Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] Converting today date to the day of the week

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] Converting today date to the day of the week
 Login/Join

Silver Member
posted
Please help... I am 'new' to webfocus programming and I try to work out the day of the week from today date in order to decide what the program should do.
My code is as below. I am getting error message "Task error: UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND DATEA/A8YYMD = TODAY(DATEA);"

DATEA/A8YYMD = TODAY(DATEA);
DATEB/A4 = DOWK(DATEA, DATEB);

Thanks

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WebFOCUS 5.2 upgrading to the latest version at the moment.
UNIX
HTML

Posts: 35 | Registered: September 16, 2009Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Instead of using TODAY(DATEA), use '&YYMD'.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I tried your suggestion with the code below, but it's still prompting me the message "Task error: UNRECOGNIZED COMMAND DATEA/A8YYMD = 20120719 ;"

DATEA/A8YYMD = '&YYMD';

Thanks

UNIX
HTML

Expert
posted Hide Post
Can you post more of your code ?

The code you have would be found in a DEFINE, or perhaps a COMPUTE, I have a feeling you need this at a Dialog Manager level.

Waz...

Prod:WebFOCUS 7.6.10/8.1.04Upgrade:WebFOCUS 8.2.07OS:LinuxOutputs:HTML, PDF, Excel, PPT
In Focus since 1984
Pity the lost knowledge of an old programmer!

Posts: 6347 | Location: 33°49'23.0"S, 151°11'41.0"E | Registered: October 31, 2006Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I added the table file car statement as below. It is now prompting me:
"THE FIELDNAME IS NOT RECOGNIZED: SET "

-CHECKDAY
TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT CAR NOPRINT
AND COMPUTE
DATEA/A8YYMD = '&YYMD';
END
-TYPE DATE OF THE WEEK IS DATEB
-IF DATEB EQ 'SAT' GOTO CHECKAGENT;
-IF DATEB EQ 'SUN' GOTO CHECKAGENT;
-GOTO ENDPROC

Thanks for your help

UNIX
HTML

Master
posted Hide Post
DOWK takes an I8 parameter for the input. Try this:

DATEA/A8YYMD = '&YYMD';
DATEB/A3 = DOWK(EDIT(DATEA), DATEB);

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
As George pointed out, DOWK requires I8YYMD (or I6YMD) as th input format.

One simple change is required if you need DATEA elsewhere.

DATEA/I8YYMD = &YYMD;

otherwise:

DATEB/A4 = DOWK(&YYMD, DATEB);

Does the job all by itself.

Robert F. Bowley Jr.
Owner
TaRa Solutions, LLC

In WebFOCUS since 2001

Posts: 132 | Location: Gadsden, Al | Registered: July 22, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This can all be done with Dialogue Manager. Maybe this will give you what you want?

-SET &DATEB = DOWK(&YYMD,'A4');
-IF (&DATEB EQ 'SAT' OR 'SUN') GOTO CHECKAGENT;
-GOTO ENDPROC

WebFOCUS 7.7.05

Posts: 1213 | Location: Seattle, Washington - USA | Registered: October 22, 2007Report This Post
Silver Member
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone for your response.

It works!
Instead of playing around with my code, I just use Dan's suggestion.

Thanks again Smiler

UNIX
HTML

Master
posted Hide Post
I tried rfbowley's approach and it didn't like
DATEA/I8YYMD = &YYMD;

And DOWK expects a length of A3 according to the documentation, not A4, although the latter wouldn't hurt of course.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post