Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     exl2k - leading spaces

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
exl2k - leading spaces
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
Does anyone know a neat trick to get leading spaces to appear in exl2k? I tried coding:
DEFINE WORD/A20=' ABC'; but it ignores the spaces

I tried using positional markers putting the indented information in subheads, but that didn't work either.

It was suggested to just put some characters like dashes in the front of the words to indent so that is what I've done but it doesn't look pretty. I can't right justify or center because that would look odd also.

Any suggestions?

webfocus 8.105M; os: windows; pdf, html, exl2k, csv

Posts: 179 | Registered: November 10, 2004Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here's a way to make spaces and then you can use them where ever you want...just make the
SP05 as ' ' so no title appears.

SP/A1 = HEXBYT(160, 'A1');
SP01/A1 = SP;
SP02/A2 = SP|SP;
SP05/A05 = SP|SP|SP|SP|SP;
SP10/A10 = SP05|SP05;
SP15/A15 = SP10|SP05;
SP20/A20 = SP10|SP10;

In Focus since 1993. WebFOCUS 7.7.03 Win 2003

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Pam have you tried '&|nbsp;'
works like a charm in html
don't know about exl2k, tho.
Prarie's suggestion may be the only way to go for Excel. Just curious if you've tried the standard html one.

In Focus since 1979///7706m/5 ;wintel 2008/64;OAM security; Oracle db, ///MRE/BID

Posts: 3811 | Location: Manhattan | Registered: October 28, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Try the RJUST function:

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT RCOST DCOST
COMPUTE NEWCNTY/A10=RJUST(10,COUNTRY,NEWCNTY);
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXCEL
END

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Sorry Pam. I didn't see the part about no Right Justification.

The following works fine for me:

(the compute has 10 spaces in the concate. the post only shows one)

TABLE FILE CAR
PRINT RCOST DCOST
COMPUTE NEWCNTY/A20=' ' | COUNTRY;
BY COUNTRY
ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXCEL
END

Thanks!

Mickey

FOCUS/WebFOCUS 1990 - 2011

Posts: 995 | Location: Gaithersburg, MD, USA | Registered: May 07, 2003Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Pam,

I would recommend Prairie's solution as the x'160' character is not (or doesn't appear to be) interpreted by WF and is therefore not removed as a leading space.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. Suzannah, I got the following when I tried your suggestion:
  Change Detail Report
instead of spaces. We do that code for HTML so I just copied the code. Excel doesn't seem to like the nbsp.

I tried the 20 spaces as Mickey suggested and it did not work in exl2k but it does work in excel. We're now on exl2k so that wasn't an option.

I actually tried Prairie's suggestion first and it put a funky character on my report. When I went to do it again to show the results on the forum, it worked perfectly. So, I'm going with Prairie's suggestion.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Glad it worked...I've been having fights with Excel for a few months...I think I've tried it all.

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: February 28, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I was wrong. Prairie's suggestion didn't work. It works in excel, but does not work in exl2k.
DEFINE FILE ABC
SP01/A1 = SP;
SP02/A2 = SP|SP;
EVENTNAME/A50=SP02|EVENTNME;
END

TABLE FILE ABC
SUM CNT.OUTPUT_TYPE AS 'TOTALCNT'
BY EVENTNAME
BY OUTPUT_TYPE
ON TABLE HOLD AS OUTFILE FORMAT EXL2K
END
I don't know if you can see the character or not, but it displays as a box in exl2k.

牋Change Detail Report

Any other suggestions?? Exl2k is supposed to be an improvement so we just converted all our applications over the summer to go to it.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
DEFINE FILE CAR

SP01/A1 = SP;
SP05/A5 = SP|SP|SP|SP|SP;
EVENTNAME/A50=SP05|CAR;
END

TABLE FILE CAR
SUM CNT.SEATS AS 'TOTALCNT'
BY EVENTNAME

ON TABLE PCHOLD FORMAT EXL2K
END

This worked for me. Wonder if it's your version

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
that did work on my desktop. I'll have to look into why it won't work on our server. Very interesting.

Expert
posted Hide Post
Pam,

I tried this locally using Dev Studio (Win XP) server and our W2003 server. Worked as per Prarie on both.

T

In FOCUS
since 1986
WebFOCUS Server 8.2.01M, thru 8.2.07 on Windows Svr 2008 R2  
WebFOCUS App Studio 8.2.06 standalone on Windows 10 

Posts: 5694 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 08, 2004Report This Post