Focal Point
[CLOSED] Generate description for a field when creating a mfd for a SQL Server table

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/8987011495

November 22, 2010, 10:17 AM
<AMCKELPH>
[CLOSED] Generate description for a field when creating a mfd for a SQL Server table
Does anyone know how to pull the description for a field when creating a mfd for a SQL Server 2005 table so that the description shows in the mfd? The SQL Server table that I'm working with has an MS_Description extended property set on it. I would like for WebFOCUS to generate this description in the mfd when I create it.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,
December 02, 2010, 11:03 AM
Kerry
Hi Antione,

Suggestion from our iWay people:

Per the doc:
Reference: Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym
The adapter enables you to capture non-Unicode column descriptions from MS SQL tables.
When you generate a synonym for a Microsoft SQL table, the adapter maps MS SQL Server column comments (if present) to the DESCRIPTION attribute in the synonym's Master File.

So, if this is not working, please open a case with Customer Support Services, and we will need to debug it. To open a case, please either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.
December 02, 2010, 11:11 AM
GamP
Could it then be that the database is unicode? Since this is for ms sql 2005, there is a high probability that the database has been created in unicode mode. That way, no descriptions will be collected.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
December 02, 2010, 11:33 AM
<AMCKELPH>
Kerry,

Where do you find this documentation: "Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym"? Is it on IBI site under the Documetation section because I can't find it?
December 02, 2010, 03:46 PM
Francis Mariani
It's mentioned in the essential document "Adapter Administration for UNIX, Windows, OpenVMS, i5/OS, and z/OS":

Using the Adapter for Microsoft SQL Server > Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym.

Look for the 7.6.4 document.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
December 02, 2010, 05:27 PM
<AMCKELPH>
Francis, I'm not finding a section named "Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym" in the "Using the Adapter for Microsoft SQL Server" section of this doc. Are you sure it is the 7.6.4 version?
December 03, 2010, 01:06 AM
Francis Mariani
I never said it was in the 7.6.4 version. We use 7.6.8 so I checked the 7.6.8 document. I suggested you look in the version you use, which is 7.6.4.

I just checked the 7.6.4 and 7.6.5 documentation and this subject is not in either - though that does not mean you can't try using it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server
December 03, 2010, 12:01 PM
Kerry
Hi Antione,

Information from Microsoft site:

Microsoft Native Client Limitation. Due to a limitation in the Microsoft Native Client exposed by the new column description features, MS SQL 2005 Service Pack
1 (2005.90.2047) or higher is required to achieve full functionality with the MS SQL 2005 adapter. To determine which version of the SQL Server you are
using, refer to the following article titled How to identify your SQL Server version and edition:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185

Are you on SP1 for SQL Server 2005?

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
December 03, 2010, 12:21 PM
<AMCKELPH>
I'm on SP3 for SQL Server 2005. Still investigating why it's not pulling the description into MFD....
December 09, 2010, 11:45 AM
Kerry
Hi Antione,

I checked with our iWay manager and was suggested that, this should be addressed by a case, since this is not a Dev issue. To open a case, please either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator