Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [SOLVED] How to join several files

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[SOLVED] How to join several files
 Login/Join

Guru
posted
What is the format for joining several files at once? I know how to do a simple one file join to another file, but how would you join field A in File 1 to Field B in file 2 and to Field C in file 3 and to Field in file 4?

I looked in my FOCUS manuals, but could only find simple joins, plus I tried searching on the net.

Hopefully, someone will be able to help...thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: webmeister,

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
How would you do that in SQL?

I think that can't be done either, if you can do it on the database side and create a view. Then create a master on the view and build your report directly on that master.

What you can do is a chained join or a join like field A in fileX to field B in fileY and field C in fileX to field D in fileZ.
But then you have a multipath join and these joins can only be used as descriptive fields (translation of the codes).

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
Expert
posted Hide Post
JOIN FIELD_A IN FILE1 TO [ALL] FIELD_B IN FILE2 AS J1
JOIN FIELD_A IN FILE1 TO [ALL] FIELD_C IN FILE3 AS J2
JOIN FIELD_A IN FILE1 TO [ALL] FIELD_D IN FILE4 AS J3

Ginny
---------------------------------
Prod: WF 7.7.01 Dev: WF 7.6.9-11
Admin, MRE,self-service; adapters: Teradata, DB2, Oracle, SQL Server, Essbase, ESRI, FlexEnable, Google

Posts: 2723 | Location: Ann Arbor, MI | Registered: April 05, 2006Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Frank and Ginny,

Thanks for your replies..... Frank, I wasn't quite clear on your reply...Ginny, I will use your suggestion. It's rough when you've been away from FOCUS since 1997, but a lot of it is coming back quickly.

Mainframe FOCUS 7.0
VM/CMS and MVS/TSO

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As an addendum to Ginny's excellent simple example, if by some chance the files have fields with the same names.

JOIN FIELD_A IN FILE1 TO FIELD_A IN FILE2 AS J1
JOIN FILE2.FIELD_A IN FILE1 TO FIELD_A IN FILE3 AS J3
JOIN FILE3.FIELD_A IN FILE1 TO FIELD_D IN FILE4 AS J4

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post
Master
posted Hide Post
Don't forget about the TAG attribute. Using Leah's example:
JOIN FIELD_A   IN FILE1 TAG A TO FIELD_A IN FILE2 TAG B AS J1
JOIN B.FIELD_A IN FILE1       TO FIELD_A IN FILE3 TAG C AS J3
JOIN C.FIELD_A IN FILE1       TO FIELD_D IN FILE4       AS J4

In FOCUS since 1985. Prod WF 8.0.08 (z90/Suse Linux) DB (Oracle 11g), Self Serv, Report Caster, WebServer Intel/Linux.

Posts: 975 | Location: Oklahoma City | Registered: October 27, 2006Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the addition, when you reply at 10:36 at night, some code just goes away from current memory.

Leah

Posts: 1317 | Location: Council Bluffs, IA | Registered: May 24, 2004Report This Post