Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Removing page and report headers?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Removing page and report headers?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
Is it possible to eliminate the a report header and page header entirely?

I have a very small report (10 lines) that I want to put on my dashboard, but the extra 1/2" or so of blank space at the top takes up more room than we like.

Thank you for your patience with such a simple question, we're still new to Webfocus.

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Jason,

Try adding the following command to your request:

SET PAGE=NOPAGE

This turns off the page numbering and should get rid of the two lines at the top of the report output.

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Idea A little more fiddling with this one and I found the secret combination for eliminating ALL lines at the top of a report. Idea

When GRID is ON in a report, there are no extra lines at the top of the HTML output. However, when GRID is OFF, the setting for PAGE will determine whether there are 3 lines or 1 line at the top of the report. To eliminate ALL lines so that there are 0 (zero) lines above the report with no GRID appearing, you need to combine the GRID and BORDER stylesheet commands in the request. When you combine these two commands in a request, the PAGE setting does not seem to matter.

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
TYPE=REPORT, GRID=ON, BORDER=OFF,$
ENDSTYLE
END

Thanks!

Mickey

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
wow!
Thanks so much!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Expert
posted Hide Post
and there's also
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
which will, in most cases, nuke those two blank lines at the top of a fex, with GRID = OFF, and without having to use HTMLCSS ON.
I use this feature for saving html pages that my dashboard.asp will include via asp !-- #include(s).
Makes them all fit together oh so very nicely.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. A really useful tip from Summit was using CSS to anchor the Titles to the top of your HTML page. This was on a couple of the slides in the ResiliEnt and Intersil joint presentation by Roger Panfil and Robin Nursey - I hope that they do not mind me posting the code here (It should be avaiable when the ppts are posted and some ppt printouts are already held by a lot of Summit attendees).

Basically the idea is to use CSS to reposition the report Titles so that they appear at the top of your page using relative positioning.

The process has the HTMLFORM held in an INCLUDE file but I have merged them here to make it easier to cut and paste into a single fex (for Susannah, Prarie and MickeyG - Fokexec!!) Smiler). I have also added code from the above suggestions so that you can add / remove comments to see the effects etc. as well as subtotals and grandtotal styling.

-* File Resilient_car.fex
-* Example from the ResiliEnt Presentation
-* Summit 2007
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR 
 BY MODEL
ON COUNTRY SUBTOTAL AS 'Total for '
ON TABLE HOLD AS MYREPORT FORMAT HTMTABLE
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE NOLEAD
-*ON TABLE SET GRID ON
-*ON TABLE SET BORDER OFF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, GRID=ON, BORDER=OFF, $
TYPE=REPORT, FONT='ARIAL', SIZE=8, COLOR='BLACK', BACKCOLOR='NONE', $
TYPE=TABHEADING, CLASS=anchor headsty, $
TYPE=TITLE, SIZE=9, COLOR='WHITE', BACKCOLOR='MAROON', STYLE=BOLD, CLASS=anchor titlesty, $
TYPE=SUBTOTAL, COLSPAN=3, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, STYLE=BOLD, BORDER-TOP=LIGHT, BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT, $
TYPE=GRANDTOTAL, COLSPAN=3, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, STYLE=BOLD, BORDER-TOP=LIGHT, BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
-*----------------------------------------
-* Include common FEX file for HTML output
-*----------------------------------------
-*-INCLUDE frozen.fex
-*----------------FROZEN.FEX------------------
-* Present the report output in a HTML page.
-* style sheet freezes titles of the report.
-*------------------------------------------
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-frameset.dtd">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
  .contstyle
  { border:none; height: 500px; 
    overflow: auto;
  }
  .anchor
  { position: relative;
  }
  .titlesty
  { font-size: 8pt;        font-family:arial;
    font-weight:bold;      color: white;
    background-color:maroon; top: -42px;
    display:table-header-group;
    HIDEFOCUS="true";
  }
  .headsty
  { font-size: 9pt;     font-family: arial;
    font-weight: bold;  color: maroon;
    top: -162px;
    display: table-header-group;
  }
</STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<br>
<br>
<div CLASS="contstyle">
!IBI.FIL.MYREPORT;
</div>
</BODY>
</HTML>
-HTMLFORM END
-RUN

There is a problem with this approach though and that is the two blank lines now appear between the Title and the body of the report. You can play with the CSS and issue a similar style to the TYPE=DATA, TYPE=SUBTOTAL and TYPE=GRANDTOTAL as per the TYPE=TITLE but then you can say goodbye to the other styling on that line such as COLSPAN and BORDER-TOP etc. as you would have to include it in your CSS code. Note that there is no equivalent for COLSPAN in CSS to my knowledge.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Taking the example that Tony introduced, it can be made simpler to produce the effect wanted by Jason:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
 BY COUNTRY
 BY CAR
 BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE OFF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
  UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
  TYPE=REPORT, FONT='TAHOMA', SIZE=8, COLOR='BLACK', BACKCOLOR='NONE', $
  TYPE=TITLE, SIZE=9, COLOR='WHITE', BACKCOLOR='MAROON', STYLE=BOLD, $
  TYPE=SUBTOTAL, COLSPAN=3, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, STYLE=BOLD, BORDER-TOP=LIGHT, BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT, $
  TYPE=GRANDTOTAL, COLSPAN=3, JUSTIFY=RIGHT, STYLE=BOLD, BORDER-TOP=LIGHT, BORDER-BOTTOM=LIGHT, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<style type="text/css">
table{position:absolute;top:0;left:0;}
</style>
</head>
<body>
!IBI.FIL.MYREPORT;
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END
-RUN

This code is now also cross-browser compliant, with the correct DOCTYPE declaration (I just hate incorrect DOCTYPES).

Using the position:absolute on a CSS table declaration, allows user to position top and left margins for best effect.

The basic style is unaffected, so looks just as nice, using the WF generated styles.

There is no space at the top or between title and data.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Alan,

Great changes! and it would appear this is exactly what Jason wanted (and many others over the years?).

From the doctype point of view and in my defence (and as I mentioned) the code was directly copied from one of the Summit presentations.

The advantage of this version is, of course, that it transfers equally well to PDF and EXL2K as the HTMTABLE version. Just remember that TAHOMA font is not one of the base fonts in PDF!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
I going to add my adjustment to Alan's code just for fun!

What you can do instead of applying absolute positioning to the TABLE object is to change the margin setting to 0 (zero) for the BODY object and you get the same result. This method is also supported across browsers.

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
BY CAR
BY MODEL
ON TABLE SET HTMLCSS ON
ON TABLE SET PAGE OFF
ON TABLE SET STYLE *
UNITS=IN, SQUEEZE=ON, ORIENTATION=LANDSCAPE, $
TYPE=REPORT, FONT='TAHOMA', SIZE=8, COLOR='BLACK', BACKCOLOR='NONE', $
TYPE=TITLE, SIZE=9, COLOR='WHITE', BACKCOLOR='MAROON', STYLE=BOLD, $
ENDSTYLE
END
-RUN
-HTMLFORM BEGIN
< !DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<html>
<head>
</head>
<body style="margin:0px">
!IBI.FIL.MYREPORT;
</body>
</html>
-HTMLFORM END
-RUN

Thanks!

Mickey

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the new ways to change up a Fokexec. Winky

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hey Prarie, I see you used fokexec instead of folkexec Smiler

Expert
posted Hide Post
I can't see the point of this, would someone find a few moments to explain?

Cheers,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The point Francis is to recover real estate on the report page. Does that help?

T

Expert
posted Hide Post
Tony,

As Mickey stated, "<body style="margin:0px">" does the job with minimal intervention - I just did not understand the need for the CSS in the ResiliEnt Presentation example. Am I missing something?

I added a HEADING and a TABLE HEADING to the example and they were, of course, obscured by the repositioned column titles.

Cheers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In which case, Francis, you adjust the CSS to fit what you want to achieve, which is how you use CSS. If you don't want to use it but leave WF to do its own thing, fine.

What Jason wanted to achieve here was:
quote:

Is it possible to eliminate the a report header and page header entirely?

I have a very small report (10 lines) that I want to put on my dashboard, but the extra 1/2" or so of blank space at the top takes up more room than we like.

Thank you for your patience with such a simple question, we're still new to Webfocus.

Which, I believe, was answered, with CSS, but could not easily be answered with WF.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

The reason I posted the presentation code from ResiliEnt was that I just happened to be going through their presentation handout a short while before I looked at Jason's first question on this and thought that it might provide an alternate method to achieve what he wanted.

As per Forum norm, this method was picked up and played with resulting in a virtual brainstorm of ideas from all over the globe (well Europe and North America anyway Wink). The final couple of possibilities have given ideas to lots of people - no doubt - and it has served a purpose - in my mind the whole point of a Forum such as this.

As for your addition of Heading and Table Heading, of course it would change things, did you not realise that? That's why people such as Mickey and Alan tried going further and producing two very suitable solutions that could be able to deal with changes easily.

As Alan so elequently put it "[the question] was answered, with CSS, but could not easily be answered with WF" - thinking beyond the box!!!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Alan, I think the original issue was taken care of by changing the settings in WF (SET PAGE) to eliminate unnecessary lines above the report results.

The extra space (margins on the HTML BODY object) which your solution eliminates is not a WF issue. This is standard browser behavior to have a default margin, which I would expect to control with CSS and not WF. However, it would be nice to have a WF stylesheet command that did this. It tried TOPMARGIN and LEFTMARGIN but they add style controls to the TABLE object and not to the BODY object when using TYPE=REPORT.

The original question was how to eliminate the report header and page header entirely. Eliminating the margin with CSS is just the icing on the cake to really squeeze every pixel of space out of the browser window.

I think being able to easily integrate CSS into a report from WF is great plus for WF.

Thanks!

Mickey

Expert
posted Hide Post
I meant no offence to anyone here.

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Mickey

The SET PAGE does remove all unnecessary lines, however, the report still has a standard margin all around, which is a browser issue, yes. So if you want a report really tight to the browser, then WF cannot manage that on it's own, you use browser tools, CSS.

Put a heading on, as Francis was doing (and ignoring that the CSS in place overlaid it, which can easily be fixed), WF will always have a large amount of white space above and below, CSS can remove that, WF cannot totally. Again a browser issue, but it effects how the report looks and some may want to change that.

That you can integrate CSS so easily with WF can make a huge difference to the ease of laying out reports for HTML. BUT for PDF and Excel style sheets are the only way to go.

For some/many, CSS can provide an alternate solution, which, totally agreeing with Tony, is what this forum is all about.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Alan,

I definitely agree. With the HTML output format, once you get outside the TABLE object, there is very little, if anything at all, that can be done with WF commands. That's definitely where CSS takes over and does so very well.

Thanks!

Mickey

Master
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for a SET SIMPLE_ANSWERS_FOR_NEWBIES = ON in the focal point settings, but I guess they'll just have to work that into the next release. ;-)

Thanks so much for sharing the abundance of information. More informative than I could have ever imagined.

Gold member
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm only 10 months late to this discussion.

I just wanted to thank the contributors for this information. It was exactly what I needed, when I needed it.

Ahh, the beauty and benefits of Focal Point.

Local: AppStudio 8.2.03 - Win7 - Tomcat Server: WebFOCUS 8.2.03 - Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise on VMWare 2 CPU, 3.2GHz, 4GB of RAM Output Formats: HTML, Excel, PDF, PPT, Active Reports

Posts: 38 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: March 16, 2005Report This Post