Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Generate description for a field when creating a mfd for a SQL Server table

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Generate description for a field when creating a mfd for a SQL Server table
 Login/Join

<AMCKELPH>
posted
Does anyone know how to pull the description for a field when creating a mfd for a SQL Server 2005 table so that the description shows in the mfd? The SQL Server table that I'm working with has an MS_Description extended property set on it. I would like for WebFOCUS to generate this description in the mfd when I create it.

If anyone has any thoughts, please let me know.

Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Antione,

Suggestion from our iWay people:

Per the doc:
Reference: Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym
The adapter enables you to capture non-Unicode column descriptions from MS SQL tables.
When you generate a synonym for a Microsoft SQL table, the adapter maps MS SQL Server column comments (if present) to the DESCRIPTION attribute in the synonym's Master File.

So, if this is not working, please open a case with Customer Support Services, and we will need to debug it. To open a case, please either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could it then be that the database is unicode? Since this is for ms sql 2005, there is a high probability that the database has been created in unicode mode. That way, no descriptions will be collected.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
<AMCKELPH>
posted
Kerry,

Where do you find this documentation: "Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym"? Is it on IBI site under the Documetation section because I can't find it?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
It's mentioned in the essential document "Adapter Administration for UNIX, Windows, OpenVMS, i5/OS, and z/OS":

Using the Adapter for Microsoft SQL Server > Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym.

Look for the 7.6.4 document.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
<AMCKELPH>
posted
Francis, I'm not finding a section named "Mapping Microsoft SQL Table Comments Into a Synonym" in the "Using the Adapter for Microsoft SQL Server" section of this doc. Are you sure it is the 7.6.4 version?

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I never said it was in the 7.6.4 version. We use 7.6.8 so I checked the 7.6.8 document. I suggested you look in the version you use, which is 7.6.4.

I just checked the 7.6.4 and 7.6.5 documentation and this subject is not in either - though that does not mean you can't try using it.

Sorry for the confusion.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Antione,

Information from Microsoft site:

Microsoft Native Client Limitation. Due to a limitation in the Microsoft Native Client exposed by the new column description features, MS SQL 2005 Service Pack
1 (2005.90.2047) or higher is required to achieve full functionality with the MS SQL 2005 adapter. To determine which version of the SQL Server you are
using, refer to the following article titled How to identify your SQL Server version and edition:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185

Are you on SP1 for SQL Server 2005?

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
<AMCKELPH>
posted
I'm on SP3 for SQL Server 2005. Still investigating why it's not pulling the description into MFD....

Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Antione,

I checked with our iWay manager and was suggested that, this should be addressed by a case, since this is not a Dev issue. To open a case, please either call at 1-800-736-6130, or access online at InfoResponse.

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator