Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CASE-OPENED]Temporary field in HEADING makes server hang in 8.1.05

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CASE-OPENED]Temporary field in HEADING makes server hang in 8.1.05
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Hi,

What's wrong in this code, when i have the TEST_RESULT field in the heading, whole server got hung, YES the server got hung.

I'm in 8.1.05.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES COUNTRY NOPRINT
ACROSS COUNTRY
COMPUTE TEST_RESULT/A30 = 'pass' ; 
HEADING
"Test Results <TEST_RESULT " -* this line is the culprit
END

Are you able to reproduce?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Posts: 406 | Location: India | Registered: June 13, 2013Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Weird.

I got this on 8.1.05 too:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?> 
- <ibfsrpc _jt="IBFSResponseObject" language="EN" localizeddesc="Abnormal termination of reporting server agent (Crashed or extreme operator kill)" name="runAdHocFex" returncode="32027" returndesc="IBFSException 32027: local error" subreturncode="0" subsystem="" type="simple">
- <ibfsparams size="7">
  <entry key="fexContent" value="TABLE FILE CAR 
ACROSS COUNTRY 
HEADING 
END" /> 
  <entry key="comp_pass" value="****" /> 
  <entry key="args" value="<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?><rootObject _jt="HashMap" loadFactor="0.75" threshold="12"></rootObject>" /> 
  <entry key="nodeName" value="__null" /> 
  <entry key="path" value="IBFS:/WFC/Repository/vesir218/std_reports/dev" /> 
  <entry key="applications" /> 
  <entry key="comp_user" value="__null" /> 
  </ibfsparams>
- <ibfserrorvalues size="3">
  <entry key="appName" value="vesir21815" /> 
  <entry key="edaNode" value="UNICODE" /> 
  <entry key="MSG" value="local error" /> 
  </ibfserrorvalues>
  </ibfsrpc>

WebFOCUS 8.1.05 / APP Studio

Posts: 272 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Logged in the case with IBI, will update here if i get any updates.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Guru
posted Hide Post
Do you need the COMPUTE after the ACROSS?

This works:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
COMPUTE TEST_RESULT/A30 = 'pass' ;  NOPRINT
 COUNTRY NOPRINT
ACROSS COUNTRY
HEADING
END

WebFOCUS 8.1.05 / APP Studio

Posts: 272 | Location: Brazil | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
There are a few things I don't understand about this example. Why do you SUM COUNTRY and then NOPRINT? Could you tell us what you're trying to accomplish?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I'm managing the infrastructure here, so the user(developers) is complaining about this issue, not sure about the COMPUTE field.
Please go ahead and remove COUNTRY from NOPRINT, see what you get in 8.1.05

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If your developer is typing this code in, then he should consider doing it the way Ricardo suggested: SUM xxxx COMPUTE yyy BY zzz ACROSS abcd

If this is something the GUI is generating, then you should ask him how he managed to do it step by step and report the problem to IBI. Even though sometimes you can get away with putting the syntax in different order, ideally, coding it the documented way is how you avoid this problem.

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
If you are going to create a COMPUTE for use in a Heading, you need to hold the data 1st. COMPUTE is a row-based column created AFTER the data is pulled.
If there is a constant to go into the Heading, use DEFINE, not COMPUTE

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
I totally understand that I could make it work just by tweaking the code, agreed with you ALL. It makes sense if the reporting server crashes, imagine the server has got hung and back to normal after 15 to 20 minutes.

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I agree. Bad code shouldn't crash the server; it should issue an error. In this particular case, I'm still wondering if this code was generated by the GUI or if your developer typed it in. I'm guessing he typed it in. Either way, it should be reported to IBI so they can address the crash.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
If you comment out the HEADING, you'll see that the COMPUTEd column goes after the ACROSS, which is probably the intended behaviour for this TABLE request.

I imagine that the COMPUTE was designed to return something like 'fail' under certin conditions, with the heading displaying the 'total' result as either 'pass' or 'fail'. That would be a useful implementation and should not hang the reporting server (it does so on 8104 too).

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Rifaz,
I repro'ed and also experienced the hang (didn't wait, rebooted).
1. I would notify IBI: there is no reason for this to cause a hang.
2. I would tell the user that there is no sense to his/her request.

However if it really is necessary then use a HOLD file, something like this:
TABLE FILE CAR
ACROSS COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET ASNAMES ON
ON TABLE SET HOLDLIST PRINTONLY
ON TABLE HOLD
END
TABLE FILE HOLD
PRINT 
-REPEAT #VALS FOR &I FROM 1 TO 5;
-SET &J=IF &I LE 9 THEN '0' | &I ELSE &I;
E&J
-#VALS
TEST_RESULT NOPRINT
HEADING
"Test Results <TEST_RESULT " 
END

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Points taken
1. To use the meaningful heading display (or) to understand the intention of having a heading display like above.
2. Logged in the case with the IBI already.

Thanks All

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x

posted Hide Post
Hi,

Do you have case opened for this ?

Even we are facing the same problem with pdf output. There is no issue with WF7 but WF8104 is getting hung and taking max of CPU utilization. There is a outstanding porduction issue on this. If you have iputs here please do share.
Did moving the Awaiting response. Thank you.
With Rgards;
Rao

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 and 8.x
Windows, All Outputs

Guru
posted Hide Post
No luck, you can tweak the code as a workaround in 8104. Case is in Product Division

-Rifaz

WebFOCUS 7.7.x and 8.x