Focal Point
Does ECHO=ALL affect the performance of the report?.

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7971057331/m/9241046872

April 01, 2008, 12:11 PM
newtofocus
Does ECHO=ALL affect the performance of the report?.
Just wanted to know if ECHO=ALL affects the performance of a report, if yes to what extent?.

Thanks

WF7.1.4 Prod/Test, MRE, self serve, DM
April 01, 2008, 12:20 PM
Leah
Don't think so, though if running with report caster will fill up the log. It is a good tool to examine code and trace it through, but don't think I'd leave it in allways.

Leah
April 01, 2008, 12:20 PM
Darin Lee
The only real effect is that it has to echo additional information back to your browser. In essence, the answer is no, it doesn't affect performance. The only issues i have come across are:
1. If not removed in a PROD environment, you are showing things to a user that they don't need to or should not see.

2. If the fex is scheduled in ReportCaster, all of the ECHO is added to the RC log for that job. Could fill up the logs a lot faster.

Rule of thumb: leave it in until fully tested. Comment it out (-*) before putting into production.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat
April 02, 2008, 05:13 PM
PBrightwell
I have not noticed any difference when running with MRE, but I worked with one WF version that you could not schedule a job thru Report Caster if it contained ECHO or -EXIT. Oddly enough, once it was scheduled they could be added and the job would run without a problem.

Pat
WF 7.6.8, AIX, AS400, NT
AS400 FOCUS, AIX FOCUS,
Oracle, DB2, JDE, Lotus Notes