Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     storing values as 'global'?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
storing values as 'global'?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I have a .fex that 'drills down' into itself on many different levels.

For example, It drills for a
Region
to a Divisions within the Region
to Stores within a division and
Stores within the Region.

Is there any way to store an amper variable globally, so that it doesn't necessarily need to be passed from one level to the next, just set it as global and reference it later within my code?

Thanks!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Each report request is an individual WF session, therefore global variables will not be available from one session to another. The only ways I can think of to pass parameters between sessions (without passing them in the actual request) would be to create a cookie containing the parameters and values or writing the parameters and values to a file.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thanks francis, that makes things a little clearer now.

How does the !IBI.AMP.MYVARIABLE; work?
Where does the information for 'myvariable' reside when I use this method?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
&MYVARIABLE would be one of the four following types of Dialogue Manager variables:

- a parameter passed to the fex by a form or a calling fex (EX or -INCLUDE)
- a parameter created withing the fex itself
- a 'system variable' parameter, eg. date: &YYMD
- a 'system variable' parameter passed to the fex via settings in a configuration file, eg. site.wfs or cgivars.wfs in c:\ibi\srv53\wfs\etc\

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis you forget the ones you can create by / in edasprof.prf .

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Frank, I could be wrong, but, as far as I know, you can only create global variables in edasprof.prf, which are

&&MYVARIABLE - !IBI.GLB.MYVARIABLE;

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
I'm still struggling with this...
is it common to drill down three levels in the same fex, where the third level can acquire data from the first level?

For example, From
Region to Division - pass region From
Division to Area - pass division and/or Region
Area to Store - pass region, division, area...where any of these could be FOC_NONE.

Such a confusing thing we're trying to do. Logically it makes sense, but when I'm trying to code it in webfocus I would like to store the Division that they drill into as a permanent value for the session they are using, that way when they get to the store level, the division session variable can be gathered and used in the where clause.

Ideas?

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

I always think that the safest method is to force the control within your code and to pass these values in the drilldown style code.

And no, it is not unusual to drill down many times from one report to another. However, if the data level and quantity is not too large then using EXPANDABLE might be a suitable alternative, as there would only have to be one pass of the data and therefore your end user would benefit from the reduced time of retrieval at each drill down.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the reply Tony A.

Could you clear this up for a newbie?
quote:
force the control within your code

The rest of your suggestions make sense...1) use an accordian report. 2) it's acceptable to pass data between different fexes.

If this were different fexes, things would be simpler I think. I could simply add a MAX.STORE NOPRINT and just pass it on, the problem is that we have only one fex, 4 options for region/division because divisions can span regions and regions can span multiple divisions, and 8 options for viewing data from customer, to product line to sales acccount codes...again, all of these options seem to span over each other in such a way that there is no heirarchy to speak of.

I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear when I originally posted this.

Guru
posted Hide Post
You can pass an amper-variable between fexes in drilldowns. It doesn't have to be a field on the report itself. That way you can preserve all the selections that were chosen by the user. I think that is what Tony meant.

(Prod: WebFOCUS 7.7.03: Win 2008 & AIX hub/Servlet Mode; sub: AS/400 JDE; mostly Self Serve; DBs: Oracle, JDE, SQLServer; various output formats)

Posts: 391 | Location: California | Registered: April 14, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
The default setting for WebFOCUS is that &&global variables are saved in a browser cookie. So they will continue to live as long as your browser is open.
It is not always the correct solution to the issue --- but it is available. (Note: This facility can be turned off in the admin console --- IBIF_persistentamp ).

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason,

N.Selph understood what I meant, sorry, but I didn't mean to it be hard to follow.

As Brian says, what used to be "global" variables are now dealt with by using cookies to hold the values. Howvever, as Brian intimates it is not always safe to use these. That is why I always prefer to force the values through on the drilldown column -
TYPE=DATA, FOCEXEC=yourfex.fex(Variable1=&Variable1 Variable2=&Variable2 ....), $

Just because you're passing variable and their values doesn't meant to say that you have to use them (although why you would do this etc. etc.)

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Don't forget, you need to use quotes around alpha variable values:
TYPE=DATA, FOCEXEC=yourfex.fex(Variable1=&Variable1 Variable2='&Variable2' ....), $

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
i think the && variable is what I'm looking for.

You fellas are GREAT!

Expert
posted Hide Post
Buy us a pint?

Francis

Master
posted Hide Post
I agree with Tony A. Always better to pass the variables. Almost all of our reports are structured this way. We have Statewide, Area, County, Supervisor and Worker levels in our reports. As a result, I have 4 & variables for Area, County, Supervisor and Worker. In my launch program, they are initialized to ALL. This way I can use the variables to tell which level be reported. For example, if Area is not ALL but County is ALL, I am at the AREA level and I dynamically adjust the selection and sorting (WHERE and BY clauses). If the user then drills down to a specific county in the Area in focus, I pass the Area and County but the Supervisor and Worker are still ALL.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
jgolena: You're all over it! that's exactly what we do, except we're using the FOC_NONE to our advantage rather than your 'all'... IN FACT, for a few variables (who weren't used int he where clause, but needed to be passed) we had to use a value of 'IGGY' (short for ignore?) because I wasn't sure 'ALL' OR 'IGNORE' weren't reserved words.

It feels good to know that I'm not the only one doing this.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Jason, you are aware that using FOC_NONE as an amper value will make WF ignore the entire line of code?

The entire line will be ignored - you will get all rows:

-SET &COUNTRY = 'FOC_NONE';
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY' AND SEATS EQ 4
END

You will get an error:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY' 
AND SEATS EQ 4
END

You will get cars with 4 seats:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
WHERE COUNTRY EQ '&COUNTRY' 
WHERE SEATS EQ 4
END

Francis