Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Supressing heading lines if info is missing/blank

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Supressing heading lines if info is missing/blank
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I am using the heading to create a one job report of basic job information. My problem is I have variables that could have data or it could not have data. How do I suppress the blank lines so the report looks dynamic?

Example:
DEFINE FILE JOBINFOALL
NAMEST1/A200 = IF NMSQTY1 EQ 0 THEN 'No namestamp lists have been received.' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM1DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY1T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD1);
NAMEST2/A200 = IF NMSQTY2 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM2DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY2T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD2);
NAMEST3/A200 = IF NMSQTY3 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM3DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY3T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD3);
NAMEST4/A200 = IF NMSQTY4 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('There are more than 3 name stamp lists submitted with a total quantity of '| NMSQTY4T);
END
TABLE FILE JOBINFOALL
HEADING
"Namestamp:"
"""""End of report"

I don't want NAMEST2, NAMEST3 or NAMEST4 to show up on this report. This is the output I get.

Namestamp:
A list was received on 2 /1 /2008 with a quantity of 76 in color Bright Gold

End of report

Any ideas?

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Posts: 67 | Location: Marceline, Missouri | Registered: August 09, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Please put your code within code tags. Click the
</>
button to generate the code tags and then paste you code within them.

What output formats are you using?

By the way, we would appreciate you adding your environment details to your forum profile (accessible here: Member Profile)

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi

There is a similar post here...

https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/1581091462

gregv's approach works. But if you have many heading lines and each line might or might not be wanted...

I think that if you truly want the info in the heading and you do not want to ever see a blank line in the header then you need to use ampers. This can get complicated if you have many pages etc. But the logic would be to stick the entire heading line in an amper like this...

-SET &HEAD1=IF SOMETHING THEN '"HEADING LINE 1"' ELSE '';
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
HEADING &HEAD1
END

So first hold the data.. then read the data and set ampers and then build the heading ampers. If you have many pages of data and the heading will be different on each page then it can still be done inside a loop.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There may be an easy solution if your output is HTML only - I'd like to know before replying.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
DEFINE FILE JOBINFOALL
NAMEST1/A200 = IF NMSQTY1 EQ 0 THEN 'No namestamp lists have been received.' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM1DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY1T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD1);
NAMEST2/A200 = IF NMSQTY2 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM2DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY2T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD2);
NAMEST3/A200 = IF NMSQTY3 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM3DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY3T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD3);
NAMEST4/A200 = IF NMSQTY4 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('There are more than 3 name stamp lists submitted with a total quantity of '| NMSQTY4T);
END
TABLE FILE JOBINFOALL
HEADING
"<NAMEST1"
"<NAMEST2"
"<NAMEST3"
"<NAMEST4"
"End of report" 
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT HTML
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON

That is the code. My profile is correct. The output format is to the screen. I did not copy all of the formatting because that is fine, I just need help on the formatting of the one line that I don't want shown on the screen. In other words, I don't want blank lines showing on the screen in place of a data line. I want that line to go away! Like a FOC_NONE on a where clause.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JennyM,

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Posts: 67 | Location: Marceline, Missouri | Registered: August 09, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Yes, HTML only is the output....and I missed a quote copying this code....Behind the "end of report" line

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This becomes a little tricky, (but not impossible as Jodye states) when the headings are dependent on field values because you can't reference fields when setting &vars.

My suggestion would be to try something like the following. My example uses a simple heading, but I think it would be "doable" with something more complex as well. The technique is to concatenate everything into a single line and then use WRAP in the stylesheet to force it to move to the next line at the appropriate place. This way, you only get as many lines as you need.

DEFINE FILE CAR
HEADLINE1/A25='THIS IS HEADING LINE 1   ';
HEADLINE2/A25='THIS IS HEADING LINE 2   ';
HEADLINE3/A25='THIS IS HEADING LINE 3   ';
HEADLINE4/A25='THIS IS HEADING LINE 4   ';
ALLHEADLINE/A75=HEADLINE1|HEADLINE2|HEADLINE3;
-*ALLHEADLINE/A100=HEADLINE1|HEADLINE2|HEADLINE3|HEADLINE4;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     CAR
BY COUNTRY
HEADING
"<ALLHEADLINE "
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT PDF
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='TIMES NEW ROMAN',
     SIZE=10,
     COLOR='BLACK',
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=NORMAL,
$
TYPE=HEADING, LINE=1, WRAP=1.8,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Regarles of whether you use the length 75 heading or the length100 heading, it looks correct.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darin Lee,

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
WOO HOOO!!!! Good One Sweating thanks so much. That worked great! EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED!!!! The end result is here!
  DEFINE FILE JOBINFOALL
ALLNAMEST/A510 = NAMEST1|NAMEST2|NAMEST3|NAMEST4;
END
TABLE FILE JOBINFOALL
HEADING
"<ALLNAMEST"
"End of report"

and it shows on the screen like this!

Namestamp: 
End of report

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Expert
posted Hide Post
With
ALLNAMEST/A510 = NAMEST1|NAMEST2|NAMEST3|NAMEST4;
won't your heading lines be concatenated together?

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
YEP! You are correct! HMMM NOW WHAT Confused
I only had data on the first line...

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
but if you use WRAP= or WIDTH= (width doesn't work for PDF, but is does for HTML) in the stylesheet for the HEADING and get the correct width, it LOOKS like it's on multiple lines, and only uses as many lines as necessary. Looks like this

PAGE 1
THIS IS HEADING LINE 1
THIS IS HEADING LINE 2
THIS IS HEADING LINE 3
COUNTRY CAR
ENGLAND TRIUMPH
FRANCE PEUGEOT
ITALY MASERATI
JAPAN TOYOTA
W GERMANY BMW

or

PAGE 1
THIS IS HEADING LINE 1
THIS IS HEADING LINE 2
THIS IS HEADING LINE 3
THIS IS HEADING LINE 4
COUNTRY CAR
ENGLAND TRIUMPH
FRANCE PEUGEOT
ITALY MASERATI
JAPAN TOYOTA
W GERMANY BMW

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
That would be fine if that was all I am showing in the report, HOWEVER, I have many lines (50 so far)of heading lines displaying different job specs of differing lengths per line. IE some lines may have 14 characters, other lines may have 150 characters. I don't want to limit the overall style to wrap at a certain length to accommodate this piece when other pieces need more length to look "pretty".
This is live look at the data.

Total Pages: 160  
Printed Pages: 160  
Blank Pages: 0  
Total Pages Submitted: 115 / completing 6 flats on 02/25/2008  

Your requested delivery date is on or before 05/22/2008  

Copies: 350  

Mounting: Yearbook Cnct Disk Submit  
Trim Size: 8 1/2 X 11  
Binding: Smyth Sewn Hard Cover  
Round and Back: RB  
Proof Type: CD Proofs  
Paper Stock: LEGEND GLOSS 80 #  

Optional Items:  
Autograph Supplement: Quantity of 37 size 08 Autograph Supp./Ship with book  
Plastic Book Protector/Cover: Quantity of 35 size 08  
Year in Review: Quantity of 63 size 08 Cust Tip/YR IN REVIEW Mini-Mag  
CE Buzz: Not Ordered  
UV Coating: You have not submitted any pages requesting UV Coating.  

Cover Specs: 
Your cover was received on 10/22/2007  
Stock: PRINTED HARD COVER on 120 PT ESKA BOARD  
Proofs: Digital Proof  
Your cover will contain: (LIST OUT PROCESSES STILL IN PROGRESS) 

Namestamp: 
A list was received on 2/1/2008 with a quantity of 76 in color Bright Gold 

iTag: 
A list was received on 2/1/2008 with a quantity of 106 in color Silver w/ Black Lettering 

Endsheet Specs: 
Your endsheet was received on 10/22/2007  
Stock: Front stock is STANDARD WHITE ENDLEAF Back stock is STANDARD WHITE ENDLEAF  
Proofs: Digital Proof  
Your cover will contain: (LIST OUT PROCESSES STILL IN PROGRESS) 

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Okay. so forget about the wrap. Since this is HTML display only, just throw in some HTML tags and it still looks right.

DEFINE FILE CAR
HEADLINE1/A25='THIS 1                   ';
HEADLINE2/A25='THIS IS 2                ';
HEADLINE3/A25='THIS IS HEADING 3        ';
-*ALLHEADLINE/A75=HEADLINE1|HEADLINE2|HEADLINE3;
ALLHEADLINE/A112=HEADLINE1|'<BR>'|HEADLINE2|'<BR>'|HEADLINE3|'<BR>'|HEADLINE4;
END

you get

PAGE 1

THIS 1
THIS IS 2
THIS IS HEADING 3
THIS IS HEADING LINE 4

COUNTRY CAR
ENGLAND TRIUMPH
FRANCE PEUGEOT
ITALY MASERATI
JAPAN TOYOTA
W GERMANY BMW

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Gold member
posted Hide Post
ahhhh NOW THAT WORKS BETTER....Thanks!

Namestamp: 
A 2nd list of ABC 
A 3rd list of DEF 
A 4th list of GHI 

I hard coded those 2, 3, 4th lines to make sure they printed correctly!

I was not aware that you could imbed returns like that within webFocus. Great job Darin Lee

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Nice Darin.

What if it was pdf?

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Good question Jodye! I tested this out and it shows the
  <br> 
markers on the PDF form. and shows the 3 lines as they were in one continuous line.

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Entirely different question. you could use a fixed font and make sure spaces were embedded properly and the WRAP= would still work.

I don't know if there is a way to insert an escape character or string into a PDF doc to force a line break.

Ideas, anyone?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Just as I posted that, something clicked in the back of my head to remind me that I had seen this somewhere before so I searched the forum for line break and found the following technique, modified for use by heading:
DEFINE FILE CAR 
HEADLINE1/A25='THIS 1                   ';
HEADLINE2/A25='THIS IS 2                ';
HEADLINE3/A25='THIS IS HEADING 3        ';
ALLHEADLINE/A106=HEADLINE1|'; '|HEADLINE2|'; '|HEADLINE3|'; '|HEADLINE4;
NEWHEADLINE/A106 = CTRAN(106, ALLHEADLINE, 059, 013, NEWHEADLINE); 
END 
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM
     CAR
BY COUNTRY
HEADING
"<NEWHEADLINE "
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT PDF
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
     UNITS=IN,
     SQUEEZE=ON,
     ORIENTATION=PORTRAIT,
$
TYPE=REPORT,
     GRID=OFF,
     FONT='COURIER',
     SIZE=10,
     COLOR='BLACK',
     BACKCOLOR='NONE',
     STYLE=NORMAL,
$
TYPE=REPORT,LINEBREAK='CR',$ 
ENDSTYLE
END

Reference is here

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The
<br>
marker is an HTML tag so it would ONLY be valid when the report is displayed in HTML format. Any other format, as Jenny discovered, would not work correctly. The above code using the LINEBREAK='CR' will work correctly for a PDF doc, but not for HTML. So take your pick.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hey everyone, the
 <br>  
still gives you the extra 3 lines. You have to set that concatenation line up in stages....
IE
DEFINE FILE JOBINFOALL
NAMEST1/A125 = IF NMSQTY1 EQ 0 THEN 'No namestamp lists have been received.'  ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM1DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY1T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD1);
NAMEST2/A125 = IF NMSQTY2 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM2DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY2T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD2);
NAMEST3/A125 = IF NMSQTY3 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('A list was received on '| NM3DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' | NMSQTY3T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD3);
NAMEST4/A125 = IF NMSQTY4 EQ 0 THEN '' ELSE ('There are more than 3 name stamp lists submitted with a total quantity of '| NMSQTY4T);
ALLNAMEST/A600 = IF NMSQTY4 NE 0 THEN NAMEST1|'<BR>'|NAMEST2|'<BR>'|NAMEST3|'<BR>'|NAMEST4 ELSE IF NMSQTY3 NE 0 THEN NAMEST1|'<BR>'|NAMEST2|'<BR>'|NAMEST3 ELSE IF NMSQTY2 NE 0 THEN NAMEST1|'<BR>'|NAMEST2 ELSE NAMEST1;
END
TABLE FILE JOBINFOALL
HEADING
"<ALLNAMEST"
""
"End of report."
END

and it gives you the following report

Namestamp: 
A list was received on 2/1/2008 with a quantity of 76 in color Bright Gold 

End of report.  

I made the modifications and it works nicely. Just remember that if your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines are blank, you have to rebuild the concatenation line based on those properties. In my example, you can assume there will be some sort of data in line 1 because if it is null, you are putting
  No namestamp lists have been received.

Jen
WF7.1.4
Win/nt/win2003
HTML/PDF/Excel2000

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In many cases, when people post code as a solution, the person with the problem runs it, finds that it is not quite what they need, and then they post again saying "That's not quite what I need. Now what do I do?" This is an excellent example of someone taking what they know and making it work for what they need. Good job Jen!!

Not to say that this is a no-no. Sometimes we just can't figure things out, especially if it's someone else's code. But seeing this example really let's you know that someone has been truly "helped." Teach a man to fish...

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jen,
It might be easier to include the br tags in the seperate fields, and only if this fields is assigned a non-blank value.
That way you won't have this complex if-statement for computing the all-field.
This would look something like:
DEFINE FILE JOBINFOALL
NAMEST1/A125 = IF NMSQTY1 EQ 0 THEN 'No namestamp lists have been received.<br>'
               ELSE ('A list was received on ' | NM1DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' |
               NMSQTY1T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD1 | '<br>');
NAMEST2/A125 = IF NMSQTY2 EQ 0 THEN ''
               ELSE ('A list was received on ' | NM2DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' |
               NMSQTY2T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD2 | '<br>');
NAMEST3/A125 = IF NMSQTY3 EQ 0 THEN ''
               ELSE ('A list was received on ' | NM3DATEA | 'with a quantity of ' |
               NMSQTY3T | 'in color ' | NMSCLD3 | '<br>');
NAMEST4/A125 = IF NMSQTY4 EQ 0 THEN ''
               ELSE ('There are more than 3 name stamp lists submitted with a total quantity of '| NMSQTY4T | '<br>');
ALLNAMEST/A600 = NAMEST1 | NAMEST2 | NAMEST3 | NAMEST4;
END

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post