Focal Point
Friendly reminder: Please update your signatures

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8941065232

June 14, 2007, 04:28 PM
Kerry
Friendly reminder: Please update your signatures
Hi all Focal Pointers,

If you haven't done so, please take a minute to update your signature (via Profile page) with the following information:

1) What version of WebFOCUS are you using?
2) What platform are you on?
3) What output format(s) are you trying to create?

By doing this, it saves several requests regarding the release info before making inputs and should therefore increase the response rate.

Also, if you start a topic and receive an answer, please kindly say thank you to the person who helped you, and let everyone know the status of the issue for future references.

Thanks to everyone's input on the board, which makes the board a very useful resource. Questions, suggestions, ideas, and comments are always welcome! Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.
June 14, 2007, 04:58 PM
Prarie
Thanks Kerry!

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
Can we have a signature button or change 'Go' to something meaningful? That way there would be no excuse!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
Not everyone is able to put that information (version number, platform type, etc...) into their signature.

Some corporate polices do not allow you to place that information in a signature area. Even other coporate polices see that information as advertising the version and platforms you are on. This then can be used by people to exploit security holes.

One alternate way is to answer the question by stating something like... "FYI... You must be running version 7.x or later to utilize the ....... function.".
quote:
Some corporate polices do not allow you to place that information in a signature area. Even other coporate polices see that information as advertising the version and platforms you are on. This then can be used by people to exploit security holes.

SomeUsr

we do not want you to tell us if you are working for Ford or the US Navy, only the platform and the WF version is important. Since your name is a nick name and that info is in the signature nobody should be able to see who is who and who is using what.

If you do a search on focalpoint and look for my signature "WF 7.1.4 platform Windows, databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
" than the only record you will find is this message. Since that info is not in the normal message unless you will type it into the message.

so please update your signature, we won't tell it to the evil world...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

If someone has a corporate policy that restricts the type of information requested in the signature, then I'd suggest they always open cases with IBI to request help in lieu of posting their questions on this forum. IBI would already be aware of what releases/platforms they have since they are a licensed user and therefore, no corporate policy would be violated. Requesting assistance on this forum without giving complete information could prove to be counter productive.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows
I would love to make it a rule to only answer questions where the FocalPoint member has added the platform and WebFOCUS version to their signature.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
Hi Francis and all,

FYI, we are starting a process that requires all new registered members to fill out the signature field, in order to be approved.

To those who have not done so, please kindly go into your profile (via Profile page)and update your signature field to show the following:

1) What version of WebFOCUS are you using?
2) What platform are you on?
3) What output format(s) are you trying to create?

Thank you in advance for cooperation. As always, suggestions, idea, and comments are always more than welcome! Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.
Hi Kerry,

I am doing consulting work, do you want us to update it each time I am on a different assignment?

Just wondering,
Carol

------------------------------------------
last version used: v7.1; truly miss the wonderful things I did with WebFOCUS, HTML, & JavaScript.
Carol, you're in the same boat I'm in. I don't know whether the group likes what I did, but you can take a look at my profile. It's really not been an issue yet for me since I've not asked any questions, only answered them.

Data Migrator 5.3, 7.1, 7.6
WebFOCUS 7.1, 7.6, 7.7
SQL Server, Oracle, DB2
Windows
Carol, Jessica,

Same situation for me, although I do not see a problem with updating the signature when needed. It takes but a moment. You will see that my current signature has my current client basics on it. I too, mainly answer problems that other people have - probably about 99% (or more) of the time but I still add my details. It might reassure the person asking for assistance that the suggestions that I make are valid for their set-up.

SomeUsr

The security at my current Client site doesn't get any more intense - to the extent of being security cleared before working here. Also, I do not see the problem with adding the basic amount of info. If you need help then the people who are giving their time and knowledge to the individual and to the benefit of all members, deserve a little bit of information that will assist them in narrowing down the platform and release intricacies that may exist without having to repeatedly ask for it.

Generally, I think that insisting upon a basic level of information such as platform and release, with perhaps the RDBMS (and releaseWink) if applicable is a reasonable request. If you are in a situation that does not allow you to post this information then perhaps it would be better to deal direct with the Tech Support folks who will still require that information but it will not be in the public domain.

So I welcome Kerry and Kathleen's proposal to insist upon the basic info before registration, although how will I be able to get my posting rate up without having to ask for someone's signature to be updated? Razzer

T

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tony A,

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 
Good News Kerry

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003
It appears that some forum members are getting confused by our requests to update their signatures.

The Edit Profile page has a text area for Signature, but it also has text boxes for Production and Test Version and Platform.

Members are probably diligently filling out the Version and Platform text boxes but are then bombarded with our requests to update their signatures.

What are the Production and Test Version and Platform text boxes used for?

Cheers,

Francis.
Francis,

They are displayed when you look at someones profile!! However, the time taken to check out someones profile can be a right PITA and therefore it would be much better to have it shown in the signature - but then you knew that!!

T
Hi All - The Production and Test Version fields were here before my time and I too question whether or not they are necessary. It almost seems like a duplication of information. I would like to eliminate them if possible however, I am a bit stuck because some members have either one or the other...or noneFrowner filled out. If I eliminate those two fields the members that have an empty signature field will need to go back and update that information. Sweating I'll keep you posted. Any suggestions?

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kathleen
hmm... you can use MODIFY or MAINTAIN...

WF 8.1.05 Windows
Interestingly, I modified my signature to see if the change was dynamic throughout all my postings, but it only gets applied to the postings within a topic if you edit or add a posting to that topic. Even forcing a page refresh by clearing local cache etc. did not make a difference.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
quote:
It appears that some forum members are getting confused by our requests to update their signatures.

The Edit Profile page has a text area for Signature, but it also has text boxes for Production and Test Version and Platform.

Members are probably diligently filling out the Version and Platform text boxes but are then bombarded with our requests to update their signatures

Ah, i wondered why my 'profile' wasnt appearing - thanks Francis.

WF 8005 MRE BID RCaster DevStu PMF 5.3.1 Hotfix 5
XP Oracle.
Kathleen, could you write a script that copies the Prod/Test, etc. fields to the signature, if it's empty? Then the signature will at least have something and the FocalPointer can beautify the signature when needed.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
a text has to be in Upper case for alpha numeric format

That's it! I'm not asking anyone else to update their signatures!

Cheers, thanks a lot.

Francis

Kerry, Kathleen,

One thing that I have noticed (that may help?) is the signature is not shown on the Profile overview.

Perhaps displaying (and labelling) the signature on the overview page would help people understand that it is not the same as updating their Production and Test version nor their Platform texts?

It might be a good interim stage until you can get the login process sorted - or have you done that already?

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
Just one more confused customer...

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...681014752#8681014752

Francis

Hi Kerry,

I am working as an “InfoBuild India” employee, i would like to do 'WEBFOCUS' certification. So how to do,Could you please assist me.

Thanks & Regards
suresh@infobuild.in

WebFocus 7.1.6