Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED]Bursting with multiple email reports

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED]Bursting with multiple email reports
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
Hello,

I have a report that I burst and send out to multiple email addresses. The issue is the reports need to be distributed individually and not combined reports to the same email recipient. Is this possible?

I appreciate any help.

Winnie

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Emily McAllister>,

Winnie

Webfocus 7.7.3

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You'll have to create a distribution list. Each recipient is assigned the unique value of the left most sort field. Search for BURST in http://infocenter.informationb...om/wf81rel/index.jsp. Everything you need to burst content is documented there.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
I do have a dynamic email list that I'm calling on the RC job, in place of distribution list, because the email recipients are always changing. How does that work with distribution list?

Winnie

Webfocus 7.7.3

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
That's also documented. It works very well.
Example: Creating a Dynamic Distribution List

The following is a sample Master File for email distribution information located in a text file.

FILE=MYADDR,SUFFIX=FIX
SEGNAME=SEG01,SEGTYPE=S02
FIELDNAME=BURST_VALUE,BURST,A50,A50,$
FIELDNAME=EMAIL_ADDRESS,EMAIL,A40,A40,$

The following is a sample procedure for bursting. The column names and the order in which they are returned must be 'VALUE' and then 'DEST'.

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE MYADDR
PRINT BURST_VALUE AS 'VALUE'
EMAIL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

The following is a sample procedure for non-bursting. In this case, the 'VALUE' column does not need to be provided since a burst value is not required.

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE MYADDR
PRINT EMAIL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

Note: If the column names are not VALUE and DEST in the Master File, you must add a SET ASNAMES=ON qualifier before the TABLE FILE statement in the procedure.

The following is an example of how you can implement password protection of zipped distribution. The following Master File contains a password for zipped distribution.

FILE=MYADDR,SUFFIX=FIX
SEGNAME=SEG01,SEGTYPE=S02
FIELDNAME=BURST_VALUE,BURST,A50,A50,$
FIELDNAME=EMAIL_ADDRESS,EMAIL,A40,A40,$
FIELDNAME=PASSWORD,PWD,A12,A12,$

The following sample procedure includes a password column along with the destination and burst value columns.

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE MYADDR
EMAIL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
PASSWORD AS 'PASS'
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I am using the code that you provided from the info you posted...

The following is a sample procedure for bursting. The column names and the order in which they are returned must be 'VALUE' and then 'DEST'.

SET ASNAMES=ON
TABLE FILE MYADDR
EMAIL_ADDRESS AS 'DEST'
ON TABLE PCHOLD
END

Here's what I have for my code for the dynamic email addresses.

ENGINE SQLSYB SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION SYBASE
APP HOLD SYBASE

SQL SQLSYB
EX mastersys..GetTop20CustDistEmailWF;
TABLE FILE SQLOUT
PRINT *
ON TABLE HOLD AS TESTCOMMITMENTCOMPEMAIL
END

TABLE FILE TESTCOMMITMENTCOMPEMAIL
PRINT
emailAddress AS 'DEST'
shipperGroup AS 'VALUE'
ON TABLE NOTOTAL
ON TABLE HOLD AS TESTCOMMITMENTCOMPEMAIL FORMAT FOCUS
END

What happens here is that the report gets broken down into different sections as expected. Different shipper groups are broken into different reports, but these reports can have one email address assigned. I want each shipper group report to send individually to the same email recipient. Example:

Shipper Group Email Address
3M ABC@email.com
ANHEUSER BUSCH ABC@email.com
TRANSPLACE ABC@email.com

In my example above, instead of all 3 reports in one email, I would like 3 emails of each report to the same email recipient. The issue is one email recipient can have a hundred attachments and it's potentially difficult to look for certain reports that need to be sent out individually.

Hope this makes sense. I've been researching in Focal Point and the link you sent, but there's no in depth information.

Thanks!

Winnie

Webfocus 7.7.3

<Emily McAllister>
posted
Hi Winnie,

In this situation, I would think it would be easiest to set up multiple RC jobs, one for each report. Is there a reason that would not work?

Emily McAllister
Focal Point Moderator

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Emily. Creating multiple RC jobs for each report is one thing we are trying to avoid. We have so many reports to maintain and creating more RC jobs is not an option right now.

Winnie

Webfocus 7.7.3

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Look for a table-driven solution.

See whether you can rig the RC job to use a counter, and run (rescheduling itself) multiple times, each time bumping a counter (stored in a file) and running the fex corresponding to the current counter value.

Thus there is just a single RC registered job to maintain, but the series of reports will be distributed by separate runs of the job, and will attach only one report to each email.

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post