Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Hyperstage Performance Active Reports

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Hyperstage Performance Active Reports
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Hi,

I created an Dokument, Format Active Report.

The Problem is it is quite slow and even if I Change my Metadata sothat I use Hyperstage, there's no improvement...

Does soemone know ehy?

My Dokuments contains like 7 Charts/Reports, which interact with eachother beacause of my Dokument funktionality. It's all created with InfoAssist, so ne really complicated Actions.

My Metadata containes (all in all) like 150.000 Entries - not really a lot.

Would be thankful for help!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
What's the source of your data? SQL Server, DB2, Oracle.....

Do you have JOINs, DEFEINs or COMPUTEs in your content?

If your data is in an RDBMS, I suggest you run with SQL Trace to see what kind of SQL your code is generating. Perhaps you can change things in the code that'll make your document run more efficiently.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
What do you mean by slow, slow to generate the Active Report, Slow when interacting with the report(s)? You can see how long to take to run just my saving it to a file as and AHTML file.

Scott

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
My Source is Oracle. I have some defines (just 4 or 5).

It's slow with interaction of the reports.
And - and that's what bothers me, it's not fasten then when I create the exact same Report with the Oracle source. So no difference between hyperstage and no hyperstage..

Is there in General a mentionable difference between using hyperstage in normal reports and Dashboards and Portals (not only visualizations, cause there it is really an improvement) then not using hyperstage?
Or is it really only useful in Connection with visualizations???

Thanks a lot

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Isn't interaction of ActiveReports done in the end-user client? That's the whole point of ActiveReports, isn't it?

In that case, the database, Oracle or HyperStage, only comes into play for creating the ActiveReport. The interaction is done within the client; no database gets involved from that point.

Hence the lack of difference between your sources. The client (browser or mail client or some such) is the bottleneck.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Jenni do you have Infoassist+ ? If yes, then better use Visualisations for this.

Test: WF 8.2
Prod: WF 8.2
DB: Progress, REST, IBM UniVerse/UniData, SQLServer, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, Greenplum, Athena.

Posts: 454 | Location: Europe | Registered: February 05, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks @Wep5622, that seems to be the reason, and seems Logical... sadfully

@Frans: I tried the same with Visualizations, but Active Reports has more, for me important, Features...

So thanks Smiler

WebFOCUS 8.1.05
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For large active reports, client-side performance will be mainly dependent on the amount of memory and the CPU speed of the system that the receiver of the report is using. I assume you can't very well tell your customers to plug in more memory...

Another issue may be network latency, especially on flaky wireless connections (for example in a factory full of big whirring machines causing interference).

You may be able to improve all these by reducing the amount of data you send to the report. Don't send unnecessary fields, keep your field sizes tight, use variable length fields (/AnV instead of /An), aggregate where you don't need details, etc.

Going further (and probably overboard), perhaps you can "pack" (parts of) your dataset for the report and have the report "unpack" it on the fly - but that will hit the CPUs on both ends of the line.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post