Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Narrowing selection criteria.

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Narrowing selection criteria.
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I have this issue. I have a drop down list which populates TYPE, when users select TYPE, the another dropdown list will populate SUBTYPE which according to that TYPE. Anybody know how I can do this ? I tried chain control but it made my report run forever because that table is too big. Thanks.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hainguyen,

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Are TYPE and SUBTYPE fields in the same table?
How many distinct values of TYPE?
For a given TYPE, how many values of SUBTYPE on the average?

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
After trying many ways with the chain controls, I can do it but this is the reason which mades it runs so slow. I need to made the chain control for 5 fields in the same table. The number of records of this table is 3,300,000. If I just do the chain control in the normal way, it runs fine. But I need to let these fields as the optional so I checked ALL for these controls. When the page is loading, it will load all records of this table to all these fields for the same time, not one by one. It takes almost 5 minutes to finish loading. Now I am trying to limit the number of records of the first control then passing this value to the next control but it seems when I select the item of the first control, the second control can't recognize this value. Anybody can help me in this situation?

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows, All Outputs

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
You could create a FOCUS file with all unique TYPE/SUBTYPE combinations and use that to feed your chained controls.

Or better yet, have those types in a relational database table with a primary key over them (to make them unique and indexed at the same time) and with foreign key constraints pointing to them from the table you're currently querying to populate your controls.
Once you have that, you can simply use those TYPE tables for your chained controls.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :

Posts: 1669 | Location: Enschede, Netherlands | Registered: August 12, 2010Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Try and get hold of a copy of the presentation that Susannah and I gave at the 2009 Summit in Nashville as that may give you some ideas on how you can improve things.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
There are two tables I am working on : BATCHTYPE and BATCH. BATCHTYPE table just has 100 records, and BATCH table has 3,300,000 records. I need to create selection criteria for BatchType, BatchTime, Area, Reactor, Material, Equipment and those fields are in BATCH table. The solution I am thinking now is I create the first dropdown list for BatchType from BATCHTYPE table, then I created the HOLD file from BATCH table with BatchType and BatchTime entered in the HTML page as parameters. Then I create the chain controls for these fields and let these controls get data from the HOLD file. But this is the problem I got. After I select BatchType, the next controls (AREA) can't recognize the value of BatchType control so it didn't populate value to Area control. The order of the controls I want to made is : BatchType, Area, Reactor, Material, Equipment. Could you guys have any suggestion for this issue ? It takes me hours to work on this but still can't get rid of this.

WebFOCUS 7.7.03
Windows, All Outputs