Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [PATCH APPLIED] WebFOCUS 8.0.08: folders inadvertently moved - quite annoying

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[PATCH APPLIED] WebFOCUS 8.0.08: folders inadvertently moved - quite annoying
 Login/Join

Expert
posted
In one week we had:

1) a Portal disappeared - inadvertently deleted
2) a Content Folder disappeared - inadvertently moved
3) a Security Group disappeared - inadvertently moved

This from experienced developers (not users) simply browsing in the "default" WebFOCUS page.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
quote:
peared

quote:
Content Folder disappeared - inadvertently moved

Yes, I do face this issue. When user clicks on a content folder and drags under anyother folder, it simply moves the folder without even asking for any confirmation. Someone moved RC folder under different parent folder and we spent more than 5 hours to find that there was a change in directory path.

Thanks,
Ram

Posts: 542 | Location: Dearborn, MI | Registered: June 03, 2009Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Francis Mariani:

2) a Content Folder disappeared - inadvertently moved

Done that - Deleted whole "Production area" after that stripped myself from administration rights.

Release: WebFOCUS 8104, AppStudio: 8105
Output: HTML,Excel,Active Reports

Expert
posted Hide Post
I believe that this is being addressed?

In the interim check the audit.log under WebFOCUS80\logs.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Same here - user moved the library content folder or something like that - and everyone's report library vanished.

That's when I got management to spend a couple of dollars on training and we took 2 security courses.

Webfocus 8
Windows, Linux

Posts: 258 | Location: Palm Coast, FL | Registered: February 05, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We have had the moving folders happen in our environments also. Trying to find where they went so they can be moved back was time-consuming the first time, but then I wrote a fex to read the wf_reposobj table where condition is a contains on what got moved results are where it is currently.
Saves us time because it seems like something gets accidently moved in one of our environments around once a month. We have put in a NFR for a warning message

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
CLH, can you share your code ?

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007

Posts: 2409 | Location: Montreal Area, Qc, CA | Registered: September 25, 2013Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Sure

TABLE FILE WF_REPOSOBJ
PRINT
HANDLE
EXT_ID
LASTACCESSBY
LASTMODBY
BY PRT_PATH
BY OBJNAME
-*WHERE PRT_PATH CONTAINS 'partofpath';
-*WHERE CREATEDBY EQ 'userid'
WHERE OBJNAME CONTAINS 'reportname' ;
-*WHERE EXT_ID EQ 'scheduleid';
-*WHERE HANDLE CONTAINS 'something';
END

Various wheres are dependent on what we know about the code before it was moved.

Crystal

Webfocus 8.0.7 on Windows

Posts: 176 | Location: Ohio | Registered: October 26, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
In all these cases, no one actually intended to move anything - the thing just moved. Why no one thought of adding an alert "Do you really want to..." is beyond me. Meanwhile, yesterday, one experienced developer (not user) had 6 folders move around while browsing the Report Caster Explorer which is a slow beast. Little did I know that a folder moved in the Report Caster Explorer moves all the content, not just schedules.

Francis

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
As mentioned above, you could run a report against the audit log to trap items that have been moved (purposefully or otherwise) and then have that information available quickly in case someone phones the helpdesk and says "my content has gone".

Not the ideal situation but until the NFR that CLH mentions is evaluated and dealt with (I know of others who have raised this or a similar NFR) it might enable you to be proactive?

Sample code, check for WHERE OPERATION EQ 'moveItem' I think -

FILEDEF auditlog DISK c:\ibi\webfocus80\logs\audit.log
EX -LINES * EDAPUT MASTER,auditlog,CF,MEM,FILENAME=auditlog, SUFFIX=FIX,$
SEGNAME=SEG01, SEGTYPE=S0, $
FIELD=FILLER1,  ,A1, A1, $
FIELD=DATETIME, ,A19, A19, $
FIELD=FILLER2,  ,A6, A6, $
FIELD=LINETYPE  ,A6, A6, $
FIELD=ACTION    ,A17, A17, $
FIELD=MONITORID ,A17, A17, $
FIELD=LOGLINE,  ,A200, A200, $
DEFINE LOGTIME/HYYMDS = HINPUT(19, DATETIME, 8, 'HYYMDS');$
DEFINE USERID/A12 = GETTOK(LOGLINE, 200, 1, ' ', 12, 'A12');$
DEFINE OPERATION/A30 = GETTOK(LOGLINE, 200, 2, ' ', 30, 'A30');$
DEFINE STATUS/A10 = GETTOK(LOGLINE, 200, 3, ' ', 10, 'A10');$
DEFINE OPERATOR/A20 = GETTOK(LOGLINE, 200, 4, ' ', 20, 'A20');$
DEFINE PARMSTR/A100 = GETTOK(LOGLINE, 200, 5, ' ', 100, 'A100');$
EDAPUT*

TABLE FILE auditlog
PRINT LINETYPE
      ACTION
      USERID
      OPERATION
      STATUS
      OPERATOR
      PARMSTR
   BY LOGTIME
IF RECORDLIMIT EQ 100
END
-RUN

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis, we have also experienced this behaviour and there is a patch for it (at least for 8.0.06). The patch ask you to confirm that you want to move the item.

Rgds

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
There are also security settings in the roles you can edit to not allow users to edit (move) resources.

WebFOCUS 8.0.07 and 8.2.01M
UNIX, WINDOWS, ORACLE
PDF, CSV, Excel, TXT, XML, HTML

Posts: 65 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 17, 2012Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
quote:
NFR

Tony, I'm sorry, but you must have drunk the Kool-Aid if you believe it takes an NFR to fix this... This is a bug.

Tom, I always state "developers (not users)" because I feel IBI does not believe that developers work with WebFOCUS. This bug occurs while experienced developers (not users) are browsing content. This is a bug - it certainly never happened in WF 7 and WF 5. In those versions, you intentionally had to move folders.

Interestingly, we haven't yet found the magic set of security permissions that will allow experienced developers (not users) to do their job and also prevent them from accidentally moving folders because the html interface is buggy.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Apparently there's a patch for this.

When WebFOCUS 8.0.08 was installed the Build/GEN Number was 19. Now that a patch was applied, the GEN Number is 132. I don't have a clue what the patch is, but we are told that it corrects the moving folder issue.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Well then it is broke in 8.0.9 because it just happened to me. I was able to move a folder just under the "Content" folder, but when I saw it happen I couldn't move it back. I didn't have the authority. An administrator moved it back. Now I can't create new fexes under the folder, but I can edit existing ones. We are having problems seeing what security has charged.

Any ideas?

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
And despite some patch being applied and people cheering, it is still happening. Back to the drawing board.

Francis

Expert
posted Hide Post
Apparently the patch has something to do with the timing of cursor clicks/drags/moves on a Bindows window but it ain't working.

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
They have a partial fix for this in 8.1.3. This is from the new features in 8.1.3.

Confirmation Message When Moving Folders
You can set the IBI_Move_Confirmation_Message parameter to specify whether WebFOCUS will
request confirmation when a user moves a folder using a drag-and-drop operation. The default
value is False.
For more information, see the WebFOCUS Security and Administration manual.

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Posts: 341 | Location: Pembroke NH/Jericho NY | Registered: June 15, 2011Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Jay, thanks for the update. I don't think we'll be graduating to 8.1.03 for quite a while. We use Zabbix for performance monitoring and we've configured it to trigger an email when a "move folder" occurred in the WF log.

BTW, "user" oriented again, not "developer"...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Francis Mariani,

Francis

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
We have changed our upgrade recently from 7705 to 8103 rather than 8009. Now it feels like we are helping beta test 8103. Hopefully we will help IBI attain stability with 8103. IMHO at this point, if you can afford to wait then continue to wait for an all clear.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 (Someday 8)
Windows 7, All Outputs
In Focus since 1983.

Expert
posted Hide Post
We're holding at v8.0.08, so thanks very much for the QA testing on v8.1.03. See you on the other side of the cliff.

Francis

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Francis,

This is fixed, somewhat. I requested an additional feature to confirm a drag/drop issue.
So, this is a new setting in wf admin. Default is unchecked. If you check it, you go get a confirmation prompt.

It has stopped a lot of our mysterious folder "moves".

Implemented in 8009.

--wg

WF 8009m, Clustered vm Windows2008r2 reporting servers;
Web interface: tomcat;
Output: EXCEL, HTML, PDF; dbms: Oracle 10, db2 on mvs, mssql

Posts: 81 | Location: Monroe LA | Registered: January 07, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Winfred, thank you for taking the initiative. I do think it's ludicrous that it's labelled a "new feature" - nice way to disguise a bug.

This inadvertent folder move appears to be instantaneous, while simply adding a task to a Report Caster schedule or switching Portals is stickily slow...

Francis

Guru
posted Hide Post
Francis, a feature is "a bug as described by the Marketing Department". To be honest, IBI are not the only offenders.

Håkan

WebFOCUS DS 8.0.06/08 DS/AS
WebFOCUS RS 8.0.08 (Linux/IBM i)
WebFOCUS Client 8.0.06 (Linux)

Posts: 319 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: February 04, 2004Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Håkan, I know, even the almighty Apple machine is full of holes - the emperor has no clothes.

Francis

posted Hide Post
Even with some of the recent settings and fixes in place, inadvertent migrations can occur on ver. 8.0.08

After identifying WHERE the content folder is residing.

1) create back-up/copy said folder (double check to make sure all content was created)

2) CUT the folder

3) PASTE it into original location

Depending on how much content is in the folder, the back-up process can take more time than steps 2-3.
You can save some time by not making a back-up but we all know the risks.

WebFOCUS 8.0.0.2
Windows 7
SQL 2012 / DB2 / etc.

Posts: 8 | Location: United States | Registered: November 02, 2010Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I too attended the special meeting at Summit 2015. My problem is with legacy HTML code during an upgrade (and all legacy code, but HTML had the most issues). We had to "upgrade" the HTML by opening, rebinding, and closing it through two iterations of studio and the results still didn't always work properly. So editing was required to get it all (mostly) working. So we need an editor as well as an upgrade tool to more cleanly migrate HTML during upgrades. Recreating everything with the new version of WF wasn't an option. Dashboards to Portals will be a follow-on to the upgrade. New stuff in general seems to work prettty well in its own new world, but I'm betting some tweaking will be required. It almost always is. I too vote for better editing tools for advanced users.

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 (Someday 8)
Windows 7, All Outputs
In Focus since 1983.

Guru
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winfred Gunter:
Francis,

This is fixed, somewhat. I requested an additional feature to confirm a drag/drop issue.
So, this is a new setting in wf admin. Default is unchecked. If you check it, you go get a confirmation prompt.

It has stopped a lot of our mysterious folder "moves".

Implemented in 8009.

Do you know what the parameter name is and under what section?

--wg

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster

Guru
posted Hide Post
I think I just found it.

IBI_Move_Confirmation_Message underConfiguration - Other settings

WebFocus 8.1.5
iSeries/Windows
DB2/SQL/Access
Dev Studio
App Studio
Maintain
ReportCaster