Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     Report Caster Error Logging

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
Report Caster Error Logging
 Login/Join

Platinum Member
posted
I was wondering if anyone could help me come up with a solution where I would be able to say once a say, have something run and check for any reports that for any reason my have not run in report caster for the previous day.

And then I could have some sort of log either emailed to me or I can just run a report daily myself to see if anything appears on this "error list".

This more of a preventative maintenance thing so I don't have users wondering why their reports didn't run over the weekend, and I would have something that shows what didn't run so I can manually run them myself.

dev: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

prod: WF 7.6.5 w/IIS + Tomcat

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Why don't you just turn on error notification in ReportCaster. Whenever a job fails, people get emails.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Eric,
short notification to those who only need to know it failed. detailed notification for those who need to kow what went wrong..

Ira
AIX 533
wf 538

aix-533,websphere 5.1.1,apache-2.0,
wf 538(d), 537 (p),
==============
7.6.11 (t) aix 5312
websphere 6.1.19
apache 2.0

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
and if you start your fex with -SET &ECHO=ALL; you get the whole script with errors in your mail.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Depending on the kind of RC repository you have, I would caution against leaving an ECHO in the program as astandard operating procedure. The info not only goes into the email you are sent, it also gets written to BOTLOG2. Depending on your purge interval and how many programs you have that in, you could run into space problems.

Eric, have you looked at the masters for the Report Caster tables, for instance: BOTLOG, BOTLOG2, BOTSCHED, et al. You can write your own reports against these masters. You can do a few practice queries to check out the contents to see what you need to do to get in information that you want. Dates are an issue and there have been some recent posts about formating the RC dates to something human-understandable.

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Ginny

You are right about that warning, I forget I have encountered that problem once, but the main reason was that the report did something wrong and that created a very big error log, the process only needed one time to fill the log file.

Your suggestion about the BOTLOG etc is a good one too, I will take a look and try to create a report on it.

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Interesting you should mention the &ECHO thing. I was creating a lengthy and complex procedure which we use to integrate with a legacy MVS system and included the &ECHO=ALL. It was very useful in determing when/if things ran, parameters used etc. Then I moved it into production and scheduled it to run EVERY TWO MINUTES. Needless to say, it took only a few hours before the BOTLOG tables took up all available space an caused other DBMS issues. Sad thing is, I didn't figure out that I had left in the &ECHO so we cleaned out the tables and turned things back on. Figured it out soon after when it filled up again.

So I would also recommend AGAINST leaving the &ECHO=ALL in procedures scheduled in ReportCaster.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
Use -TYPE instead. Then you can pick and choose what you put in the log.

Ginny
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
.eric, GinnyJakes, FrankDutch,

Your cautions about removing &ECHO and using -TYPE in *.fex executed by RCaster are valid, but I have one further caution:
Problems arise with leaving ether in active 'old' releases of RCaster. In my case, 'old' is 5.x.x.

In my experience, older versions of RCaster differentiate between the 'RCaster Run Log' containing RCaster execution information and the FocEXEC's 'Message Log' containing what would go to the screen when run in MRE. They provide a dataset for the former and not for the latter, so the output from &ECHO and -TYPE has nowhere to go and the job sometimes crashes it's agent. In an old IBI Case, I was told to NEVER leave these statements active in a FOCExec run by RCaster. And I proved that experimentally by getting a job that ran OK in MRE but crashed in RCaster by simply commenting out all &ECHO and -TYPE statements.

I agree, and have observed, as you have, that newer versions of the product don't have this problem and one can leave the statements active if one limits the volume of their output.

WIN/2K running WF 7.6.4
Development via DevStudio 7.6.4, MRE, TextEditor.
Data is Oracle, MS-SQL.

Posts: 154 | Location: NY | Registered: October 27, 2005Report This Post
Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys guys. Using &echo wouldn't work so much because I would still have to manually check the log to see if they ran or not. Although I do use this when trying to figure out why a job didn't run.

But I think using BOTLOG should work fine, I believe the start/enddates are in zulu format or something right? I saw that when looking though older posts to see if anyone was trying to do something similar.

Posts: 153 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: February 24, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
The times are Greenwich Mean Time. And there was a recent post all about how to do the dates and times.

Ginny

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I used your solution from the other thread. I just changed it to filter out error = '1' and to show the job title name.

This is the link to the other thread for reference if anyone needs it:
https://forums.informationbuilders.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...1057331/m/8101080952

Thanks for the help guys.