Focal Point Banner

As of December 1, 2020, Focal Point is retired and repurposed as a reference repository. We value the wealth of knowledge that's been shared here over the years. You'll continue to have access to this treasure trove of knowledge, for search purposes only.

Join the TIBCO Community
TIBCO Community is a collaborative space for users to share knowledge and support one another in making the best use of TIBCO products and services. There are several TIBCO WebFOCUS resources in the community.

• From the Home page, select Predict: WebFOCUS to view articles, questions, and trending articles.
  • Select Products from the top navigation bar, scroll, and then select the TIBCO WebFOCUS product page to view product overview, articles, and discussions.
  • Request access to the private WebFOCUS User Group (login required) to network with fellow members.

Former myibi community members should have received an email on 8/3/22 to activate their user accounts to join the community. Check your Spam folder for the email. Please get in touch with us at community@tibco.com for further assistance. Reference the community FAQ to learn more about the community.

Focal Point    Focal Point Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  WebFOCUS/FOCUS Forum on Focal Point     [CLOSED] Accented characters not appearing correctly in report

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Search
Notify
Tools
[CLOSED] Accented characters not appearing correctly in report
 Login/Join

posted
We have a name stored in our database as Bañuelos. When it appears on the report output (Excel 2K, PDF, and HTML), it appears as
Ba?uelos. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kerry,

Application: WebFocus 7.1.6 (development 7.6.4) Database: Oracle9i Oracle 10g

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Short answer, Yes.

Long answer, you need to be using a font that includes the extended character set (which includes the á é í ó ú ñ ¿ and other such characters) which I believe that the standard fonts do support. I also think that your WF server needs to have a different codepage enabled (for example, 137 which is English/Western Europe(Latin 1). This is not the default and must be changed in the NLS configuration for the server. I believe the default is Standard US English which is codepage 437 and this would not recognize the extended character set.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex
Data: DB2/UDB, Adabas, SQL Server Output: HTML,PDF,EXL2K/07, PS, AHTML, Flex
WF Client: 77 on Linux w/Tomcat

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Darin. I modified the NLS settings in the WebFocus Admin Console but the name still appears the same in the report.

Expert
posted Hide Post
It may have something to do with the platform or DB you're using.

Please update you signature as per this posting, it may help us to know what your environment is:
Friendly reminder: Please update your signatures

Francis

Give me code, or give me retirement. In FOCUS since 1991

Production: WF 7.7.05M, Dev Studio, BID, MRE, WebSphere, DB2 / Test: WF 8.1.05M, App Studio, BI Portal, Report Caster, jQuery, HighCharts, Apache Tomcat, MS SQL Server

Posts: 10577 | Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 27, 2005Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
As Francis mentions, we need a little more info about your environment. One other suggestion is to try running the query directly in the admin console and see what you get. You may also have to change NLS settings for the client.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991
WF Server: 7.7.04 on Linux and Z/OS, ReportCaster, Self-Service, MRE, Java, Flex

Posts: 2298 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: February 02, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My profile has been updated. I ran the query in the admin console and the result was the same, still getting ? in place of ñ in the name.

Thanks!
Christine

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Here's a quick test - in the console, write a quick procedure that has "Bañuelos" in the heading and run it. If it displays correctly, the server is configured properly and we need to look at database issues or possibly platform character translation. If it still displays Ba?uelos we need to keep looking at server configuration.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Please set your NLS code page setting to :65001 -unicode (UTF-8)
AND NLS_SEMANTICS TO BYTE

Also go to Reportcaster configuration and set the parameter :
Dsever Code page to 65001
Webserver Code page to 65001
and ZIPENCODING TO cp858

WebFocus 7.6.5
AND WebLogic server as web server
sql2005 as database server

Posts: 273 | Location: Europe | Registered: May 31, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Darin, Bañuelos appears correctly in the heading.

Thanks!
Christine

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
Do not go to UTF-8 server with nls symantics of byte. This should work fine with a server codepage of 137. Are any other character displaying as a question mark. ñ is ascii 241, how about 242 or 243 òó ?
Is there a CODEPAGE parm in your masterfile?

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
OK, so I think we can rule out any further issues with codepages. It can display the characters correctly. Now if you insert the field into the heading like
HEADING
"<LASTNAME>"

it displays incorrectly?

Also, you don't mention your DBMS - DB2? Oracle? MS SQL? Can you use a native query tool and get a correct display?

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Gold member
posted Hide Post
For Cburrel:
We are working in russian language. ( So we have a lot of "strange" symbols Smiler )

I suppose you must:
1. Set WF Server NLS = [your codepage] in WebFOCUS Server Console->Configure->NLS
2. Set WF Client NLS = [your codepage] in WebFOCUS Administration Console->Configuration->NLS
3. Possibly :
Set "Save As ANSI" in Developer Studio (if you use it)
Set ReportCaster DServer Codepage (if you use it)
AND even that possible : SET JAVA Settings for Apache Tomcat (if you use it) -Dfile.Encoding =

For Majid:

quote:
Please set your NLS code page setting to :65001 -unicode (UTF-8)
AND NLS_SEMANTICS TO BYTE

Also go to Reportcaster configuration and set the parameter :
Dsever Code page to 65001
Webserver Code page to 65001
and ZIPENCODING TO cp858

Are you realy working in UTF-8?

We've tried, but UTF-8 makes impossible :
a) Developer Studio
b) Report/Graph Assistant

(Power Painter was not tried)

We can live wo Developer Studio, but our users can't live wo BI Dashboard self-services.

WF 7.6.2, WinNT/2K, MSSQL 2K, MSOLAP 2K, BID

Posts: 79 | Location: Moscow | Registered: April 27, 2007Report This Post
Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi,

We are using webfocus in all our companies in Europe. And as you can imagine there are some characters that were not displayed and printed correctly: German, Hungarian,Polish.
We solve this issue by doing that setup I described.

WebFocus 7.6.5

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi Majid,

Are your users have BI Dashboard self-service tools: Report Assistant, Power Painter?
Or you just make reporting for them?

WF 7.6.2, WinNT/2K, MSSQL 2K, MSOLAP 2K, BID

Posts: 79 | Location: Moscow | Registered: April 27, 2007Report This Post
Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
It may or may not work, but I know it isn't necessary to change to UTF-8. We do not have those settings, and everything displays correctly. Since it does introduce some problem with some tools as Ingas mentions, I wouldn't got there unless nothing else works.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

posted Hide Post
Thanks for everyone's input on this issue it is greatly appreciated! Darin, I ran the test procedure with the field inserted in the heading and it displays as Ba?uelos. If I type Bañuelos in the heading it appears fine. When using SQLPLUS to query the data, it appears incorrectly. When I use Quest's TOAD to run the query, it appears correctly.

posted Hide Post
Sorry, I forgot to mention that the database is Oracle 9i

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
quote:
the database is Oracle 9i

This might be the problem and is a good example of why should everybody update there signature..

If you do we all can see your platform and help better!

Por favor....

Frank

prod: WF 7.6.10 platform Windows,
databases: msSQL2000, msSQL2005, RMS, Oracle, Sybase,IE7
test: WF 7.6.10 on the same platform and databases,IE7

Posts: 2387 | Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands | Registered: December 03, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Obviously I misunderstood the function of the signature in the profile. Since there is a place in the profile to enter the application versions and platform information, I presumed that signature was for signature. I have updated it with the requested information.

Thanks!

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
Christine,
A common mistake on the signature thing - I hear IB is working on clarifying this. Back to the question-

If SQLPLUS can't retrieve the data correctly, I would not expect WF's Oracle driver to work either. Very interesting that a third-party SQL tool would work when Oracle's own tool will not.

Since it appears to be an issue entirely related to the database, I would definitely open a case on this one with IBI (and probably with Oracle as well.) The issue does not appear with our DB2/UDB data. Good luck!

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Guru
posted Hide Post
Hi Ingas,

We are just making reports to them.Our ERP system is also sending official documents to our customers everywhere in Europe.An some of them they either a legalname or address or city that contains in general special letters.

Majid.

WebFocus 7.6.5

Gold member
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I am also facing a similar problem. In my case, oracle containing name has some german character "Lübberstedt". When the report is populated with this data. It is printed as "Lübberstedt". The current NLS_lang setting on my reporting server(installed on AIX 5.3) is
LANG = AMENGLISH
CODE_PAGE = 437

The report from same database is populated correctly on my localhost on Windows XP with the same NLS_lang settings.
I tried changing CODE_PAGE to 65001 but still it doesn't work.
Please suggest.

Linux
Excel, HTML, PDF

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I run my procedure on webconsole with code_page set to 65001 and it gave me right value but when I run it from MRE, some square box starts coming.

Linux
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
cburrell & chirag, what are the Oracle environment settings in the box where the WF server runs?

In our environment, we needed to set NLS_LANG appropriately in order to retrieve extended characters from the database back to WF.

This is our setting:
NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1

- Neftali.

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
The aforementioned solution is documented here!

Hope that helps!

- Neftali.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: njsden,

Prod/Dev: WF Server 8008/Win 2008 - WF Client 8008/Win 2008 - Dev. Studio: 8008/Windows 7 - DBMS: Oracle 11g Rel 2
Test: Dev. Studio 8008 /Windows 7 (Local) Output:HTML, EXL2K.

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
NLS settings must be set on BOTH the WF Server AND the WF Client. You should probably be using code page 137.

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Gold member
posted Hide Post
I have set 65001 on WF server console and WF client but still HTML report not getting displayed with correct name though the excel report is coming with correct name. I am using IHS 6.0 and WAS 6.0 as webserver and application server respectively. Is there specific setting i have to do on these servers also.

Regards,
Chirag
(local : WF714, tomcat, windows)
(environment : WF714, WAS6.0, IHS 6.0, UNIX AIX 5.3)

Linux
Excel, HTML, PDF

Virtuoso
posted Hide Post
65001 != 137

Regards,

Darin

In FOCUS since 1991

Platinum Member
posted Hide Post
I concur. As soon as you are dealing with characters above 127 (80 in hex), and you are using "Western data", change your server to code page 137. That is usully ALL you have to do.

Brian Suter
VP WebFOCUS Product Development

Posts: 200 | Location: NYC | Registered: January 02, 2007Report This Post