Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [Solved] FTP files from apps directory using report caster

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[Solved] FTP files from apps directory using report caster
 Login/Join

posted
I am open to changes in my approach if there is a better way.

Here's what I have:
I am creating a tab delimited file that I need to FTP. The challenge is I need to have a header record which of course doesn't have the same layout as the detail report otherwise I would use the MORE feature.

Here's my approach:
I created the header record and did a FILEDEF to put it on a file on DISK. I then did the detail report and put appended it to that file (all through the GUI). The file is perfect, but now I want to use report caster to FTP the file but I can't figure out how to tell report caster what to FTP. In other report caster jobs whatever is outputted to the browser is easy to schedule.

Ideas on how I can proceed without hard coding the FTP using DOS commands? I would like this application to be clean for the next person that has to support it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Darryl Maraj,

WebFOCUS 8.105
Windows/Server 2008 R2
HTML, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Could you use EDAMAIL? I can't think of a way to get caster to use a disk file but EDAMAIL might.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Babak - I immediately thought of EDAMAIL too, but he specifically wants to FTP ....

WebFOCUS 7.7.05 Windows, Linux, DB2, IBM Lotus Notes, Firebird, Lotus Symphony/OpenOffice. Outputs PDF, Excel 2007 (for OpenOffice integration), WP

Posts: 674 | Location: Guelph, Ontario, Canada ... In Focus since 1985 | Registered: September 28, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi folks yes really needed FTP because I am ftp'ing an inventory file to a third party marketplace. For now I did a DOS command to FTP the file, make the appropriate comments in the FEX file and used echo in the ftp batch file to place comments in the reportcaster log so if someone else has to troubleshoot at least they will have some clue as to where to look.

An added update is that one of our developers took what I did above made a centralized file to manage all custom FTP passwords where we would pass in a value and use dialogue manager to execute the need FTP statement.

WebFOCUS 8.105
Windows/Server 2008 R2
HTML, Excel

Guru
posted Hide Post
Please modify this code to meet your requirements
/*
FILEDEF HOLDA DISK C:\TEMP\HOLDA.FTM
-RUN
TABLE FILE HOLDSEC
PRINT
DATE_LIT AS ''
BY PROV_ORG NOPRINT
WHERE READLIMIT EQ 1
ON TABLE HOLD AS HOLDA FORMAT ALPHA
END
-RUN
FILEDEF HOLDB DISK C:\TEMP\HOLDA.FTM (APPEND
-RUN
/*
Add your report at this point.

WF 7.6.11
Oracle
WebSphere
Windows NT-5.2 x86 32bit

Posts: 398 | Registered: February 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey RSquare. Thank you for your reply I already have this in my program what I didn't have was a way to FTP the file from the disk.

It turns out there is an answer to this in ReportCaster and I can get rid of my manual FTP step.

-----------------------------------------------
Here are the notes from Tech Support:
-----------------------------------------------

If you have a series of tasks that make a file, then you can add a TASK that ftp's the file that was made.

This is when the file is not in edatemp.

Say you make a file in c:\ibi\apps\.

Here you just make a TASK that is FTP (and decide if you want to erase the file before, after, or not. (if you don't erase after, then I would have a preprocess that deletes before, so you don't send an old file, if the job fails.)

WebFOCUS 8.105
Windows/Server 2008 R2
HTML, Excel

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
This is good to know. Could you please update the title with a key word so we'll be able to find it next time? Thanks for updating this post.

WebFOCUS 8206, Unix, Windows

Posts: 1853 | Location: New York City | Registered: December 30, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
You got it! Updated! Thank you for the help.

WebFOCUS 8.105
Windows/Server 2008 R2
HTML, Excel