Focal Point
Warning EX and EXEC work differently in MRE

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9041031482

May 14, 2008, 01:09 PM
hammo1j
Warning EX and EXEC work differently in MRE
http://documentation.informationbuilders.com/masterinde...39.htm#d05stp1027711

In the above documentation for use of EXEC command to execute a .FEX it states

quote:

Syntax: How to Pass Keyword Parameters
EX[EC] procedurename=value[,...]
EX SLRPT AREA=S,CITY=STAMFORD,VERB=COUNT,
FIELDS=UNIT_SOLD,CODE1=B10,CODE2=B20

This suggests that EX and EXEC are one and the same thing. However examining the effect under MRE I have discovered

EX FEXNAME works like

-INCLUDE FEXNAME

In that it tries to resolve the reference to FEXNAME with the MRE domain and then it will pass both files (the caller and executed fex) to the server for execution.

EXEC FEXNAME is analogous to

-MRENOEDIT BEGIN
-INCLUDE FEXNAME
-MRENOEDIT END

In that FEXNAME is resolved on the SERVER and must exist within the application path.

IBI docs team it would be worthwhile updating the documentation as this is a reasonably important distinction and can be very confusing!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
May 21, 2008, 04:49 PM
Susan Trommer
Thank you for catching and letting us know. I have informed the WebFOCUS documentation services manager so the correction will be made.
This information is documented in the Managed Reporting Developer Guides. In Rel 761 manual it is in Chapter 2 on pg. 77. Actual doc is:

–INCLUDE and EX statements coded in a procedure are processed by the WebFOCUS Client,
which looks for the procedure in the Managed Reporting repository. Procedures that are
referenced with an EXEC statement are not processed by the WebFOCUS Client, they are
only passed to the WebFOCUS Reporting Server for processing therefore these procedures
are not looked for in the Managed Reporting repository.
Thanks again...

Susan Trommer
Information Builders
May 21, 2008, 06:23 PM
Rob Bowen
I'ts been like this since I first started working with WebFOCUS 3.5. I seem to recall I first found out about the EXEC from the manual back then (before I knew about -MRNOEDIT).

WebFOCUS 8.1.04; SQL Server 2012; Windows 7; Windows Server 2012 R2;
May 22, 2008, 05:26 AM
hammo1j
Thanks very much, Susan, for showing you care about us users!

Server: WF 7.6.2 ( BID/Rcaster) Platform: W2003Server/IIS6/Tomcat/SQL Server repository Adapters: SQL Server 2000/Oracle 9.2
Desktop: Dev Studio 765/XP/Office 2003 Applications: IFS/Jobscope/Maximo
May 28, 2008, 09:02 AM
JoJo
The Developing Reporting Applications manual was updated (in two Syntax topics where EX[EC]
is used) with the following note:
Note: When EXEC is used in Managed Reporting, it is important to note that there is a difference between EX and EXEC. EX statements coded in a procedure are processed by the WebFOCUS Client, which looks for the procedure in the Managed Reporting repository. Procedures that are referenced with an EXEC statement are not processed by the WebFOCUS Client, they are only passed to the WebFOCUS Reporting Server for processing, and these procedures are not looked for in the Managed Reporting repository.

We also added a Note to the other
WebFOCUS manual locations where EX[EC] is documented.

Thanks for the feedback.
May 28, 2008, 11:37 AM
susannah
Thank you JoJo
but what is needed, as always, is an EXAMPLE of the coding differences, in use. The impact.
As John has given us. (Thanks John.)
Otherwise the distinction just melds into the gibberish.
Whats significant to the coder may not be where they execute, but that one is self contained and one is not, having impact on use of statement labels, &vars, etc, between host fex and guest fex.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID