Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Performance with the HTML Composer in App Studio

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Performance with the HTML Composer in App Studio
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Does anyone else have performance issues with the HTML Composer? Whether it's moving objects on the canvas, editing the text for a label or even when Showing/Hiding the Environments Tree? I timed the Showing/Hiding and it can take up to 10-15 seconds to close. It reminds me of "way back in the past" when you had to connect via modem and you saw each line refresh on the screen.

I believe I have a standard laptop configuration with 8GB of memory. I've opened a case and awaiting an answer but want to see if others are experiencing the same issue?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 55 | Location: Phoenix | Registered: March 01, 2018Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen this behavior. What version of App Studio, Windows and how much free disk space do you have? What kind of computer are you using?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
8202 on a HP Revolve 810 / Intel Processor / 238GB with 85GB available / Windows 7 Pro SP1

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I'm on Windows 10 but according to doc Windows 7 Enterprise is supported. Do you have any other machines you can test?

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You can count this as just 1 of the many reasons I've given up on AppStudio.

The lagging started back in the 8.1 days, and still persists now in 8202M.

Plenty of everything a program should need to run on my work laptop.

Have a Dell Latitude E6540 on Windows 10 Enterprise with 8GB RAM, 64 bit OS, Intel Core i5 running at 2.70GHz.

8.2.02M (production), 8.2.02M (test), Windows 10, all outputs.

Posts: 1113 | Location: USA | Registered: January 27, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
You all are giving me no confidence on upgrading to 8.2.02 App Studio.

We've been told its much faster.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The only way to find out whether it's going to behave for you or not is to try it. Mileage DOES vary depending on user. Even within the same site. I, personally, can't access the metadata canvas tool anymore. I've reverted to older versions and back again. No different. Another AppStudio admin user has issues getting the tool to recognize he is him so he is unable to edit or save changes to his OWN "My Content" files. I have no problem in that dept though. He has no problem with his metadata canvas either. My other colleague can't get the HTMLComposer tool to play nice for him. Layouts are all sucked up against the left edge of the canvas. Not on mine though. LOL

This, all on top of getting the frequent (Not Responding) message on active windows/tabs within the tool...regularly.

Advice: download it and connect it to a test environment. Then see what kids cereal box bug prize(s) you get compared to others of us. Big Grin Roll Eyes There's at least one in every box! LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I also get the "Not Responding" message all the time. Takes about 30 seconds sometimes to come back but I've learned to live with that.

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Do you edit everything in App Studio ?

I use an external editor as much as possible.

The saves are quick, and no lag.

From what I have seen of 8.1.04, every fex/html page opened seems to be opened like an object, each and every part of the fex, and it hits the OS resources hard.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I only use the Canvas for HTML pages and try to avoid the GUI for reporting as much as possible. Just the old-time focus coder in me.

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
Good to know that there are still some old time coders around.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Gold member
posted Hide Post
20 years with IB

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
20 years with IB

Wow,

I only made 10 Years

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I also use an external editor as much as possible myself: VS Code

I've never opened AppStudio's report building tool since the beginning of 2015 when I began working with IBI products. I've always used the text editor to build things, because language always wins over GUI. I used to use Notepad++ but have since moved to VS Code. Would love to figure out an extension that would let me view the environment tree from the File Explorer within VS Code. Then if IBI baked AppStudio's HTML Composer tool's manual responsive filtering creation that lets you decide chaining, etc. on your own into their new WF Designer tool, I could finally just delete AppStudio altogether. Would be a day of much celebration.

I use this extension in VS Code that gives me a lot of nice functionality.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CoolGuy,

Expert
posted Hide Post
I've been using EditPlus for the same reasons, since before 1999 ( Check the date on the Focus Syntax Files ).

Eek, I feel old.

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I think the performance issue is largely a function of the backend setup. My computer isn't anything special and I just opened two decent sized launch pages and a largish focexec in as close to instantly as is realistic - a couple of seconds.

I use App Studio 8.2.02M. Most of my focexecs are too complex for the canvas, so I open them in the internal editor. The repository makes it more difficult to use external editors for me. I occasionally copy/paste focexecs to NotePad++.

I play by the rules in HTML Composer and it does a good job. Heaven help you if you break the rules - then it's back to hand coding all the HTML, JavaScript and JQuery.

As an old guard FOCUS developer (1980) I have seen the product develop from mainframe only, through PC-FOCUS and now the all the WebFOCUS versions. It seems like the applications we develop use considerably more HTML, JavaScript and JQuery than FOCUS anymore. They look spiffier, but take a different mindset than in the foggy days of the 80's. I spend considerably more time developing the launch pages and portals than writing the focexecs that they kick off.

WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Production
WebFOCUS 8.2.04 - Sand Box
Windows 2012 R2 Server
HTML, PDF, Excel
In FOCUS since 1980

Posts: 115 | Location: Seattle, WA | Registered: April 07, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
"hand coding all the HTML, JavaScript and JQuery" = nirvana.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
"hand coding all the HTML, JavaScript and JQuery" Also = Management Don't like it

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Expert
posted Hide Post
"Management Don't like it" - they don't know why they don't like it, they've been told not to.

They think that upgraded GUI tools will keep opening old versions of the pages, little do they know, because they don't use the tools they've been sold.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
they don't know why they don't like it

They think that more people will know how to "point and click" their way to solutions and only highly paid gigawizards can hand code.

WebFOCUS Administrator @ Worldpay FIS
PROD/DEV/TEST: 8204, SANDBOX: 8206 soon - BIP, Reportcaster, Resource Manager, EUM, HyperStage soon, DB: HIVE,Oracle,MSSQL

Posts: 291 | Location: Greater Cincinnati  | Registered: May 11, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm avoiding using App Studio as long as possible. I've tried it, I'm just not a huge fan...but I know I'll have to be sooner than later. I do recall when I was giving it a fair shake that the HTML composer was a bit slow. But alas I, like many of the others, use an external editor (either UltraEdit or NP++).

Also, to go along with the other discussion late on this one...if I had a dollar for every time I've heard from people requesting work requiring an IB report the statement "It can't be that hard" I'd be able to afford a vacation (especially if date conversions are necessary).

JC
WebFOCUS Dev Studio / App Studio
Windows 7

Posts: 146 | Registered: November 09, 2015Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Les J,
I would try using "simulated data" option instead of Live Data, that definitely helps designing the page. Its under AppStudio Options--HTML Page-->Preview Settings

Posts: 289 | Location: Houston,TX | Registered: June 11, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I never use live data or simulated data.

WebFOCUS 8

Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
All hail the gigawizards

Waz...

In Focus since 1984

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
#GigaWizudsFoLife

Master
posted Hide Post
-INCLUDE me with the coders. I will be keeping a copy of Dev Studio around until I retire. I won't use APP Studio unless there is no other way. I'll have it installed but it won't get much use. We still have almost every line of code on the Reporting Server and I have no plans to change.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Lucky you! We had to move to 8. Took us a good 2 years to get everything and everyone off 7.