Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Invisible BY in Graph

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Invisible BY in Graph
 Login/Join

posted
Anyone know how to do an invisible sort in a graph. Example: I want a bar chart showing SALES BY CAR but I want the bars to be in decending sales order, not in alphabetical car order.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Expert
posted Hide Post
Do a search on graph or my name in the Forum. I posted a methodology on how to do this a while ago. Others have also. It involves Dialogue Manager loops in the API syntax area.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It has always amazed me that something so obvious requires so much work. Try displaying a graph with months and displaying the monthname in the proper order jan feb mar and not alphabetical order and without 01jan 02feb. I think we did this once by sticking spaces on to the front of the month name. " jan" " feb" etc.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Hi Jodye,

If you ever have a need again, try using Dialogue Manager with COLUMNS syntax.

I use it frequently...

Reference this Link

Tom

Tom Flynn
WebFOCUS 8.1.05 - PROD/QA
DB2 - AS400 - Mainframe

Posts: 1972 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: January 31, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Tom

Yes we use COLUMNS it is very useful. But sometimes you don't know what the columns will be and need to build the string dynamically. It is not that hard but still... something as basic as a BY with noprint on a graph is really lacking.

Jodye

WF 8.0.0.5M

Posts: 246 | Location: Montreal, QC, Canada | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
You are correct --- it should be easier ...
This almost gets you there in 765
GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES BY TOTAL SALES NOPRINT BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE SET GRMERGE ON
END
The labels are better in our development version ... so it is getting better.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Try:
TABLE FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE HOLD AS CAR1
END
GRAPH FILE CAR1
SUM SALES
BY HIGHEST SALES NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY
END

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes

Posts: 755 | Location: TX | Registered: September 25, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to add an update here, I'm using 7.6.9 and the above code works but only displays correctly if you include the following:

ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ON

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Exactly. This works very well in 767 using the DS:

GRAPH FILE CAR
SUM SALES
BY TOTAL HIGHEST SALES NOPRINT
BY COUNTRY
ON GRAPH SET LOOKGRAPH VBAR
ON GRAPH SET GRAPHEDIT SERVER
ON GRAPH SET BARNUMB OFF
ON GRAPH SET 3D OFF
ON GRAPH SET VZERO ON
ON GRAPH SET GRID ON
ON GRAPH SET GRMERGE ON
ON GRAPH PCHOLD FORMAT PNG

The rest is the GRAPHSTYLE...

Daniel
In Focus since 1982
wf 8.202M/Win10/IIS/SSA - WrapApp Front End for WF

Posts: 1980 | Location: Tel Aviv, Israel | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
It works well for all graph types except pie graphs. We really need to have an invisible BY for a pie graph in lot of our reports. Using the advanced graph tool(WF769) doesn't let you have two BY fields. If I add two BY fields thru code I get the error
(FOC32466) MERGE DIMENSIONS EXCEED THE NUMBER OF SORT FIELDS.
Any help with this issue for pie graph is greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

7.6.9, XP

Posts: 60 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Please disregard my previous message. I have a solution for my problem.
http://forums.informationbuild...=576101433#576101433

7.6.9, XP

Posts: 60 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 19, 2008Report This Post