Focal Point
[CLOSED] Need to sequence the report caster schedule

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9217077096

September 14, 2018, 03:05 PM
Nags
[CLOSED] Need to sequence the report caster schedule
Hello,

I have 4 tasks which generates individual xlsx files. These 4 tasks added in one scheduler and distributed through email, works fine. But I have to upload the xlsx files in Report Library, where the schedule accepts only one task. So I have created 4 individual schedule for each tasks, each schedule is working fine individually. My requirement is to sequence (or) set up the dependency for each schedule now. I am using EDAMAIL to send out the notification on the 4th schedule. So 4th schedule has to trigger only all the 3 schedules are completed.

Any help on ideas to set up the sequence / dependency on the schedule would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FP Mod Chuck,

WebFOCUS 8105M
September 14, 2018, 04:08 PM
MartinY
Since I don't know the frequency of the execution and if I assume that they run once a day, the easiest way is to schedule them at different time : 5 minutes from each other... Assuming that 5 minutes gives enough time for each to complete prior to the next one execution.

But other solution may exist depending on execution frequency, or from another way to produce the 4 reports.

WF versions : Prod 8.2.04M gen 33, Dev 8.2.04M gen 33, OS : Windows, DB : MSSQL, Outputs : HTML, Excel, PDF
In Focus since 2007
September 14, 2018, 04:18 PM
Nags
Thank you MartinY. I have frequency set as daily and the same work around of 5 minutes interval given for each schedule. Thanks for your response!

WebFOCUS 8105M
September 15, 2018, 11:24 AM
Nags
Anyone has ideas to sequence the schedules. The workaround is working fine but there are high chances that other schedule takes more time to upload the reports. There are more requirements coming on my way similar to this. Appreciate your help.

WebFOCUS 8105M
September 17, 2018, 04:02 AM
Wep5622
A common approach for this type of problem is to poll whether the other 3 files are available after uploading a file and only then fire off the procedure that combines them.

The one thing to look out for is that the jobs that write the other files may not have finished yet when the last job writes its file. You would end up in a situation where all files are ready, but none of the jobs can detect that - a race condition.

You could have a 5th job doing the polling every 5 minutes or so. That gives you better separation and prevents the race condition, but also an up-to 5 minute delay.

On a final note: Don't make the mistake of detecting that a file is ready by checking its existence. It may still be in the process of being written. An easy workaround is to write an "empty" file afterwards for detection purposes.

WebFOCUS 8.1.03, Windows 7-64/2008-64, IBM DB2/400, Oracle 11g & RDB, MS SQL-Server 2005, SAP, PostgreSQL 11, Output: HTML, PDF, Excel 2010
: Member of User Group Benelux :
September 18, 2018, 09:05 AM
jgelona
What I would do is create FOCUS file. Give each report a unique id and make it the key. Create a Post Processing fex for each schedule that updates the file. This will write the appropriate record in the FOCUS file. Now, in the 4th schedule, have a pre-processing fex check for all 3 records. If they are there, run, if not, sleep for 5 minutes and check again.

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.
September 19, 2018, 09:27 AM
Nags
Thank you Wep5622 and jgelona.

WebFOCUS 8105M
September 19, 2018, 09:58 AM
TobyMills
Hi Nags,

I know this may not be a help to you, but here's a short video of what you want to do that is in the New Features of 8204:

Scheduling other Schedules
September 19, 2018, 10:24 AM
Nags
Thank you for sharing the video TobyMills. Good information

WebFOCUS 8105M