Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     How to define a field based on number of records in the table?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
How to define a field based on number of records in the table?
 Login/Join

<new2focus>
posted
ITEM_MASTER
-----------
ITEM_ID ;     NUMBER(10)
MASTER_ID   NUMBER(10)
UPC             VARCHAR2(20)
DESCRIPTION VARCHAR2(50)
UNIT_PRICE   NUMBER(10,2)

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE ITEM_MASTER
PRINT UPC             AS 'MAS_UPC'
        DESCRIPTION   AS 'MAS_DESC'
        UNIT_PRICE    AS 'MAS_PRICE'
BY     ITEM_ID        AS 'MAS_ITEMID'
WHERE (ITEM_ID EQ MASTER_ID AND ITEM_ID EQ 100);
ON TABLE HOLD AS MASITEMS
END

-* Get all associated items
JOIN MAS_ITEMID IN MASITEMS TO ALL MASTER_ID IN ITEM_MASTER AS MC1
END

-* I need to define a field based on the number of associated items in the hold file
DEFINE FILE MASITEMS
ITEM_TYPE/A15 = IF ITEM_ID EQ MASTER_ID AND (if associated items exists (total number of records > 1)) THEN 'MASTER ITEM' ELSE '';
END

How do I find out the total number of items in the hold file and make use of it in the IF condition?
ITEM_TYPE/A15 = IF ITEM_ID EQ MASTER_ID AND &LINES GT 1 THEN 'MASTER ITEM' ELSE '';
This doesn't work...

Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The problem is with the use of &LINES in this context. It's value has been reset to 0.

Do the following:

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE ITEM_MASTER
PRINT UPC AS 'MAS_UPC'
DESCRIPTION AS 'MAS_DESC'
UNIT_PRICE AS 'MAS_PRICE'
BY ITEM_ID AS 'MAS_ITEMID'
ON TABLE HOLD AS MASITEMS
END
-RUN
-SET &M_LINES = &LINES ;

-* Get all associated items
JOIN MAS_ITEMID IN MASITEMS TO ALL MASTER_ID IN ITEM_MASTER AS MC1
END

ITEM_TYPE/A15 = IF ITEM_ID EQ MASTER_ID AND &M_LINES GT 1 THEN 'MASTER ITEM' ELSE '';

If at first things don't work, remember to insert:

-SET &ECHO = ALL ;

at the top of your program. This will give you a lot of information. If you do it in this case, you will see a zero (0) substituted for &LINES (in your existing logic).

Ken

Posts: 177 | Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada | Registered: April 25, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
how about just counting your item elements per id when you make your first extract.
SUM CNT.DST.UPC AS kITEMS
BY ITEM_ID AS MAS_ITEMID
PRINT UPC AS 'MAS_UPC'
DESCRIPTION AS 'MAS_DESC'
UNIT_PRICE AS 'MAS_PRICE'
BY ITEM_ID AS 'MAS_ITEMID'
then you'll have your number of different flavors of each item right in your record.

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
<new2focus>
posted
I forgot to mention one thing in my post. The first extract will always return only one item. This item can be a master reference item (other items use this as their pricing reference) or it can be an independent item (without any other items associated with it). That�s why I am joining it with the item_master table to see if it has any other items associated with it or not. If it has any then the join will have more than one record as the result. I have to mark all the master items with prefix �MASTER ITEM� on the report. This proc will be included inside a repeat loop from the main procedure.

Report This Post
<new2focus>
posted
Could anyone know how to find the number of records in a join? In my case how do I find out the total number of records after I run the join?

Report This Post