Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [NFR Opened] ReportCaster Dynamic Filenames for IA-users

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[NFR Opened] ReportCaster Dynamic Filenames for IA-users
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hi,

Several posts exist already explaining how to use dynamic distribution files to generate reportnames with today's date included.
Considering almost all our users are IA-users (with little to no knowledge about WF-language), I however need a generic way for them to add _YYYYMMDD to the filename.
I thought I could do this by creating a general dynamic distribution fex as such:
  TABLE FILE CAR
  PRINT COMPUTE DEST/A50='&FOCFOCEXEC' | '_' | '&YYMD' | '.xls';
  BY CAR NOPRINT
  WHERE RECORDLIMIT EQ 1
  ON TABLE PCHOLD
  END

This way, users could alway choose the same 'schedule_excel_by_date.fex' dyn. distr. list without worrying about how this is implemented.
It appears however neither &FOCFOCEXEC nor &FOCFEXNAME contains the calling fexname.

Is anyone aware of a way to retrieve the (calling) reportname within a dynamic distribution list?
(or another way to accomplish this way of working)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Peter,

Prod: WebFOCUS 8.0.06 on Win2008/Tomcat7/LDAP Mode
Test: WebFOCUS 8.0.06 on Win2008/Tomcat7/LDAP Mode

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We are on 7.6.11 and I'm not sure how much Report Caster has changed in 8.0.2 but my answers may still apply...

If &FOCFOCFEX/etc held a value it would be the name of the Dynamic Distro fex. The Dynamic Distro method has it's own process and does not "See" the main calling report fex (and vice versa). So you cannot pass any local/global run time varliables, either.

The good news is if you are using Email distribution, the name found in the "Save Report As" text box will be the attachment filename. Your dynamic distro fex can still be used to append the date/time.

Unfortunately for FTP, the filename given in the "Save Report As" text box won't be appended to but, is overridden by the value used in the dynamic distro fex.

If anyone knows of changes in 77 or 80, let us know.

David

In FOCUS since 1985 - WF 8.009/8.104 Win 8 Outputs: ALL of 'em! Adapters: Sql Server Teradata Oracle

Posts: 161 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: February 20, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Noting is available for that at this time.

However, if you open a New Feature Request (NFR), IB just might do it.

BTW: I think that it would be a great feature.

In FOCUS Since 1983 ~ from FOCUS to WebFOCUS.
   Current: WebFOCUS Administrator at FIS Worldpay | 8204, 8206

Posts: 3132 | Location: Tennessee, Nashville area | Registered: February 23, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
@DavSmith & @Doug: you've confirmed my fears, no current solution for FTP...

--> NFR opened

Prod: WebFOCUS 8.0.06 on Win2008/Tomcat7/LDAP Mode
Test: WebFOCUS 8.0.06 on Win2008/Tomcat7/LDAP Mode

posted Hide Post
Hi, Peter - I was wondering if your NFR was completed. We have this very same issue, and I thought for sure I saw at Summit this year it was going to be in 8.1. But I can't remember for sure. I'd like to tell my customers with confidence that it will be coming in the next major release.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Matt Young,

Client Server: 8.0.08 83 Reporting Server: 8.0.08M 159 Adapter: ODBC

Posts: 2 | Location: Michigan, US | Registered: February 01, 2013Report This Post