. I'm just trying to get the PS output to be passed correctly to the new queue. One printer supports PS, the other doesn't, which is hampering progress.