Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] TAB delimited .csv file

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] TAB delimited .csv file
 Login/Join

Gold member
posted
I am getting a .csv file which is TAB delimited.
Can someone please guide me how to create a master file for that? Can this be done??
How can a master file be created for a tab delimited .txt file. I tried SUFFIX=COM, but that is not working.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

WF: 7.6.8
OS/Platform: Windows, Unix

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Look at this and see if this helps. This is using SUFFIX=DFIX and the DELIMITER is a TAB. You should be able to cut and paste this and run it.

Jim

-** CREATE FILE - TAB_FILE
FILEDEF DATA DISK tab_file.txt
-RUN
-WRITE DATA Doe Jane 111-222-3333
-WRITE DATA Simpson Bart 444-555-6666
-WRITE DATA Simpson Homer 777-888-9999
-CLOSE
-RUN
FILEDEF MASTER DISK tab_file.mas
-RUN
-WRITE MASTER FILENAME=TAB_FILE, SUFFIX=DFIX,$
-WRITE MASTER SEGMENT=TAB_FILE, SEGTYPE=S0,$
-WRITE MASTER FIELDNAME=LAST_NAME,,A30,A30,$
-WRITE MASTER FIELDNAME=FIRST_NAME,,A30,A30,$
-WRITE MASTER FIELDNAME=TEL_NO,,A12,A12,$
-WRITE MASTER FIELDNAME=DELIMITER, ALIAS=' ',A01,A01,$
-CLOSE
-RUN
FILEDEF tab_file DISK tab_file.txt
-RUN
-** CREATE REPORT - TAB_FILE
TABLE FILE TAB_FILE
PRINT
LAST_NAME
FIRST_NAME
TEL_NO
END

WebFocus 8.201M, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

But that does not work when there is a comma in the name. Say if my first name is SAM,PETER then it is not working out fine.

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
It seems to work for me. When I use the following data

-WRITE DATA Simpson SAM,PETER 444-555-6666

Then the first name prints like "SAM,PETER".

Jim

WebFocus 8.201M, Windows, App Studio

Posts: 227 | Location: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: August 12, 2008Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
sorry it is SAM ,PETER.

<JG>
posted
suffix for tab delimited files are

SUFFIX=TAB or SUFFIX=TABT if the file contains a header row

Report This Post
Gold member
posted Hide Post
Tried that too. Does not work.

I think the spaces in between in each fields are screwing up. Say I have a a field name and there are spaces b/n first name and last name.

<JG>
posted
It works fine providing you do not have any embeded tabs in the data,
exactly the same way that com does providing that you do not have any embeded commas.

Have you looked at the file using a tool that can display tabs, MS word would do.
I suspect that the file is not valid from a logical delimiter point of view.

Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Neenz

why is your csv file tab delimited....

If ppl send me that kind of files and it is meant for futher use, I would go to the creator and ask for a format that is more easy and more relayable to handle.
CSV should be what it says to be....comma separated .

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post