Focal Point
[CLOSED] HOLD FILE Issue

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/904100384

July 08, 2010, 04:18 AM
Anmol
[CLOSED] HOLD FILE Issue
Hi

I am working on HTML report which has approximately >30000 records with about 15-20 columns.
Issue I am facing is that HOLD file itself is taking about 2 to 3 minutes to be created.
Currently I am using a ref cursor from oracle package to populate HOLD file.

Is there any way that I can avoid using the HOLD File and generate the report?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFocus7.6.2, WebFocus 7.1.1,Windows
HTML, PDF and Excel
July 08, 2010, 06:50 AM
GamP
Handling a hold file of about 30.000 records is not that much and will not be the cause of the delay. In this case I suspect that the delay is within the dbms, which is taking it's time to produce the records. And I would certainly not advise to display an html report of that size. IE will take a *very* long time rendering the report. Firefox may be faster, but still ...
For these kinds of reports I would look into the webviewer, or any other alternate way of presenting.

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988
July 08, 2010, 08:24 AM
Dave
True,

I've got a HOLD file with also about 20 column and 800.000+ rows.
That's not the problem.

Getting the dbms to produce the correct rows to fill up the HOLD is what takes time.

July 08, 2010, 05:28 PM
Dan Pinault
quote:
Originally posted by Anmol:
Currently I am using a ref cursor from oracle package to populate HOLD file.

I don't know Oracle but in my experience with MSSQL the use of cursors REALLY slows things down. Perhaps there is a better method to get the result set you are looking for?

Again, I don't know Oracle but I found that I had to work with the "SET CURSORS" and "SET TRANSACTIONS" statements to improve performance.

Dan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dan Pinault,

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.