Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] Upgrade experience (7.6.8 --> 7.6.11) WF Server/Client

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] Upgrade experience (7.6.8 --> 7.6.11) WF Server/Client
 Login/Join

Master
posted
I thought I'd share my experiences after upgrading WF Server/Client from 7.6.8 to 7.6.11. I performed a standard upgrade on the Dev server using WF Server. Everything went really smoothly and I had no issues. I just followed the prompts, hitting 'Next' 4 times or so, and whammo -- done. The client went pretty smoothly too. I accepted the default directories and other defaults and everything seemed to go good (sort of). Before the files were installed, I got a popup saying that dependant services were being shut down (this should have been Tomcat, the WF Server (LDAP), and Dist Server processes). The files were installed as normal. At the end, I got an error message about the Distribution Server (i.e. Report Caster) not being started up appropriately. I clicked Next and completed the install by visiting the Server Admin page and locking in the settings. From the same interface, I tried to do the 'ReportCaster' options (test, configure, etc) and always received an error message regarding the Dist Server not communicating. The server was rebooted, Tomcat cache cleared, services restarted many times -- no resolution. I re-upgraded an additional 2 times with the same experience. The Dist Server console window indicated the server was up and running. The log files, trace files, etc seemed to indicate something was wrong with the SQL Server JDBC driver (the backend did not migrate, it remained consistant). The driver did not change, it remained in the same path, file last updated in 2007.

At IBI's suggestion, I downloaded DB Visualizer (www.dbvis.com -- free). I copied over the driver from the server and used it to connect to my SQL Server backend. A message indicated the driver may be corrupted. I reinstalled the sqljdbc.jar driver from MS's site and was able to connect with dbVis and copied it over to the server and was able to perform some of the table create/drop tests with the standalone tool (was not able to before). Problem 1 solved

I began to write up an error document for the IBI case assignee to take to the RC product division. To do so, I began my 4th upgrade. This time, for some reason, I manually shutdown the Dist Server and WF Server listeners (both running as command line scripts -- NOT services) right after the 'shutting down dependant services' but before the files were installing. To my shear amazement, the error I was getting ready to take a screenshot of to include in the case doc didn't appear. Everything completed w/o error. I finalized the settings and such in the WF Admin screen and my ReportCaster tests worked. Problem 2 solved

While this sounds very obvious now, it didn't at the time. I even upgraded while screensharing with the Case assignee and neither of us caught it. I took the 'shutting down dependent services' message at face value and assumed it meant all dependent "things". No, it actually meant services. Just like it said in the prompt, dummy. ;-) When running Dist Server in command line mode, it doesn't actually get shutdown. The WF server was shut down because I'm superstitious.

Hope this helps someone else.

-ABT

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

------------------------------------
WF Environment:
Server/Client, ReportCaster, Dev Studio: 7.6.11
Resource Analyzer, Resource Governor, Library, Maintain, InfoAssist
Application/Web Server: Tomcat 5.5.25
Java: JDK 1.6.0_03
Authentication: LDAP, MRREALM Driver
Output: PDF, EXL2K, HTM

Databases:
Oracle 10g
DB2 (AS/400)
MSSQL Server 2005
Access/FoxPro

Posts: 561 | Registered: February 03, 2010Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Good info, ABT.

I'm sadly still far from an upgrade but it's always good to keep in mind those things that don't work so we know how to avoid them and most importantly those that DO work so we can make the experience as smooth as possible. Thanks very much for sharing!

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.