Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Tree view in app studio (beginner question)

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Tree view in app studio (beginner question)
 Login/Join

posted
Dear WF Community

I’m sorry for this kind of noob question!

As you noticed, I'm pretty new to Webfocus and all the stuff behind the scene. Coming from a strong Java EE background (and other programming and tech skills) it’s not that hard to adapt all technical details in WF.
But, what I'm still struggeling and confuses me in the app developer studio is the tree view on the left side:

- Content (Remote repository)
- Data Servers (Reporting Servers)
- Projects
- Web Applications

I read the docs and watched movies: More or less all what I can find about that topic, but it’s still not clear to me. A lot of questions went through my mind when reading the docs/watching the videos and my self training experiments:

- Where do I realy put my html, fex, css, etc. file to?
- How can I deploy a local project from the project folder to the server?
- What’s the different between content and data servers? And in which situation do I put somehting in a data server and when in the remot repository (content)?
- Is web applications just a view of the content in data servers?
- Is the conent store (remote repository)
- Is there a possibility to create a “project” like zip file. I mean a file that holds all my relevant files for a project togehter?

It would be nice if you can explain me the layers in app studio a little bit nearer (beside the official documentation). I appreshiate your help and thank you for your clarficiation.

Best regards
Matt

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

WebFOCUS 8
Windows, All Outputs

Posts: 26 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: August 17, 2016Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Matt,

this how I handle your questions...

- I put all of my HTML and Fex's in the Content area.

Historically I've always put my CSS and JS under Web Applications. This is an unprotected area and available outside the WebFOCUS security I believe. I think IBI is moving towards all of those things being in the content area and those of us that use the Web Applications area for these things are frustrated by the tool copying those files into the content area. My suggestion is probably to create a folder in the Content Area that have universal access to all groups. You can always update security as needed, but I feel that this is the design that IBI is driving towards.

- I don't develop anything locally. I do all my development on the server so I can't help with how to deploy projects from local to server

- Your data server is your connection to the Database. This is your reporting server. I only store Master Files on there. I have the occasional Fex that I'll create. But those are limited to MFD Profiles, Site Profiles, and things generally used for security. In my opinion the security available from a reporting perspective is extremely outdated and its much better to put any content you create for consumption in the Content Area.

- Web Applications is a view of the apps folder in on the client server. It gets served by Tomcat (Or whatever webserver you are using)

- The content store now resides in your database. It shares the database with your security rules and reportcaster jobs. In version 7.x and before it was a collection of folders, fex's, and htm files. This has all been updated with 8.x to be a part of the security database.

- I'm not sure what you mean by a "Zip" file. You have the ability by accessing WebFOCUS from localhost (for local projects) and creating an export package. You could then navigate to the cm folder in your WebFOCUS directory and zip it up if desired. I'm not sure what you would be trying to accomplish, unless you are just talking about being able to import/export your work to the next environment.

I hope this helps a bit

Eric Woerle
8.1.05M Gen 913- Reporting Server Unix
8.1.05 Client Unix
Oracle 11.2.0.2

Posts: 750 | Location: Warrenville, IL | Registered: January 08, 2013Report This Post