Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] What is the Best Practice for porting HTML code between Content Folders??

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] What is the Best Practice for porting HTML code between Content Folders??
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
In WF8..is the best practice for developing HTML forms in the contents area to have mirrored images of the environments, so that as the code can be seemlessly ported from one environment to another without making changes?

I have a development machine w/ 2 folders in the contents area:
a. one is a TEST folder (which points to dev data)
b. one is a PROD folder which mirrors the production machine (and which points to prod data)
I have a production machien w/ 1 PROD folder in the contents area..(and which points to prod data)

The implication of my setup is that as I develop the forms (with references to external procedures to populate dropdown values etc), I can not easily port code from one folder to another because the references to those fexes are hard coded in the xmlroot structure (just like they were in previous releases of WF)...and they cannot be changed w/out putting the code in the new folder, opening it up..and changing the refernces.

Here is an example of the HTML code for requestid "get_divisions". Please note the hard coded TEST refernce in the ibif_ex:

When this code is ported to another directory on another machine (lets say PROD), the form will fail because TEST doesn't exist. Even if it did exist, it may not be my intention for the TEST/get_divisions.fex to be refernces vs a PROD/get_divisions.fex

(I was able to get around this is previous releases by tweeking the HTML code to refernce an Amper variable for those values..but that's no longer the case since the HTML code is not editable directly anylonger)

From a developer's perspective, all this makes it a challenge to create portable code..code that can be migrated up and down the migration path w/ a minimum of changes. It has to be changed as migrated up..and it has to be changed if migrated back to development for fixes/changes.

My guess is that, based upon a post by Sandy Kadish, that the 'best practice' is to have numerous mirrored images of each other..so that the code ports from one to the other instance.

Am I missing something simple here?..something which would allow the code to be portable w/ a minimum of efforts/tweeks?

Thanks in advance.

Wm

This message has been edited. Last edited by: W Kassebaum,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 30 | Location: Living in Charlotte, working all over | Registered: July 13, 2015Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
here is that reference:
request requestid="get_areasdetail" sourcetype="typeFex" ibif_ex="/WFC/Repository/TEST/get_areasdetail.fex" ibiapp_app="" activeType="-1" activereport="0" compoundreport="0"/

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 30 | Location: Living in Charlotte, working all over | Registered: July 13, 2015Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I'd say the complication is that you have two "pseudo" environments on your Dev machine.

We work with four environments (Dev, QA, UAT, Prod) without any issues. The environment is not part of any path, so, all paths resolve in all environments.

I'd eliminate the TEST/PROD folder from your Dev machine. If you really need two environments before you deploy to prod, I would suggest having two installations on your Dev machine, and still NOT have the environment as a folder.

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks Francis,
So..to make sure I understand you correctly.

1. You have these 4, indepent, mirrored environments, each with the "same folder structure under the content area" and same app structure on the reporting server...

These environments can be on 4 different machines..or..you have multiple clients on each machine..

Regardless, they all have the same 'folder structure'...right?

2. Because each of these folder structures are 'the same'..when you create something one one folder..the references remain intact as the code migrated from DEV to QA to UAT to PROD.... right?

3. So.. you don't have to change any IBFS refernces for common code referenes inside the code..right?

4. Your firm purchased 4 licenses...right, one each fro DEV/TEST/UAT/PROD...rigth?

Overall, I understand and agree w/ what you are recommending.

Unfortunately, we only have 2 licenses, one for Dev/UAT and one for PROD. I do not believe we can install 2 clients on 1 machine and stay within the license agreement.

As an aside, I've opened case # 30183532 for a NFR which would create a 'Porting Wizard' to allow code to be ported from one folder to another (on the same machine) and which would handle this resource reference auto-magically.

thanks again for your insights.

Wm

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Expert
posted Hide Post
1) Yes, we have four separate machines. The folder structure is the same on all four machines.
2) The references do not have to be modified, because the folder structure is the same on all four machines.
3) No changes are made.
4) Yes, we have four licences.

Unfortunately, I cannot think of an easy method to solving your problem. Hopefully someone else will pipe in soon, perhaps from Australia...

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:

As an aside, I've opened case # 30183532 for a NFR which would create a 'Porting Wizard' to allow code to be ported from one folder to another (on the same machine) and which would handle this resource reference auto-magically.

Good NFR but indeed - our setup is similar to Francis - but we have only 2 mirrored enviroments. Dev(Test) and Production.

There is no other way to do it, as parameters in "INCLUDE" names are not allowed and same with the HTML-s if you reference some fex.

Regards,

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Expert
posted Hide Post
Is it possible IBI will allow a second instance of WF on the same box, for testing purposes?

Francis

Silver Member
posted Hide Post
no...a licence is needed for each installation.

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Would setting up a common folder name work ? Are you just using the prod folder on your dev machine to allow the code to be tested against production data ? If so could you just make which data set you want to use a selectable variable. So same code but going against a different data source ?

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post