Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Suppressing *TOTAL in sub total

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Suppressing *TOTAL in sub total
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
When we have a sub total on a particular field the subtotal appears indicated by the word *TOTAL. How do we suppress the word '*TOTAl'. It is required to display the subtotal as 'subtotal' irrespective of the value of the sort by field.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is there an echo in here?

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
SUBTOTAL AS '' will do it.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Code Digger,

Can you please try this:

DEFINE FILE EMPDATA
BLK/A1=' ';
BLK1/A1=' ';
END
TABLE FILE EMPDATA
PRINT SALARY
BY DIV
BY BLK1 AS ''
BY DEPT
BY BLK AS ''
ON BLK SUBTOTAL AS ''
ON BLK1 SUBTOTAL AS ''
-*ON TABLE SET ONLINE-FMT STANDARD
END

Hope this helps. Big Grin

Cheers,

Kerry

Kerry Zhan
Focal Point Moderator
Information Builders, Inc.

Posts: 1948 | Location: New York | Registered: November 16, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
hi Smiler

is there a way to now show the word "TOTAL" at all?

~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI Mode/Self-Serve Apps Only (No App Server)
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/Weblogic 8.1/Servlet Mode

Posts: 74 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD | Registered: August 08, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Interestingly, you can change the word TOTAL to something else, but you can't change it to blank:

Works:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY MODEL
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL AS ''
ON TABLE SUBTOTAL AS '_'
END

Does not work:

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SUBTOTAL AS ''
END

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interestingly, you can change the word TOTAL to something else, but you can't change it to blank:

I would say

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY MODEL
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS ''

this would give a report with a total line without any text as far as I know, or is that not what you are up to?

Frank

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
ON TABLE COLUMN-TOTAL AS ''
does the trick.

Now why wouldn't
quote:
ON TABLE SUBTOTAL AS ''
?

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I think that subtotal is not a option with the "on table" phrase.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY COUNTRY BY MODEL
ON TABLE SUBTOTAL
END
(FOC002) A WORD IS NOT RECOGNIZED: SUBTOTAL

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
i use
ON TABLE SUBTOTAL AS ''

all the time, i'm not sure why it's giving you an error...

~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~||~~~
PROD: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/ISAPI Mode/Self-Serve Apps Only (No App Server)
TEST: WebFOCUS 7.1.3 on Win 2K/IIS 6/Weblogic 8.1/Servlet Mode

Posts: 74 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD | Registered: August 08, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I'm on an old mainframe release 7.11 not to confused with Webfocus. It may be a new feature coming to a future mainframe focus release or worse it could be an "undocumented and unsupported feature" in your release that may go away in a future release that would result in a lot of coding changes. Then it would be called code tightening. I sincerely hope that this is not the case for you as you have it all over the place.

Maybe IBI can say for sure what the case is here.

FOCUS 7.6 MVS PDF,HTML,EXCEL

Posts: 115 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: May 28, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:

Can the value of COUNTRY also be suppressed? The totals are obviously belong to the subgroup and is no need to re-display it on the subtotal line( especially it always left-justified makes it impossible to lineup with the actual column).

Thanks,

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
(Web)Focus will always print the value of the by field when doing a subtotal, as far as I know.
The trick to do what you observed is to have an extra DEFINEd field, called SPACE or something like that, filled with a space. And issuing a BY SPACE NOPRINT immediately following the BY COUNTRY. Then, instead of ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL you say ON SPACE SUBTOTAL.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Tricks, eh? Good enough for me. Thanks lot, Gamp!

Hua

Developer Studio 7.6.11
AS400 - V5R4
HTML,PDF,XLS

Posts: 305 | Location: Winnipeg,MB | Registered: May 12, 2008Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Then you *may* end up with the subtotal line divided into two lines Frowner

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Francis,

This should not divide the Total line into two lines because the DEFINE field SPACE is an A1 which will always be equal to or less than the length of the actual sort field shown, COUNTRY.

GamP,

FYI, I think you know that SPACE is a reserved word in the FOCUS language so that is not a good choice of name for the DEFINE field. Wink I hope all is well with you over there.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post