Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Using two ODBC data adapters?

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Using two ODBC data adapters?
 Login/Join

Master
posted
We would like to set up a second ODBC adapter in webfocus, but are unsure about how to specify an adapter using passthru. Currently we have procedures that do inserts in to the first database (DB2) as such:

SQL SQLODBC
INSERT INTO x values (1,2,3);
END

the problem is that the data adapter has always been called 'infob', but as you can tell in the fex it's being referenced as SQLODBC. When I change the code to be SQL Infob, I get an error.

Any ideas?

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
In your edasprof you specify the data adapters with their respective connections.
You refer to them by setting the default connection.
When that is done, you can do your sql passthrough.
It will be sent to the adapter that is the default connector at that moment.

Hope this helps ...

GamP

- Using AS 8.2.01 on Windows 10 - IE11.
in Focus since 1988

Posts: 1961 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
GamP,
so, when I use a SQL SQLODBC command, it simply goes to the 'default' connection as specified in edasprof?

We're just worried that if we set up a second ODBC connection that webfocus will not pick a connection.

Thanks!

Prod: Single Windows 2008 Server running Webfocus 7.7.03 Reporting server Web server IIS6/Tomcat, AS400 DB2 database.

posted Hide Post
You can change the default connection either in the profile (e.g. EDASPROF, a user profile, etc.) or directly in the procedure.

The syntax is something like:

ENGINE SQLODBC SET DEFAULT_CONNECTION connection.

I don't know if you've considered it, but you might want to look into the native DB2 data adapter, which uses the IBM DB/Connect client. As a native adapter, it is specifically oriented to DB2. The native adapter can often generate more optimized SQL for DB2 (vs. generic ANSI SQL). Depending on how complex your request is, this may greatly affect performance.

WebFOCUS 53, 71, 76 - All Platforms

Posts: 15 | Location: Information Builders - Chicago | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
db2 connect is an expensive piece of software, so we opted against it and haven't found any trouble with using ODBC, but I keep the optimization redbook handy. Wink

thanks for the help folks!

posted Hide Post
I am not sure what IBM DB Connect costs? As this is an IBM product, you would get it throught them.

I have heard various stories from other customers using DB Connect that it go from, "It was less than I thought it would be." to "Do I have a choice of which arm and which leg?"

If your DB2 requests are "generic SQL" type requests, this may not be a big issue.

Best of luck.

WebFOCUS 53, 71, 76 - All Platforms

Posts: 15 | Location: Information Builders - Chicago | Registered: May 08, 2003Report This Post