Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] ERROR: THE ON FIELD IS NOT THE FIRST BY FIELD

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] ERROR: THE ON FIELD IS NOT THE FIRST BY FIELD
 Login/Join

posted
I'm trying to resurrect an old burst email procedure from our ReportCaster system. When I test, I keep getting the below message. This burst procedure worked fine before we disabled the job a few months ago. Any insight as to what is causing the error? I have also included the code below the error. Any help ASAP is appreciated!

THE ON FIELD IS NOT THE FIRST BY FIELD
Task error: THE ON FIELD IS NOT THE FIRST BY FIELD
No report to distribute.

SET ASNAMES=ON

TABLE FILE RTCEML
PRINT
EMADDR AS 'DEST'
EMVEND AS 'VALUE'
WHERE EMFILE EQ 'E3PROJ';
WHERE EMADDR EQ 'MYNAME@MYCOMPANY.COM';
ON TABLE SET PAGE-NUM OFF
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE HOLD AS HLDEMAILDIST FORMAT FOCUS
END

TABLE FILE HLDEMAILDIST
PRINT DEST VALUE
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF7.7
WIN 08 SERVER SP2
EXL2K, HTML, PDF

Expert
posted Hide Post
BECKIE,

There's no ON or BY statement, which is used to burst the report. The program creates HOLD files - no report, so there's nothing to burst...

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Beckie
What I see her is just one part of the procedure. The one that generates a dynamical mail list.
You use this against an other or many other reports you want to burst.

Btw the hold file you create does not need to be a focus format file. That is just creating overhead?

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks you guys for the quick response. I guess i should have included that prior to this procedure being run through RC there is a file drop procedure that loops and drops to netwrok drive each file according to account# (which is the burst value matched to email addr) that is picked up to distribute. The file fex runs fine, drops the files then this fex is kicked off thru RC to distribute. Again, this is just a resurrected RC procedure I'm trying to test and reactivate. Was running fine before we disabled. Was thinking maybe someone else had encountered this and it was a bug/glitch? We have upgraded our email server...the ONLY change to our system/server and only change to this RC job was to point to new mail server. Thanks for any guidance!!

WF7.7
WIN 08 SERVER SP2
EXL2K, HTML, PDF

Master
posted Hide Post
Beckie,

You may think this procedure worked in the past but when the WF gods Francis and Frank say it's incomplete and won't work you should listen.

I'm a babe in the woods even after working with Focus/WF for 30 years compared to these guys. But even I can spot a futher issue with your code.
WHERE EMADDR EQ 'MYNAME@MYCOMPANY.COM';

Here you are comparing a variable with a literal - which ain't never gonna result in a TRUE value.

What I think you are looking at is someone's initial attempt to think through the process, rather than the previously working finished product.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone. The old fex ran this morning without a hitch. Apparently it didn't like my test version trying to resolve the email address on just MY email (which was myname@mycompany.com actual names withheld to protect the innocent!). But, the original code did not have just one email address and that particular WHERE statement didn't exist in original fex, obviously. Anyway, all is good and things ran as expected. Thanks again for the guidance! Cheers!

WF7.7
WIN 08 SERVER SP2
EXL2K, HTML, PDF