Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Chaining Between Pages

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Chaining Between Pages
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
Is there a way we could pass on values between TWO HTML pages and the chaining?

Say I have a COUNTRY List box in One HTML page. Selecting the country value and click on submit should go to another page, where I need to have a List box of CARS according to the selection Country in the pevious page.

I tried Like this... Tried to set a Hidden variable for country and Populate the CAR list box using populateDynamicCtrl... But thats not working...

My car.fex

TABLE FILE CAR
BY CAR
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &COU
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT XML
END 

My HTML

<HTML>
<HEAD CONTENT="NOCACHE" HTTP-EQUIV="PRAGMA" META>
<TITLE>HtmlPage
</TITLE>
<BASE href=HTTP://localhost:8080>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
function window_onload() {
  var ctrl = document.getElementById("listbox1");
  document.form.COU.value='ENGLAND';
  populateDynamicCtrl(ctrl);

UpdateData();
}

</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<META content="MSHTML 6.00.6000.17093" name=GENERATOR>
<FORM name=form action=/ibi_apps/WFServlet method=post>
<SELECT id=listbox1 style="Z-INDEX: 1; LEFT: 110px; WIDTH: 310px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 170px" tabIndex=1 size=3 name=listbox1 datasource="car.fex" displayfield datafield datatype="1" sourcetype="typeFex" ibic_server ibiapp_app="SESSION baseapp">
</SELECT> 
<INPUT id=inputhidden type=hidden value=ENGLAND name=COU>
</FORM>

</HTML> 

How can this be done?

Anyone could point me where I am going wrong?

Thanks in adavance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows
HTML/PDF/EXCEL/AHTML/XML/HTML5

Posts: 394 | Location: Chennai | Registered: December 02, 2009Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Any Idea of How we could Go about this ?

I could not find enough documentation as well...

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I have come across a similar kind of post, i think it may be useful for you!

Chaining Between Pages

WebFOCUS 7.6.4, Mainframe Focus
Windows XP, All Output Formats

Posts: 135 | Registered: November 30, 2010Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
HI Vinay,

Thanks for the Reply. That tells us How to pass values betwwn pages.

But it is not possible for us to Inject the value into the Fex that generates the XML to populate the List box.

The value is being passed... But the List box doesnt fetch the corresponding values according to the paramter passed from the first page...

Is there a way to do this ???

Any help - Thanks in advance...

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Any Idea of how to go about this ?

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Ramkumar,

You may want to do the following:

Create your second page with 2 objects. The one coming from the first page (hidden) and the one you want to popluate. They would be chanined. You could then call the second page with a parameter and then select the value from the first parameter.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Fernando,

Thank you for the reply. I tried to chain a Hidden variable with value ENGLAND to My car List box. But It is not working properly.

If you have any little sample code, that would be much helpful.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi, Any way we could resolve this ?

Is it possible to pass a Value into the FEX(where clause) that generates the XML for the input element?

The value will be coming from the previous page, and is available in a Hidden variable or a !IBI.AMP.Variable

Hi Tony, Is there a way to do this ???

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Problem is that you cn only chain dynamic oobjects. First try and create the second screen without the first object being hidden and test that it works, chain and all. Next create the javascript to change your first object based on a parameter to the page, keeping the first object visible. Lastly hide your first object.

Fernando

Prod WF 8.1.04, QA WF 8.2.03, Dev WF 8.2.03

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The approach I would use is to set a cookie on the first HTML page with the value you want and use GETCOOKI to retrieve the value in the FEX on the second page.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

Currently there is no issues in passing the values from one page to FEX or other page. The value is available in the IBI.AMP variable. But It is not possible to Inject the value into the WHERE clause of the FEX that is associated with the List box... Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ramkumar

In your car.fex:
TABLE FILE CAR
BY CAR
WHERE COUNTRY EQ &COU
END 

I believed you were saying that &COU was not being evaluated as it was called from a second page.

What I think is that creating a cookie in the first page , opening the second page and using the GETCOOKI function in the fex should allow the value to be transferred, page to page and into the fex.

This is a technique I have used before.

Alan.
WF 7.705/8.007

Posts: 1451 | Location: Portugal | Registered: February 07, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
That is not actually correct. Starting in release 769, you can chain statically populated controls. You need to create the mapping of values in the Properties and Settings dialog though for all possibilities.

Also, you can pass a value from one page to another by populating the parameter on page 1 and then when you set up the hyperlink to call page 2, HTML Composer will parse page 2 for unresolved variables, and if you don't create a control for them, they are passed from page 1 to page 2. You can even select the "Additional Parameters" button at the bottom of the hyperlink dialog to see the parameter list of parameters created in HTML Composer and double-click those you want to send with the hyperlink to page 2.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Expert
posted Hide Post
Ooh boy! I'd love to see a working example of this - based on past experience, it all sounds too good to be true.

It would be nice for Information Builders to provide a library of examples, every new sub-release adds new features that sound amazing but end up difficult or impossible in implementing.

Thank you very much,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis,

Page 235 of the 7702 HTML Composer manual explains how to pass parameters from one page to another.

I can give you an example of static value chaining and of passing a parameter from one page to another, however, I don't believe Focal Point accepts uploaded files. Would you want the code for the pages just displayed here, or shall I send them to you through normal email attachments - I'll need your email address to send them if you prefer that method.

David Glick
Director WebFOCUS App Studio
and WebFOCUS Developer Studio
WebFOCUS Division
Information Builders, Inc.
Direct (917) 339-5560
Voice Mail (212) 736-6250 x3560
Fax (212) 947-5168
Email david_glick@ibi.com

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi David,
Could you please send me the example code or the manual at ram.jesura@gmail.com.

That will really be helpful.

Thank you.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believed you were saying that &COU was not being evaluated as it was called from a second page.

What I think is that creating a cookie in the first page , opening the second page and using the GETCOOKI function in the fex should allow the value to be transferred, page to page and into the fex.

This is a technique I have used before.

Hi Alan,

Thank you very much for your reply.
Could you please share a sample piece of code if you have any?

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
I achieved this through cookies... But not between different pages... But in the Same Page.

Different pages, still the value coming from the cookie is not injected into the FEX that generates the XML for the List Box.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows

Guru
posted Hide Post
Here is an example created in 7.6.10 where a value from a previously selected list is passed to a 'downstream' list in the chain and then is used in the where clause of the 'downstream' list.
As of 7.6.9 you can manually enter the value in the 'Resolves Parameter' box and this allows you to determine what variable is populated by the previously selected item.

<!-- Generated by Report Layout Painter v7.6.10 -->

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<META id=mycharsetmeta content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META id=Generation content="Gen 3.0">
<SCRIPT id=IBI_RelCallBack type=text/javascript>function AdjustChildrenPosition(){
}
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_OptionsScript type=text/javascript>
var cgipath = "cgipath";
var ibirls = "ibirls3";

var rltdyncalendar = "rltdyncalendar";
var gmap = "ibigmap";
var olap="olap";
var olappanebase="olappanebase";
var olapdrill="olapdrill";

var ibixmltree="ibixmltree";

var ibiOptions = new Array(cgipath,ibirls);
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nls type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nls.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_nlsVars type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/nlsvars.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigbl type=text/javascript src="/ibi_html/javaassist/ibi/html/js/ibigbl.js"></SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT id=IBI_ibigblloadCss type=text/javascript>
ibigblloadCss(null);
addIntlTranslatedJS("composertrans.js");
</SCRIPT>
<TITLE>HtmlPage</TITLE>
<SCRIPT id=clientEventHandlersJS type=text/javascript>
//Begin function window_onload
function window_onload() {

UpdateData();

// TODO: Add your event handler code here
//add onInitialUpdate() function to make changes before initial run of the reports
}
//End function window_onload
</SCRIPT>

<SCRIPT for=window type=text/javascript eventname="onload">window.onload = function() { window_onload(); }</SCRIPT>

<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.7600.16700"></HEAD>
<BODY style="OVERFLOW: auto" edaconnectionrequired="true" elementtype="21" nextelementuniquenumber="7" persistentuniqueid="compUid_1">
<SELECT style="Z-INDEX: 1; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 200px; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 20px" id=listbox1 tabIndex=1 size=3 persistentuniqueid="compUid_2" name="listbox1"> 
<OPTION value=PERSINFO displaytext="PERSINFO">PERSINFO</OPTION>
<OPTION selected value=VIDEOTRK displaytext="VIDEOTRK">VIDEOTRK</OPTION></SELECT> 
<SELECT style="Z-INDEX: 2; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 200px; HEIGHT: 400px; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 470px" id=listbox2 tabIndex=2 size=20 persistentuniqueid="compUid_3" name="listbox2"></SELECT>   
<SELECT style="Z-INDEX: 3; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 200px; HEIGHT: 400px; TOP: 30px; LEFT: 680px" id=listbox3 tabIndex=3 size=3 persistentuniqueid="compUid_6" name="listbox3"></SELECT> 
<SPAN style="Z-INDEX: 4; POSITION: absolute; WIDTH: 220px; HEIGHT: 160px; TOP: 40px; LEFT: 230px" id=radio1 tabIndex=4 contentEditable=false elementtype="12" persistentuniqueid="compUid_7" groupChildren="1" columns="1" name="radio1"></SPAN>
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=layoutinfo type=hidden>
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibiapp_app value=test type=hidden name="ibiapp_app">
<INPUT style="POSITION: absolute; TOP: -100px; LEFT: -100px" id=ibic_server value=EDASERVE type=hidden isdataserversarea="1" name="ibic_server">
<xml id=focus_xmlelement>
<script type="text/xml">

<rootxmlnode top="20" left="1157" width="150" height="130">

<variables>

<variable controltype="7" name="FLDTYPE" parametercreatedinreslay="1" top="99" left="153" width="60" height="20" inbinding="1">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_7">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="4" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info ibiformat="A10V"></data_info></condition></link></variable></variables>

<input_controls>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_2" elementtype="9" name="listbox1" id="listbox1" multiple="0" inbinding="1" onetimepopulated="1" unresolved="0">

<link linktype="default">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0">

<data_info modifiedrequest="1" sourcetype="typeMaster">

<static_values>
<static value="PERSINFO" display="PERSINFO" selected="0"></static>
<static value="VIDEOTRK" display="VIDEOTRK" selected="1"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_3" elementtype="9" name="listbox2" id="listbox2" multiple="0" inbinding="1" onetimepopulated="0" unresolved="0">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_7">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0" resolveparameterfq="FLDTYP" resolveparameter="FLDTYP">

<data_info datatype="1" sourcetype="typeMaster" modifiedrequest="1" datafield="FIELDNAME" displayfield="FIELDNAME" selectedvalue="STATE">

<![CDATA[-DEFAULT &DATASOURCE = VIDEOTRK;
-DEFAULT &FLDTYP = '';
-SET &WHERESTMT = IF (&FLDTYP = 'ALPHAFLD') THEN ('WHERE FORMAT LIKE ''A%'';') ELSE IF (&FLDTYP = 'NONALPHA') THEN ('WHERE FORMAT NOT LIKE ''A%'';') ELSE ('');
CHECK FILE &DATASOURCE HOLD
TABLE FILE HOLD
SUM FST.FIELDNAME
BY FIELDNAME
&WHERESTMT.EVAL
END]]></data_info></condition></link></input_control>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_6" elementtype="9" name="listbox3" id="listbox3" multiple="0" inbinding="1" unresolved="0" onetimepopulated="0">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_3">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0" resolveparameterfq="FIELDSEL" resolveparameter="FIELDSEL">

<data_info datatype="1" sourcetype="typeMaster" modifiedrequest="1" datafield="FIELDVAL" displayfield="FIELDVAL" selectedvalue="IL">

<![CDATA[SET ASNAMES = ON
-DEFAULT &DATASOURCE = VIDEOTRK;
-DEFAULT &FIELDSEL = STATE;
TABLE FILE &DATASOURCE
SUM FST.&FIELDSEL AS FIELDVAL
BY &FIELDSEL AS FIELDVAL
END]]></data_info></condition></link></input_control>

<input_control bindcontrolid="compUid_7" onetimepopulated="0" name="radio1" id="radio1" multiple="0" inbinding="1" unresolved="0" top="34" left="120" width="60" height="20">

<link linktype="default" from="compUid_2">

<condition default="1" name="Default" whattodowithcontrol="0" valuescompareoperator="0" parameterscompareoperator="0" conditionmultiselectoperator="0" resolveparameterfq="DATASOURCE" resolveparameter="DATASOURCE">

<data_info modifiedrequest="1" sourcetype="typeMaster" datatype="0" selectedvalue="" ibiformat="A10V" accept="0" addalloption="0" operation="NONE">

<static_values>

<static value="FOC_NONE" display="All Fields" selected="1"></static>

<static value="NONALPHA" display="Numeric Fields" selected="0"></static>

<static value="ALPHAFLD" display="Alpha Fields" selected="0"></static></static_values></data_info></condition></link></input_control></input_controls>

<other_bound_objects></other_bound_objects>

<requests></requests></rootxmlnode></script>
</xml></BODY>
<SCRIPT id=IBI_loader type=text/javascript>
doBeforeLoad();
</SCRIPT>
</HTML>

7.7.05M/7.7.03 HF6 on Windows Server 2003 SP2 output to whatever is required.

Posts: 393 | Location: St. Paul, MN | Registered: November 06, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dan for the code...

Thanks David for sending examples to my mail.

I will try both tses in my env and let you people know.

Thanks,

Ramkumar.
WebFOCUS/Tableau
Webfocus 8 / 7.7.02
Unix, Windows