Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Converting CYYMMDD to Serial Value

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Converting CYYMMDD to Serial Value
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

I've been searching forums all over the place to find an answer to this one. Does anyone know if there is a formula which will convert the IBM date format of CYYMMDD (bearing in mind this is an integer in the tables with no decimals) and converting it to a serial value date that excel will easily convert into any date format I could wish for?!

so for today the IBM date format is 1130312 (1 is the century, 13 the year, 03 the month and 12 the day). And the serial value in excel is 41345. I doubt there is such a magic formula but I can always live in Hope! Smiler

Thanks in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Michael_86,

Webfocus 7.7.03
Windows
Excel

Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd convert it to a WebFOCUS date format (where the 1st "1" is "20") and use the Almost 1001 things you can do with dates...

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Try this:

DEFINE FILE CAR
IBM/I7=1130312;
CIBM/I8YYMD=19000000 + IBM;
FIBM/DMYY=CIBM;
END
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT FIBM
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses,

I also spoke to the support guys and their answer was to concat, cast and substr the date to create the output I want, not overly pretty but it works.

Danny, your code looks cool however im struggling to implement it as I write in SQL script as opposed to using WF. Is IBM meant to be a defined field? or is it created by me first?

Thanks

Webfocus 7.7.03
Windows
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Yes "IBM" is a DEFINEd field.
Pardon my saying so, but why write in SQL script? Let WF do the work instead of "concat, cast and substr"!
I only use SQL as a last resort.

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Danny,

Thanks i'll see if I can give it a try.

The reason I'm writing in SQL script is because I was trained in SQL in my last work, and I have never used WF before and have been unable to find a basic training guide for simple report writing. So using the knowledge I have and putting it to use in the best way I can.

Michael

Webfocus 7.7.03
Windows
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SQL is fine to collect the data although webfocus is much easier
After the data collection you still need to write your report which is more then the data.
Or is somebody doing that in excel? Brrrr...

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Michael,
Take a week's holiday over here: see the sights and learn WebFOCUS!

Daniel
In Focus since 1982

posted Hide Post
Frank - As I work in accounts all im really using this for is data mining, after extraction it is put into excel to populate our Financial Statements, and also I use it to pull out transactional data which I can then review and investigate easier in excel than in our accounting system (Good Old Chorus!)

Danny - You're on! Smiler if only I could get the holiday...

Webfocus 7.7.03
Windows
Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ah, problems of time and distance!

Well, there is always "TeamViewer" for remote hands-on training and support...
...and remote vicarious tourism

Daniel
In Focus since 1982