Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SHARING] What's the difference between EQ and IS?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SHARING] What's the difference between EQ and IS?
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Can anyone tell me what the differenceis between uing EQ and using IS in a FEX?

Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
none

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi,

How can it be? There should be a reason!!!

Regards.

WebFocus 7.6.5
AND WebLogic server as web server
sql2005 as database server

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of mysteries in WebFOCUS code.

Using Operators in Record Selection Tests

What about this little tidbit: "WRITE and ADD are synonyms of SUM and can be substituted for it"?

Using Display Commands in a Request

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Another such 'mystery' is that you can add an 'S' to any fieldname in your table request and the code will still run fine.
TABLE FILE CAR PRINT CAR is the same as TABLE FILE CAR PRINT CARS ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
This one I didn't know!

I have never appreciated being able to do this:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
F L A RE
END

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Who remembers LET?

LET TFC = TABLE FILE CAR PRINT F L A RE
TFC
END

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I recently posted a smart@$$ answer to a LET question:

LET KINKS = CAR
LET STONES = FILE
LET ANIMALS = *
LET BEATLES = TABLE
LET HOLLIES = END
LET SHADOWS = PRINT

BEATLES STONES KINKS
SHADOWS ANIMALS
HOLLIES

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
You're showing your age now Francis Wink

T

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
I know, I shouldn't have mentioned The Shadows!

Francis

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You know there has been some good music since the 60's Wink

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, I love TV On The Radio.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
i'm now tempted to write a function for my edasprof, next to my LETs , called
GOBBLEUP
and another one called SPITITOUT
wait that's more than 8 characters
how about
SPITITUP
blech
just to train the truly gullible ....
today this consultant who just got the axe from IB actually asked me how to concatenate strings , and as if that weren't bad enough, What manual, and Where could he find one?

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Susannah,

That's really sad. Frowner I used to work for IB and I can assure you I know where all the manuals are and I read them regularly.

quote:
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT
F L A RE
END

For those who don't know what Francis was doing here, he was using what is called the 'shortest unique truncation'. This is great for minimalists and those that don't like to type. Cool

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
shortest unique truncation

Thanks for giving it a name!

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis isn't showing his age by mentioning all those groups. He's showing good musical taste and the wisdom to know great music from mediocre music.

Glenda

In FOCUS Since 1990
Production 8.2 Windows

Posts: 301 | Location: Galveston, Texas | Registered: July 07, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
i second that!

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
To get back to the original topic Wink - the difference used to be in what SQL was generated - in my experience anyway!

Consider the two pieces of code -

SUM CNT.fieldname

WRITE CNT.fieldname

Now the more experienced among us would say that they should produce the same results, and I would agree. But the devil is in the detail and it is how the results are retrieved that differed.

The first one (certainly used to against DB2 on OS390) extracted all the records from the SQL source and then let FOCUS do the counting. Double handling of the data and costly in I/O terms. The SQL that was produced (circa 1994) was SELECT * FROM ..... and the count was achieved in FOCUS.

The second one (same as previous comment) would produce the SQL SELECT COUNT(*) FROM ..... - getting the SQL to do all the counting work, single handling of data etc. etc. etc.

So my answer would be that if you are reporting against an SQL source then trap the SQL and see if there is a difference. Chances are that since 1994 (cough) the back end would most certainly have improved the interpretation of FOCUS to SQL and maybe now there is no difference other than keystrokes, however we all know that to have truely backward compatibility legacy syntax must be retained.

How close I am to the view of IB only the Product Managers will be able to confirm (I know that at least two of them are from that time Razzer).

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
For that matter, ADD is (still) a valid synonym of WRITE:

TABLE FILE CAR
ADD SEATS LENGTHS HEIGHTS
BY COUNTRY
END

(Where's my TTY?)

Posts: 1925 | Location: NYC | In FOCUS since 1983 | Registered: January 11, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
DB2 v9 on AIX, WF v7.6.5.

Both SUM and WRITE produce the same SQL:

SELECT T1.TIME_DIM_KEY, COUNT(T1.PERIOD_END_DT)
FROM TIMED T1
GROUP BY T1.TIME_DIM_KEY
ORDER BY T1.TIME_DIM_KEY
FOR FETCH ONLY;

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Francis,

I guessed that it would which is why I mentioned DB2 on OS390 circa 1994!

T

In FOCUS
since 1986

Expert
posted Hide Post
Yes, I've gathered that they've cleaned things up since 1994 Smiler

Francis